PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Iconic moments (mostly goals)

Has anyone mentioned Sean St Ledgers header v QPR to take us in to playoffs ? Minutes before the crowd had roared to the news that Sheffield Wednesday I think had scored against Cardiff meaning a North End win would take us 6 th. Then st ledger rose to head in. A great moment, something that i thought only happened to other clubs.
Good shout. For me, the buzz growing to a roar was more iconic than the goal. I’ve seen a few big goals, but that murmur/rumour/roar coming after such an unbelievable month was something else.

Good shout. For me, the buzz growing to a roar was more iconic than the goal. I’ve seen a few big goals, but that murmur/rumour/roar coming after such an unbelievable month was something else.
Could not agree with this more. Remember it like it was yesterday. It was genuinely spine-tingling.

Has to be the replica goal of Derek Temple v Forest in the FA Cup 3rd Rd season 1969.
This was a fantastic 3-0 win against a 1st Division side and Temple’s goal was identical to the one he scored v Sheffield Wed at Wembley.
He picked the ball up just inside the Forest half and ran with and beat the Forest goalkeeper with a fine shot!
That was game over and sent 20000 fans wild, next round bring on Chelsea.
I used to listen to the draw on my little radio at school, what a draw when Chelsea came out!
The brilliant FA Cup.

Thanks guys these are as someone says spine tingling memories.

Lonergsn chipping keeper at Leicester.

Creswell putting us 1 up at Chelsea although the view was like a letter box

keep them coming please although it’s showing us what we’re missing these last few years

For those old enough to have seen. Howard Kendalls goal in the snow swept fa Cup replay under the lights at Deepdale. And Peter Thompson cutting in from the left at Old Trafford in the replay against Liverpool. Tony Singleton crashing one in from 40 yards out against Swansea at Villa in the semi final. I could go on.

For those old enough to have seen. Howard Kendalls goal in the snow swept fa Cup replay under the lights at Deepdale. And Peter Thompson cutting in from the left at Old Trafford in the replay against Liverpool. Tony Singleton crashing one in from 40 yards out against Swansea at Villa in the semi final. I could go on.
Oddly I was there too along with Doug Holden and Alex Dawson scoring at Wembley 1964. Memories.

Alan Irvine said he’d never heard anything like it and it was something he’d never forget.

I think it was more a case of Gregan looking up, spotting the keeper off his line and then knocking it in the top corner with his wrong foot from (close to) the half way line.

Not bad for a big lad, was it?
What a goal, what a weekend in Gt Yarmouth

Good times
Garners beauty against Rotherham play off semi Deepdale.
Best goal I’ve ever seen in person if not ever.

Plenty of moments to choose from Though

For me, Lee Fowler’s last minute free kick away at Bradford as it was the first time I’d seen us score away from home.

Rankines winner against Birmingham

TCs winner against the lashers

Beckfords hat trick at Wembley

Mcgeadys equaliser at the death which pretty much sent the plastics down

Last edited:
Bobby Charlton against Sunderland at Deepdale was an immense strike in the old league cup, I believe it was in the year after Sunderland had beaten Leeds at Wembley in the FA Cup too.

Twisted and turned Dave Watson inside out then released a 25-30 yard rocket. Montgomery in goal didn’t have a chance. 2-0 win. Charlton knocked the belief out of that immense Sunderland side who where a division higher than us.

Only time I’ve seen equivalent power in a shot was in the same season when Charlton scored his first PNE goal against Bournemouth in a 5-2 (?) win. Hit on the volley from the corner of the penalty area. Straight above the keeper’s head. The keeper never moved, didn’t see it.

Alex Bruce deserves a couple of mentions. The volley on the turn from the edge of the area against Blackburn is an amazing strike. Perfect balance, low and exquisitely timed. Bruce’s volley from outside the area for his 150th goal was right up there too, towards the end of his PNE career.

I enjoyed seeing Tony Morley dribbling past some five Blackburn players at Deepdale, starting with his back to goal on the left wing in PNE’s half — end product a well struck goal low into the corner from the edge of the box.

Eyres volley v Wigan at Springfield Park. Second only to Garner's v Rotherham for me.

Never been able to find footage of it, but I do recall it being Goal of the Season for North End.

It was sublime. Even the Latics supporters were applauding it.

Beckfords hat trick goal at wembley. We got a proper view of that one and the Instant the ball crossed the line is imprinted on my brain and will never leave me.

Raynor v Torquay and Ranks obviously, both in the same net!

Jacko shutting Ternant up after 90 secs against the dingles in 2000 (classic jacko header, I was directly behind the flight of the ball, lovely stuff!) then putting that one away at Wigan a few weeks later.

Eyres volley v Wigan at Springfield Park. Second only to Garner's v Rotherham for me.

Never been able to find footage of it, but I do recall it being Goal of the Season for North End.

It was sublime. Even the Latics supporters were applauding it.
2-2 draw. From memory (which may be incorrect) all the goals were in about the first 15 minutes.

Beckfords hat trick goal at wembley. We got a proper view of that one and the Instant the ball crossed the line is imprinted on my brain and will never leave me.

Raynor v Torquay and Ranks obviously, both in the same net!

Jacko shutting Ternant up after 90 secs against the dingles in 2000 (classic jacko header, I was directly behind the flight of the ball, lovely stuff!) then putting that one away at Wigan a few weeks later.
Both from corners. That 3-0 win at Burnley was great. Ian Wright was playing for Burnley.

There have been a few mentions of cracking goals from the halfway line in this thread, such as Jeff Wrightson’s great strike, Macken against City and David Eyres. I seem to recall us ‘scoring’ via an own goal from the halfway line in around 1987 - possibly 87/88 season - against Bury. Think the defender was Bury’s Andy Hill, who somehow managed to lob his own goalkeeper from fully 50 yards. I’ve got the compilation video of the goals of the season somewhere... if only I still had a video player to play it on!!