PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If not Neil then who?

I can’t see Rafferty going as we need him as cover
I know he's been injured of late but between January and April he was struggling to get a game despite the club having no other orthodox right back on the books.

If we strengthen that area in the summer, which we will, then he needs to move on.

Yeh my reaction is negative I do think at least a couple of candidates would be a better option but it’s only my take on things others like yourself think he deserves a chance, even you seem to have reservations but it will ultimately be Trevor and Peter who will choose our next coach .
We're not going to get Guardiola or Tuchel, so realistically, there will be some reservations over whoever is appointed. I'm not 100% convinced by FM, but neither am I convinced by any of the other names mentioned.

Surely it's inconceivable that he won't be offered the job after our best run of wins for 5 years and 17 points from 8 games? Then again, this is North End.......

It’s funny the two reply’s to my apparently negative comment that Frankie wouldn’t be my first choice , both seem to want him to get the job but both have reservations. Not exactly ringing endorsements .

It’s funny the two reply’s to my apparently negative comment that Frankie wouldn’t be my first choice , both seem to want him to get the job but both have reservations. Not exactly ringing endorsements .
Cautiously optimistic which is the best feeling you can have for even the best candidate.

How would a back 5 of
Niambe: SVDB: Storey:Hughes: Reach look?

2 decent wing backs and a well balanced back 3
I like your thinking. If we keep Frankie and he uses wingbacks I love the idea of signing Reach, feel he's built for the LWB role. Nyambe is exciting at RWB. Getting Sepp back would be excellent and we'd have Bauer back. Possibly have Earl back too and he suited that LWB role

Nyambe, Sepp, Bauer, Hughes, Reach.

Cunningham, Storey, Hunts as an options (feel back for Storey because he's been terrific these last few weeks).

How would a back 5 of

2 decent wing backs and a well balanced back 3
I like your thinking. If we keep Frankie and he uses wingbacks I love the idea of signing Reach, feel he's built for the LWB role. Nyambe is exciting at RWB. Getting Sepp back would be excellent and we'd have Bauer back. Possibly have Earl back too and he suited that LWB role

Cunningham, Storey, Hunts as an options (feel back for Storey because he's been terrific these last few weeks).
Cunners starts when fit, surely?

He’s still very much got it IMO.

I have watched Sheffield Wednesdays last three games Reach has done ok but nothing to suggest he will improve us that much , yes he was involved in a couple of chances created but a bit like Barky his crosses were more hit and hope rather than finding a man, and he hardly went past a man just preferd to cross the ball.from wherever did make a cock up between him and the keeper that cost Wednesday a goal .
Three games I agree is probably not enough to judge him totally but from what I saw his best is behind him .

Reminds me of Ken Brown saying about Tony Woodcock "he's fast, strong, sharp and skilful but otherwise he's useless".
Yes I wondered about that while writing.... woodcock was far from the perfect forward though.... is it that FM has improved us from an erratic 4 out of 10 on a bad day or 8 on a good day to becoming 7 out of 10 every game?

How would a back 5 of
Expensive?

With Cunningham already signed up for 2 years, and Hughes and Earl already here, I don't see us spending big money on yet another LWB who, as Lenny mentions above, looked anything but up for the fight with Sheff Wed these last few weeks.