How much control does Peter Ridsdale have?

LostinSpace

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Staff member
Patron
Been an appalling, appalling few years for Ridsdale. I thought he was good in the Grayson days, just for a bit of balance but seems to have lost the plot.

Please, Christ just listen to Beet and follow what he's suggesting. No mug by all accounts that lad.

Listen to the Beet....

Double J

Forum Patron
Patron
Can imagine Beet throwing targets to Ridsdale who we should be signing.

Can see Ridsdale replying ‘Ive been in football 35 years now, longer than you’ve been alive. I actually watched that player on Quest the other night on the highlights, and I wasn’t impressed.
Let me write a statement for the fans to lap up, lucky you’re getting paid Beet, had to pay HMRC yesterday’

Staffordwhite

Advisor to the Owner

Durutti

Advisor to the Owner
As long as it works how Frankie has clearly been led to believe.

The coach identifies the weakness in the squad, Beet uses his algorithms (or whatever these young uns use), identifies the best player option(s) to strengthen...and briefs Ridsdale.

It all sounds like the recruitment structure we have lacked for many years.

As long as the ageing, historically debatable Ridsdale, understands his place in the structure, trusts those ‘under’ him, keeps his beak out of the football technicalities, and confines himself to the admin, and advising TH to back the coach and Beet, then all should be fine......

We’ll see

It's so frustrating because it should be such a logical, simple structure running things at the heart of the club as it should work on paper...but it just feels like PR will fuck it up. I really hope I'm wrong.

Pne_Gaz

Forum Patron
Patron
It's so frustrating because it should be such a logical, simple structure running things at the heart of the club as it should work on paper...but it just feels like PR will fuck it up. I really hope I'm wrong.
Probably because he already has been for the past few seasons, lad

Silver_fox60017

Forum Patron
Patron
As some have said, if by "leading" Frankie means "coordinating / managing" the various components of the recruitment system then I have no problem with this. I would assume he would leave the identification of gaps in the squad to Frankie and talent to the analysts and/or scouts. If his role is coordinating these aspects to ensure the club is investing its funds in a manner that matches the overall vision for the club and squad and then leading negotiations with clubs, players and agents, then that is nothing to be worried about. Certainly, his interviews over the past year have hinted or directly stated that this is what he has been doing.

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Regardless of personal opinions about Ridsdale, the thing that struck me about his interview on the podcast last year, was how amateurish it felt having the same individual in charge of structuring season ticket sales and heading up player recruitment. Whether that's PR on a power trip or the owner refusing to put in place a proper infrastructure I don't know, but it's no way to run a forward thinking modern day football club. No wonder both recruitment and ST marketing are an absolute shambles.

simonnisbet

Advisor to the Owner
Regardless of personal opinions about Ridsdale, the thing that struck me about his interview on the podcast last year, was how amateurish it felt having the same individual in charge of structuring season ticket sales and heading up player recruitment. Whether that's PR on a power trip or the owner refusing to put in place a proper infrastructure I don't know, but it's no way to run a forward thinking modern day football club. No wonder both recruitment and ST marketing are an absolute shambles.
Agreed! That is very worrying! PR has too much power for me, like you say recruitment and marketing are a shambles, its not fair on the fans that we are paying good money when he is messing everything up. Come on Trevor!

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
We've been told the club is taking a new direction since the recruitment of beet. Looks like nothing has changed and the structure has become even more entrenched. The club structure and how it's run is like something from the fucking 1980s.

Embarrassing.

@FTF @baysidepne big challenge for you here but personally hope you scrutinise it and ask hard questions, this isn't a new direction at all it's the same old failed approach with fewer moany fellas doing the football bit.

PNEFC!

Manager
I’m unsure how it works.. Two possible ways for me.

1. PR is a control freak and wants to manage every detail. Have management over transfers, scouting, input into squad management/training.

2. Which I hope is the more likely:

Preston North End is run like every other business in the world. A boss - PR, with, like it or not 20+ years experience in football. With each department; recruitment, team management, commercial etc. Reporting directly to him?
Eg. Beet identifies a list of signings. Sits down in his monthly 1:1 ;) with PR and says I want to sign XYZ.

Note: PR then probably says no no no and we end with with Rafferty and Stockley. See note 1.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
I’m unsure how it works.. Two possible ways for me.

1. PR is a control freak and wants to manage every detail. Have management over transfers, scouting, input into squad management/training.

