PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

How much is Joe Garner worth?

Next season is a huge one personally for Joe - he's at the right age and in the kind of form to prove he can smash the Championship. Crucially, he's also at the right club and with the right manager so he could be a man in demand in twelve months time...

I don't think he's worth much. He just falls over, or occasionally heads it to the other ones. He can't do one on ones and he only scores pens of late. Sell and get in some better lads.

Agreed his Champ record isn't great but Joe is twice the player he was from when Westley signed him.

This. He's a targetman as well as a poacher now, Kevin Davies probably played a part in that.

He's a lot more physical and intelligent these days and assists nearly as many as he scores, was it 4 of Beckford's play-off goals he set up?

I wouldn't accept anything less than £4m for him and even then i'd be gutted.

Er he's just turned 27 and has scored 51 in 2 seasons.

Age isn't on his side and a 3 year deal would be a risk?

Wind your neck in.

I think we'll give him a three year deal and I think Joe will sign it.

As a supporter of the club and someone who is enjoying the best part of his career, I would like to think it would take something special to prise him away ie. premiership football or a big pay increase. I'd also like to think Joe would want the best possible fee for the club.

I'd hate to see him leave us for someone like Burnley or Blackburn, particularly when they are in the same division. Blackburn might get a bit for Rhodes but with their parachute money ending after this season, they are going to have to be careful with wages and contracts.

If I was a club wanting to buy a striker, £3 million would be the aim, personally don't think we'll let him go for any less than £5 million, he'll get a two year extension and sign that I'd guess/hope!

This. He's a targetman as well as a poacher now, Kevin Davies probably played a part in that.

He's a lot more physical and intelligent these days and assists nearly as many as he scores, was it 4 of Beckford's play-off goals he set up?

I wouldn't accept anything less than £4m for him and even then i'd be gutted.

3 I think, unless you count the one he stepped over / missed at Chesterfield. But you're right, the amount of assists and work he puts in to hassle and batter and wear down the defenders goes largely unnoticed, and indeed the guy behind me in the IP spends a lot of the match slating him and I'm sure he's not alone.

Ha saying that he didn't rate Beckford or Johnson either.

3 I think, unless you count the one he stepped over / missed at Chesterfield. But you're right, the amount of assists and work he puts in to hassle and batter and wear down the defenders goes largely unnoticed, and indeed the guy behind me in the IP spends a lot of the match slating him and I'm sure he's not alone.

Ha saying that he didn't rate Beckford or Johnson either.

Beckford's two goals at Notts County both started with headers than Garner had won as well. He's stupidly good in the air for his size/ frame, no way should he have beaten Evatt to that one in the play-offs.

Beckford's two goals at Notts County both started with headers than Garner had won as well. He's stupidly good in the air for his size/ frame, no way should he have beaten Evatt to that one in the play-offs.

He's 5'10".

It doesn't matter how tall you are if you have a good spring and good timing.

Garner has both of these.

People refer to Garner's "failures" in the championship. You have to bear in mind that he has hardly played a game as a striker at that level. Both Watford and Forest played him on the wing. And as a Northender, could you really see Joe playing on the wing?

His current value is probably about £1m due to lazy English scouting, where clubs only part with money if you are 6ft 4 and lightning quick (don't worry if you can't play football though). If he takes the Champ by storm in the early months of the season though, there could be some interesting offers coming Uncle Trev's way.

If he takes the Champ by storm in the early months of the season though, there could be some interesting offers coming Uncle Trev's way.

Which we could safely ignore if we have tied up Garner in the meantime with, say, a two-year extension to his current contract. Moreover if we were to find ourselves up near the top as the season progressed then I doubt Garner would want to leave.