PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Huddersfield Town v PNE - 09/08/22 - KO:19:45 - EFL Cup

Not sure how he can drop McCann after last night plus his game will suit Luton away perfectly. Think RL will come in for some abuse if he sticks with the same midfield as started against Wigan & Hull. In RyLo we trust...
those two statements cant go together..... we either trust him 'whoever he picks' or 'we dont'...

Surely that just shows that moving the ball about, getting different angles etc is important in picking the right pass, rather than just immediately going for it every time?
Clearly, yes, but the theory falls down when your players are unable or unwilling to make the “killer” pass when the moment arrives. You also need decent movement off the ball to provide decent options which requires a fair bit of intelligence.

I think we have a few players who can do both, but some have become so risk averse that they don’t even take relatively small chances on a killer pass sometimes.

That needs to change and seems Fernandez can be part of that.

They're not counting duels as loss of possession I was just providing some additional stats.

Brady lost possession 31 times. This is probably easier to relate to due to him putting in crosses / taking set pieces etc. All other midfielders on both sides lost it far less.
it was simple.. .Browne was the one trying to get thigns going against Hull more than anyone....hence MOM by many if those watching....not bean counting

Fuller highlights now on official site. The pass from Fernandez that almost sends Parrott through in the first half is world class. Ledson's passing also looks purposeful. But apart from that Parrott, Potts and Woodburn each came close to scoring further goals. Woodman can shave things very fine when passing away from goal. We seem to have let them exert a bit of pressure later on - was RL a bit cavalier in the number of youngsters he sent on. But we saw things out.

Fuller highlights now on official site. The pass from Fernandez that almost sends Parrott through in the first half is world class. Ledson's passing also looks purposeful. But apart from that Parrott, Potts and Woodburn each came close to scoring further goals. Woodman can shave things very fine when passing away from goal. We seem to have let them exert a bit of pressure later on - was RL a bit cavalier in the number of youngsters he sent on. But we saw things out.
Its difficult to overstate the impact Fernandez had down that right hand side. Absolute night and day from all those games where Josh Earl was playing out of position, looking completely lost in the final third. We now have the purposeful, aggressive attacking play down that side that we have needed so much.

From what I’ve seen of Ethan Laird, he plays in a very similar way to Fernandez but on the right flank - it would be a great signing if we can get him and we’d start to be a real threat with more than just one dimension. Add another classy striker and, well… who knows?

Reactions: rem
nowt to do with them ernest..... once Riis replaced Parrott we could not play through him to get the team higher up the pitch....and tbf a few of them looked a bit shattered the last 15 incl 3 of the 4 midfield lads and so they weren't bombing forward either too much....
Terriers subs were trying a bit harder than the starters too.....

We like a good moan I know.
But look at it this way. I just got back from a short trip in Shrewsbury, got talking to a couple of Carlisle fans they were in the same bnb. Been down to watch their team get beat off the Shrews 3-2, robbed they said.
Had a good chat, they both said, 'well you're doing alright'.
I thought they'd been in L2 for a while, 8 years it turns out. Relegation to the national league hangs over them as a distinct possibility.
I look at the loan signings and even the realistic talk of CR coming back. Pretty comfortable in the championship. Guess they're right, We're doing alright.

Its difficult to overstate the impact Fernandez had down that right hand side. Absolute night and day from all those games where Josh Earl was playing out of position, looking completely lost in the final third. We now have the purposeful, aggressive attacking play down that side that we have needed so much.

From what I’ve seen of Ethan Laird, he plays in a very similar way to Fernandez but on the right flank - it would be a great signing if we can get him and we’d start to be a real threat with more than just one dimension. Add another classy striker and, well… who knows?

As you say Earl was totally out of position - I have no doubt he will do well being played consistently as a left-sided defender. But Fernandez it is already apparent is something special.

nowt to do with them ernest..... once Riis replaced Parrott we could not play through him to get the team higher up the pitch....and tbf a few of them looked a bit shattered the last 15 incl 3 of the 4 midfield lads and so they weren't bombing forward either too much....
Terriers subs were trying a bit harder than the starters too.....

Fair enough. We seem to have a once in a generation maybe once in every two generations crop of youngsters at the moment and how RL guides them through the next couple of seasons could prove fundamental to how this club fares over the next decade.

As for Riis he is having stop-start beginning to the season - he just needs a goal to get him underway.

I've probably seen as much of Earl as the vast majority of the forum and I can count on the thumbs of 1 foot the number of times where I've seen him at LCB in the academy.
his best season was as the attacking left midfield (in a 4 4 2 type role) as a 2nd year, having had 1 season at left back.....