What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

How the media works

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
Yup - the UK is now complicit in helping US governments circumvent the First Amendment.

Very worrying times for journalism - yet, as the Tweet notes, many journalists and politicians waving democracy flags and criticising Russia's clampdown on free speech are craven hypocrites.
Indeed it stinks, can't imagine how Assange is feeling, imagine your life effectively being in the hands of the evilest woman in British politics.

OP
raefil

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Nobody does a handbrake turn the way the Mail does one.

FN2FRAWXIAcjjwh

FN2FRNfXoAEYPvq

Hospitals are full of Mail readers suffering from Whiplash :)

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron

Good to see RSF and some others trying to maintain the pressure.

Snicky

Hasa Diga Eebowai
Patron
This was the US media but I remember the furore around this and was livid at the time with Facebook, twitter and the other bent social media companies doing everything they could to make it a non story and keep it from the public eye.
The last US election was bent.

egghead

Advisor to the Owner
This was the US media but I remember the furore around this and was livid at the time with Facebook, twitter and the other bent social media companies doing everything they could to make it a non story and keep it from the public eye.
The last US election was bent.

note, that's an opinion piece, in the new york post. So a random article from a member of the public, in a tabloid known for being about as factual as an episode of Garfield (you know, a talking cat that eats lasagna). It's sold in supermarkets next to private eye and similar magazines with headlines like 'Prince Charles secret 2-headed boyfriend'. you are smarter than this...

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
A couple of weeks ago I started to watch Al-Jazeera, never watched it before then. The thing is I am unable to understand how a media broadcaster, can be so diverse, documentaries, environmental feeds, with in-depth opinions, on world affairs, more importantly problems in 3rd world countries. The funding for Al-Jazeera must be phenomenal, without adverts. I got fed up of Sky News with that ridiculous, world weather ever 30 mins, then film clips about Dubai or Venice for holidays, Sky seem to waste time as much time as they can with non-news.

The BBC are obsessed with UK politics, with constant re-runs of the Commons without condemning anyone, sort of sitting on the fence without offering opinions almost a mouth-piece for the government. You would think that in the UK we would have a news channel that didn't repeat constant shite. Regarding UK newspapers, I seem to be stuck with the Guardian, as it isn't full of rubbish, although journalists like Marina Hyde make me want to stop reading. I don't read the Telegraph or Times because I have to pay.
I haven't read the Sun, Mirror, Express for decades and probably never will again.

Best way to get news about what is happening in the world is to look outside of the UK, our news-feeds are crap. Maybe I am wrong, but I am turning my back on UK News Channels, half the shit broadcast are determined by a few people that definitely decide what is published and very much influenced by the owners leanings towards the current party in power.

OP
raefil

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
A couple of weeks ago I started to watch Al-Jazeera, never watched it before then. The thing is I am unable to understand how a media broadcaster, can be so diverse, documentaries, environmental feeds, with in-depth opinions, on world affairs, more importantly problems in 3rd world countries. The funding for Al-Jazeera must be phenomenal, without adverts. I got fed up of Sky News with that ridiculous, world weather ever 30 mins, then film clips about Dubai or Venice for holidays, Sky seem to waste time as much time as they can with non-news.

The BBC are obsessed with UK politics, with constant re-runs of the Commons without condemning anyone, sort of sitting on the fence without offering opinions almost a mouth-piece for the government. You would think that in the UK we would have a news channel that didn't repeat constant shite. Regarding UK newspapers, I seem to be stuck with the Guardian, as it isn't full of rubbish, although journalists like Marina Hyde make me want to stop reading. I don't read the Telegraph or Times because I have to pay.
I haven't read the Sun, Mirror, Express for decades and probably never will again.

Best way to get news about what is happening in the world is to look outside of the UK, our news-feeds are crap. Maybe I am wrong, but I am turning my back on UK News Channels, half the shit broadcast are determined by a few people that definitely decide what is published and very much influenced by the owners leanings towards the current party in power.
Ive recommended al jazeera several times on here. A very balanced news source, ive found.

Snicky

Hasa Diga Eebowai
Patron
note, that's an opinion piece, in the new york post. So a random article from a member of the public, in a tabloid known for being about as factual as an episode of Garfield (you know, a talking cat that eats lasagna). It's sold in supermarkets next to private eye and similar magazines with headlines like 'Prince Charles secret 2-headed boyfriend'. you are smarter than this...
Just ignore the fact that the story has been confirmed by the New York Times and the laptop info has been verified.

And keep your head firmly buried in the sand, or up Biden's arse. Your choice.

You are obviously not smarter than this...

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Elon Musk threatening to buy Twitter and make it a platform more aligned with the principles of free speech has certainly stirred things up:

Idiots like this are showing their true colours when it comes to free speech. They want it only for things they agree with - the cozy establishment consensus.

This tool's stance is particularly hypocritical when he works for Jeff Bezos' Washington Post.

Don't get me wrong - I am not a fan of media and social media being subject to the whims of billionaires, whether Bezos, Musk, or Gates. But, I am enjoying watching people squirm with the cognitive dissonance of their own views.

daddyman16

Advisor to the Owner
We've reached peak twilightzone when they're trying to say extinct creatures are woke. Just off to put my brain in the bin.....

I chucked when the guy said:

"We want to show different sides to the creatures and come up with some storylines that are a little bit different and a little bit gentler.”

Storylines for dinosaurs... 🤣

OP
raefil

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
This is how the BBC now works.

FRplg8hXEAEqrGy

Liam Byrne correctly described as a Labour MP

I guess Jamie Wallis has also been correctly described but this time as UK MP.

FRplhH8XoAAnqSy

Both headlines were on the same day 21 minutes apart.

daddyman16

Advisor to the Owner

I'm not sure what Lavrov is trying to do here, surely knowing he's poking Israel with his comments.

However, what are The Guardian doing with their subheading saying Lavrov said Hitler had Jewish blood? He said 'I may be wrong'. 🤣

For the record I think he is confusing Hitler with Eva Braun who I believe had Ashkenazi blood, but I honestly don't know how reliable the research was or its relevance since a lot of people have Sephardic, Ashkenazi or North African blood.