PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Home Brew Ale.

I’d love a pint of Wherry right now.

I brew it constantly..re-using the same labelled bottles. As one batch gets near the end, another goes on to ferment. Never had it in a pub..or indeed heard of it before this year....but the kit is very highly recommended on all the Home Brew forums. Not just for quality...which changes subtly as the beer matures....but because it happens to be, perhaps, the easiest possible home-brew kit to use, and get consistant good results.

A few years ago there were early problems with kits struggling to make it all the way through fermentation, but a tweak to the yeast strains and a doubling of the quantity made it bulletproof.

I`d never heard of it until I made my own...but when I next get over Norfolk way, it`s one thing I`ll be sure to seek out. Nothing about it is strong....the different elements just seem to come together to form something more than the sum of it`s parts.

Mother in law makes home brew. I swear to god it's about 9%. We collect random glass bottles and drop them off once in a while.

Bit weird seeing your Dolmio sauce bottles being given back as a Christmas present with mother-in-law-moonshine in it.

Mother in law makes home brew. I swear to god it's about 9%. We collect random glass bottles and drop them off once in a while.

Bit weird seeing your Dolmio sauce bottles being given back as a Christmas present with mother-in-law-moonshine in it.
Lightweight.

🤣🤣

A home brew tale of warning
daddy once decided to have a bit of a bash. He acquired a rather large bucket about two ft tall with a somewhat thin and wirey handle
he disappeared every so often to lovingly gaze upon his brew in the airing cupboard upstairs until he declared that the edgington Christmas brew was ready. The memsahib and I plus the staff gathered at the bottom of the grand staircase as he triumphantly appeared at the top of said stair case clutching in his hand the handle of the lovingly made brew
he lifted it aloft to find the handle parted ways with the bucket which perched as it fell on the top step, looking something like the coach on the italian job it rocked a few times then fell cascading numerous pints of foaming Meade down the staircase.
every visitor thereafter over Christmas took one step over the threshold had a quick sniff and inwardly thought we are in for a good party tonight

I used to make wine...Only took a few weeks and me and the mates never let it leave the demi john... Slugged it trying to avoid disturbing the sludge at the bottom... I think you need to stick with your approach. :D

PS..I remember my Grandad making beer and bottling it. Kept it in an old coal cellar... He had problems with exploding bottles though.

Happens if you bottle it too soon, before all the sugars have turned to gas and alcohol. Using a hydrometer prevents that. My wife got a white wine wrong last month, didn`t check before bottling, and we had corks popping out in the spare room one night, traumatising the dog, who uses it as a quiet, safe,retreat.
Well, did.

Happens if you bottle it too soon, before all the sugars have turned to gas and alcohol. Using a hydrometer prevents that. My wife got a white wine wrong last month, didn`t check before bottling, and we had corks popping out in the spare room one night, traumatising the dog, who uses it as a quiet, safe,retreat.
Well, did.

I'd tell him but it's 40 years too late ... I remember what didn't explode was very tasty but only got a snifter at Christmas ( ( I was brung up right :) )Maybe I had the right idea all along: Don't bother bottling it. :)

Well, did.
Now that's what I call a euphemism! 😂

Good to see you back, Bardas, making interesting threads again :D

Been a long time since I did any brewing - we have loads of grapevines, but a friend picks them and makes wine (and distils raki for me, because I am not a big wine drinker).

I am thinking of trying my hand at making some mead. Can get good honey pretty cheap here.

I brew it constantly..re-using the same labelled bottles. As one batch gets near the end, another goes on to ferment. Never had it in a pub..or indeed heard of it before this year....but the kit is very highly recommended on all the Home Brew forums. Not just for quality...which changes subtly as the beer matures....but because it happens to be, perhaps, the easiest possible home-brew kit to use, and get consistant good results.

A few years ago there were early problems with kits struggling to make it all the way through fermentation, but a tweak to the yeast strains and a doubling of the quantity made it bulletproof.

I`d never heard of it until I made my own...but when I next get over Norfolk way, it`s one thing I`ll be sure to seek out. Nothing about it is strong....the different elements just seem to come together to form something more than the sum of it`s parts.

Good to know because decent bitter is hard to find in NI.

I did a lot of work with a large brewery in England but my client contact secretly admitted he loved a pint of Wherry!

Remember downing a few pints of it before we played Norwich once.

Batemans Dark Mild is/was? another great pint from that neck of the woods.

Did you know……….
Gin is just vodka but with juniper berries added. 😲😲😲😲
Only found this fact the other day. Always learning 😀😀😀😀