What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

How the media works

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
CWWcwdZWoAEPLpU.jpg:large

[h=1]Daily Express Issue Correction After Ipso Uphold Complaint About Article On English In Schools[/h]

The Daily Express has been forced to admit a story in which it claimed the English language was dying out in schools was inaccurate.
A complaint was made about the article by Jonathan Portes, of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research which was upheld by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso).

The "special investigation" from July 24th, under the splash headline "311 languages spoken in our schools", also claimed that English-speaking pupils were "becoming a minority in hundreds of classrooms".

The article claimed English "is starting to die out" in schools where it is "hardly heard at all" and where "foreign languages have overtaken English."
This was blamed by the tabloid on a "decades-long open door policy on immigration".
But Ipso ruled these statements to be "completely unsupported by the data the newspaper had cited", breaching Clause 1 (Accuracy) of the Editors’ Code of Practice.
Ipso also highlighted that this was a "particularly concerning case" as the claims had been "repeated throughout the entire article, including prominently in the front-page sub-headline, and because they were central to the report, on a matter of significant importance".
The tabloid was forced to publish a correction on its front page but you had to look very hard to see it...

CWTD4MCWsAApLR4.jpg

The full apology appeared on page 2

CWTHx_eXAAAXfIO.jpg

Its how it works!
Hasn't Emily got nice eyes.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
Not forgetting the Telegraph editor was fined £30,000 at the same time for emailing everyone on their mailing list a plea for Conservative votes. It seems the regulators are finally developing a backbone.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
I know how it works when the Met Office gives out reports.

The 'hottest year on record', 'parts of the UK hotter than the sahara desert'.

Manchester hotter than Malaga.

Today in the Metro, free at train stations in London, headlines were,

'Today will be the hottest day of the Winter Solstice ever recorded, with temperatures reaching 17C, hotter than Spain and Portugal'. Well, I went from Twickenham to Central London, then onto NW London, and it was drizzle, cold about 11C, with strong winds and totally shit weather.

About June last, the Met issued reports that this summer was going to be the hottest on record, well it wasn't the weather was shit apart from 2 weeks.

The Met is a politically motivated organisation, it should be replaced by scientists that are not told what to say. What is the point of having a weather organisation that does not tell the truth?

The BBC pulled out of their deal with the Met office because of differences on climate change and consistently getting wrong long-term forecasts favouring climate change as the cause of the record breaking weather. I don't see Britain as warming, this winter is quite mild, but the summer was mild as well and also quite cold for many weeks, flooding in the North and West Country, more bad weather on it's way.

If the media cannot report what is actually happening when you hat blows off, and you are being lashed with strong winds and rain. Instead they make up fairy story's that you are reading in free rags that have nothing to do with what is actually going on around you.

This causes the sheep effect with, tree huggers and thick twats running around screaming the end of the world is nigh, because of climate change. Used to be global warming, and predictions 20 years ago said that the UK would be like the Mediterranean countries, today, now, this year. Well it isn't and not likely to be, so the rags should shut the fuck up about global warming and come out their offices and try sunbathing i9n this weather.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron

I don't have a big problem with news organisations trying to get a scoop - and trying to gain some self-publicity (by making an impact). As long as it's within reasonable limits.

In isolation, I'd ignore this story but I have already come to the view that Kuennsberg is heavily biased. I have to wonder how her editors allow her to get away with some of her cutting statements (which are often subjective rather than objective) and I also have to wonder about the real motives behind this current stunt.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
How the media works

I watched the Daily Politics programme during the week when Ken Livingstone was a guest. Any criticism of Mr Livingstone is fair game as long as it's reasoned and not blind opposition based on his press profile but the way Andrew Neil treated him was blatant bullying whilst Jo Coburn sat smirking beside him. I've watched the programme with non political people in the past and they've raised the question of why the BBC allow such a blatant bully to present a main news programme.

Compare and contrast Andrew Marr's treatment of Corbyn a few weeks ago and his fawning over Cameron yesterday. Having said that, I missed the last few minutes yesterday and the Squeeze performance - the way Cameron applauded and smiled after they finished meant he's either a very good actor or he's that thick he didn't realise what they were singing about. I was surprised the BBC left it in on the downloadable version I just watched!

sliper

Forum Patron
Patron
I know how it works when the Met Office gives out reports.

The 'hottest year on record', 'parts of the UK hotter than the sahara desert'.

Manchester hotter than Malaga.

Today in the Metro, free at train stations in London, headlines were,

'Today will be the hottest day of the Winter Solstice ever recorded, with temperatures reaching 17C, hotter than Spain and Portugal'. Well, I went from Twickenham to Central London, then onto NW London, and it was drizzle, cold about 11C, with strong winds and totally shit weather.

About June last, the Met issued reports that this summer was going to be the hottest on record, well it wasn't the weather was shit apart from 2 weeks.

The Met is a politically motivated organisation, it should be replaced by scientists that are not told what to say. What is the point of having a weather organisation that does not tell the truth?

The BBC pulled out of their deal with the Met office because of differences on climate change and consistently getting wrong long-term forecasts favouring climate change as the cause of the record breaking weather. I don't see Britain as warming, this winter is quite mild, but the summer was mild as well and also quite cold for many weeks, flooding in the North and West Country, more bad weather on it's way.

If the media cannot report what is actually happening when you hat blows off, and you are being lashed with strong winds and rain. Instead they make up fairy story's that you are reading in free rags that have nothing to do with what is actually going on around you.

This causes the sheep effect with, tree huggers and thick twats running around screaming the end of the world is nigh, because of climate change. Used to be global warming, and predictions 20 years ago said that the UK would be like the Mediterranean countries, today, now, this year. Well it isn't and not likely to be, so the rags should shut the fuck up about global warming and come out their offices and try sunbathing i9n this weather.

I also want to remember these words when someone brings up the climate change argument.. I can't say I agree with every last bit of it. But I do sympathise.

I must admit I feel this way everytime I hear about David Shukman flying off to Alaska to preach to us about climate change while standing next to melting glacier.

Last edited:

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
Funnily enough, Marr forgot to mention the floods to Cameron - the bias manifesting itself in a north south manner as well because I'm pretty sure London or South East floods would have been the main focus of the interview.

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Funnily enough, Marr forgot to mention the floods to Cameron - the bias manifesting itself in a north south manner as well because I'm pretty sure London or South East floods would have been the main focus of the interview.

I thought exactly this when watching it.

Its a bloody joke!