PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Homophobia in football

Talk us through you using a proxy server. Odd requirement for a new poster. The floors yours until the morning.
I'm required to run nord on my work mobile. No proxy on my personal mobile.. I hope that clears things up for you.. mobile IP address rotate. I'd wager that you device banned TN so he wouldn't need to use a proxy server anyway. He will have a new IP by now~~assuming you don't have a home router ip address for him banned.

Yes. And soon. I am of the firm belief that as soon as one notable player comes out, we'll find that there's a lot of squawking from the bigots... but it will blow itself out very quickly - and all just be shown to be hot air. And I really don't think it will be even 3 years before someone does show that bravery. I'd be amazed if it's more than five.

I think the groundswell of opinion is very strong that people don't care and this will drown out the bigots within weeks/months - they will be shouted down as socially unacceptable. Other sectors of society have done the hard work already. Acting, singing, teaching, scoutmasters, married couples. IMO, players wanting to come out as gay would be just pushing on an open door.... just one that has the facade of looking a bit scary right now.
I certainly hope you are correct - unfortunately I have my doubts. :(

I'm glad to see nobody has been speculating as to who this player might be. This is something I feel strongly about as I think it can be really damaging, not just in football. People can have all sorts of reasons for not coming out, here a a few: they are not ready, they are not actually gay, they have relatives who would be damaged by it, they are simply scared, they are not actually sure of their own sexuality.
The last of these reasons is actually more prevalent than people think. Ian Thorpe, the great Aussie swimmer (Thorpedo) was a long time before coming out. There had been a lot of speculation that he was gay and his mental health suffered as a result. I remember him once saying something along the lines of "People were telling me I was gay before I even knew it myself." How tough must that have been.
I remember how tough it was for my step daughter when she came out. She was fortunate in that all of her family and most of her friends were 100% supportive though one of her close friends was not and ceased being a friend.

I dropped my toast when I read that earlier. Where the hell do you learn that stuff at 12?

Come on, I think you were a kid a lot more recently than I was.

They can be a rather nasty bunch and very prone to calling people cunts.

Whether they preface it with black, gay, Muslim, Jewish, Protestant, Catholic, old, ugly, fat or speccy four eyed is generally down to which one (or more) they think is most likely to upset the recipient.

Whether they preface it with black, gay, Muslim, Jewish, Protestant, Catholic, old, ugly, fat or speccy four eyed is generally down to which one (or more) they think is most likely to upset the recipient.
Yeah tbf "gay" (and other synonyms for it) were a favourite insult at my school.

Still though, I can't imagine anyone my age, or anyone at all for that matter, taking to twitter to call to be that vile. It's just weird. What do they get out of it?

Yeah tbf "gay" (and other synonyms for it) were a favourite insult at my school.

Still though, I can't imagine anyone my age, or anyone at all for that matter, taking to twitter to call to be that vile. It's just weird. What do they get out of it?

Same at my single sex school in the 80s, which was a pretty brutal environment at times. And my only ‘crime‘ was to wear glasses.

Twitter is just an extension of the playground.

Unfortunately, what are fairly isolated incidents now become big news.

Whether that is likely to help eradicate them, I genuinely don’t know.

But probably not.

Gay has changed meaning yet again in recent years. I'm old enough to remember it meaning bright, jolly etc. then it became a synonym for homosexual, now it means sad or pathetic. I remember when I was still teaching a conversation between 2 boys whilst we were waiting for the rest of the class to arrive. It went something like this.

Boy 1: Have you met that new lad yet?
Boy 2: No, what is he like?
Boy 1: He's gay, I don't mean he's a sad so and so, I mean he likes boys. He's ok though.

Don’t leave Gingers out :LOL:

Every credit to Donovan and the team

I think incidents like these firmly shut up the “I don’t care nor do I want to know who you shag and no-one else does either” brigade.

There’s clearly still a huge problem regarding homophobia in football. If more players having the courage to come out could remedy the problem, why would you be opposed or even indifferent to it? Maybe the reason is that you don’t give two hoots about equality in the first place.

One wonders if unscrupulous opposition will take advantage of the Loyal, if they haven’t already.

Seems like they could just sign a ventriloquist and win the game by default.