2. Which I hope is the more likely:

Preston North End is run like every other business in the world. A boss - PR, with, like it or not 20+ years experience in football. With each department; recruitment, team management, commercial etc. Reporting directly to him?
Eg. Beet identifies a list of signings. Sits down in his monthly 1:1 ;) with PR and says I want to sign XYZ.

Note: PR then probably says no no no and we end with with Rafferty and Stockley. See note 1.
No doubt, PR highly connected experienced operator in football business, no doubt about it, probably a massive asset for the club - if used well.

But the track record (on and off the pitch) of the past 18months specifically shows he's dropped the ball so many times that it's had a massively damaging impact to large swathes of the support base, a thin support base at that.

We need to modernise.

JK

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Head Honcho
Staff member
Patron
No doubt, PR highly connected experienced operator in football business, no doubt about it, probably a massive asset for the club - if used well.

But the track record (on and off the pitch) of the past 18months specifically shows he's dropped the ball so many times that it's had a massively damaging impact to large swathes of the support base, a thin support base at that.

We need to modernise.

In terms of transfers the problem on recent years has not been identifying players.

It has been signing the 4th or 5th on the list for each position.

I would love to know how often we actually sign our no1 target.

Mr. M

Manager
I completely agree. We don't sign our top choice options from the recommendations we identify. In the past recruitment teams have told the board to sign the likes of Toney, Armstrong and Kieffer Moore but didn't get any of them done. Imagine how lethal it would be if we had those strikers up top rather than what we have now....

All down to the shoestring budget we use to operate in and the lack of ingenuity in the leadership to sell season tickets, get commercial sponsors etc. The leadership should look to help make the club more self sufficient rather than a philanthropic venture which the owner helps to break even. The club is stagnating slowly but surely unless they shift their mindset and see the pandemic as a fresh start to the club on and off the pitch.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
A lot of experts on this thread
I do hope CV’s have been forwarded to trev
We're having a debate about how abysmally our club is run on a football forum.

Surely even you'd make a better job of the season tickets situation and probably would be able to manage ensuring that your best players don't get you in a position they're running their contracts down.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
We're having a debate about how abysmally our club is run on a football forum.

Surely even you'd make a better job of the season tickets situation and probably would be able to manage ensuring that your best players don't get you in a position they're running their contracts down.
I wouldn’t
I don’t “do”
I “ask” or “tell”
Joking apart I agree albeit let’s remember he is a human being - it doesn’t need to be over personal

pne_monster

Advisor to the Owner
I completely agree. We don't sign our top choice options from the recommendations we identify. In the past recruitment teams have told the board to sign the likes of Toney, Armstrong and Kieffer Moore but didn't get any of them done. Imagine how lethal it would be if we had those strikers up top rather than what we have now....

All down to the shoestring budget we use to operate in and the lack of ingenuity in the leadership to sell season tickets, get commercial sponsors etc. The leadership should look to help make the club more self sufficient rather than a philanthropic venture which the owner helps to break even. The club is stagnating slowly but surely unless they shift their mindset and see the pandemic as a fresh start to the club on and off the pitch.
So here’s a different perspective on this, as obviously we aren’t privy to all the discussions and debate within the club. Peter said to Alex, look you can keep the big five as long as possible and have a crack at promotion but that means we won’t be able to sign the top targets you want, and they are likely to leave for very little in future. Your choice.

Fingers crossed the new structure means everything is lined up in future and we see a more sustainable model of sales and recruitment.

Keeper1

Forum Patron
Patron
A lot of experts on this thread
I do hope CV’s have been forwarded to trev

I appreciate your view m’Lord that it is TH’s club, his money to invest as he sees fit, but I think people are finding different ways of saying perhaps he should “speculate to accumulate?” Potentially a better business model than stagnation?
There are many who bemoan the lack of investment at times when such investment may have resulted in promotion.
That’s not the opinion of people on here, but the opinion of many in the NES books who, with respect, have a far greater knowledge of the inner workings of the club than ourselves.
There are 2 oft stated causes of dissension or disappointment by both former managers and players, lack of ambition and investment.
The club remains in the hands of TH and yes, it remains in his gift as to how the club is run going forward.
The opinions of managers, players and ourselves on here may differ/agree but success or otherwise lies in the hands of the one man who’s opinion counts. Who’s actions we rightly debate. Hopefully without rancour.