PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If not Neil then who?

I think we need to go in a different direction personally. I don't want us to carry on with direct, backs to the wall football every week and I think Ainsworth would probably be a continuation of that. I think there of better candidates if we are aiming to get the ball on the floor a bit more and bring on younger players.
For a similar reason, I'm not convinced McAvoy should get the job permanently.

While it's great he has ground out the points we needed to stay up by getting back to basics, I'm not sure I could stomach 46 games of Frankieball.

Although who knows - maybe this is the "philosophy" and the "style" and the "club identity" that PR is planning for us?

It's a bit harsh to criticise him for being bottom of the league. That's exactly where they should be and it would be a minor miracle for Wycombe to stay up in this league. Just look at their squad and resources.

But I do agree that the fact that he is an ex-player probably is playing a big part in the desire to have him appointment.

I think we need to go in a different direction personally. I don't want us to carry on with direct, backs to the wall football every week and I think Ainsworth would probably be a continuation of that. I think there of better candidates if we are aiming to get the ball on the floor a bit more and bring on younger players.
It's not really harsh, and as I said, for the sake of debate it should be noted as it seems to be being glossed over.

It's a bit harsh to criticise him for being bottom of the league. That's exactly where they should be and it would be a minor miracle for Wycombe to stay up in this league. Just look at their squad and resources.

But I do agree that the fact that he is an ex-player probably is playing a big part in the desire to have him appointment.

I don't disagree with that. Personally, i don't care what type of football we play as long as we have a plan, and achieve results. We were hardly a great footballing side under Davies, but we got results.

I think someone like Grant McCann will get the job. With the likes of Appleton, Ainsworth, Robins heavily considered.

‘Our recruitment methods’ is a fancy term for whoever Peter Ridsdale (aged 69 and never managed a game in his life) takes a fancy to. 😏
You thought my praise of Ainsworth and Wycombe was nauseating bollocks. And you asked if he wasn't an ex player would it be the same.

My reply was even if wasn't an ex player, I think the achievements of Wycombe and Ainsworth has been incredible. My thoughts are no different even if he wasn't an ex player.
What !

So I didn't say that, thanks for clarifying.

Ainsworth, like Westley, got a technically limited but willing group of players promoted twice in quick succession. The problem came for Westley when his "different" methods didn't work at a bigger club. The team building and motivation didn't have the same effect with better quality players with experience in the game as it would with plucky lower/non-league grafters. Not the same extreme as Medals by any stretch, but I can see it being a similar issue with Ainsworth.

Appleton on the other hand has experience working with higher calibre players having been involved with Premier League coaching at Leicester and u-23 development with WBA, as well as gaining that knowledge of the lower leagues where we will be signing 95% of our players. It's about balance. In the same way elite level players can be frustrated and struggle to motivate lesser able players (Roy Keane springs to mind, plus Shrek recently) the same goes for lower league managers who can't seem to get the best out of top talent (Nathan Jones, Cowleys etc)
>>> These comments about Appleton and North End are amongst the most prescient and relevant remarks written in this forum for many a month. Totally agree Bobbage....

Yep, I'm left on my own here no doubt about it, backing the manager who was 5pts off the play offs last time we played Coventry before 3 first team players were sold HAHAHA dead funny
Your posts do suggest you're incredibly blind to AN faults.

The turnaround in performances highlights this massively

Well done Wycombe - but do I want to chance a relegated championship manager with my team because he played for us ?

Neil Warnock got relegated with Bury in 1999 from division 1 so similar example, done o.k since at this level. When you think about it aswell Warnock had been a manager for around a decade at that point so similar length to Ainsworth who's been at Wycombe since about 2012 I think and had that stint at QPR.

It's hardly Rooney taking Derby potentially down type example.

Ainsworth is one of those that I wouldn’t choose, but would be happy to see in the dugout, purely for the passion. I don’t think he’s the answer but he’d have my full support for as long as he was manager
I'll always back the manager in charge at the time, but short of bringing Westley back, I can't think of anyone I would want less than Ainsworth.

Neil Warnock got relegated with Bury in 1999 from division 1 so similar example, done o.k since at this level. When you think about it aswell Warnock had been a manager for around a decade at that point so similar length to Ainsworth who's been at Wycombe since about 2012 I think and had that stint at QPR.

I bet he wasn’t getting loads of offers whilst he was at Bury then

I bet he wasn’t getting loads of offers whilst he was at Bury then

He took over Sheffield United about four months later and been one of the better performing championship managers ever since.

Not sure Ainsworth will scale up as much in this division though but seems a bit of bizarre argument to dismiss him because he's just got relegated out of a league Wycombe were massively overachieving to be in the first place.

By that point Warnock had got Scarborough into the Football League for the first time, then took over Notts County, back to back promotions in his first two full seasons there to get them into the First Division. Then had a quick spell at Torquay and kept them up before he took the Huddersfield job, they got promoted in his second season there. Left after that promotion to take the Plymouth job, got them promoted in his first season there. Couldn't keep Oldham and Bury up at this level in his next two jobs but he was an experienced manager at the time who'd been promoted at several different clubs, including from this division.

Interesting that Swansea in 6th after 43 games have 76 points.

It is going to be a record breaking 6th position points finish this season I reckon, a freak of a season.

What the actual record is I've no idea. I'd guess at around 77?

Maybe it was meant to be, with all of the variables available, that we would finish mid table this season. Given the various disruptions (C19, contracts, sackings) I'll take this.