PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If that’s the best we can offer for the FA cup?

Then support Chorley..........Turgid shite in the league and absolutely no intent regards the FA cup, so only a relegation fight to look forward to?
compared to the previous 5 decades when we've always had great cup runs and been in and around the Prem time and again...

oh for the 40 years when we'd have begged for the chance to be top half of Div 2 as it really is....champ now....

compared to the previous 5 decades when we've always had great cup runs and been in and around the Prem time and again...

oh for the 40 years when we'd have begged for the chance to be top half of Div 2 as it really is....champ now....
Oh for all those decades between 1888 and 1970 when we were never out of the top two divisions.

I'd argue the Arsenal game in 99 turned heads. Even if we didn't finish the job. The way we had a go was what everyone loved. It is no wonder fans are getting bored now. No fans disrespect the cup, only the club's.
Good showing in 2001 or 2002 away at Chelsea as well. Unlucky not to salvage something from that one.

Ultimately it comes down to the champions League being too big and making the Europa League worthless. If the latter had more kudos the big clubs would be more interested in qualifying and the prestige of the FA cup would increase.

But instead we are in a situation where the europa league is viewed as a distraction from securing that all important 17th spot in the premiership and the knock on effects of that are very depressing.

As ever the big clubs feathering their own nest and a big fuck off to the rest of us.
I’d strip 4th place of a Champions League qualifying spot and gift it to the winners of the Cup instead. That would make things interesting. Pretty much an impossibility given you’d have to do the same for every cup competition in Europe but it would imbue it with so much more significance.

Something very counter-intuitive about rewarding someone for finishing fourth anyway.

Playing the semi-finals at Wembley was a bad move. I know the main reason was that the FA needs the money, and 4 teams get the Wembley experience, rather than 2, but for me, it diminishes, devalues the occasion of the final, takes away a lot of the magic. That and playing the final at teatime or whenever, rather than the traditional 3pm.

Playing the semi-finals at Wembley was a bad move. I know the main reason was that the FA needs the money, and 4 teams get the Wembley experience, rather than 2, but for me, it diminishes, devalues the occasion of the final, takes away a lot of the magic. That and playing the final at teatime or whenever, rather than the traditional 3pm.
Playing the semis at neutral grounds was just class in itself too

I’ve had a think about this, and maybe this fielding a weakened team is just a cop out for managers, they know how tricky the FA cup is, and by doing this they have an oven ready excuse for losing.

I’ve made my position clear on other threads that I think it’s totally wrong for a club in our position to field a weakened team, and the way we have done it is just crass bad management because he has put out a mish mash group with many of the players in not good form or low on confidence and made the situation even worse.

This cup tie had a clear week either side with no games, the pressure comes when we play 2 games a week for several weeks running, not now.

Tbh Alex and Riddler, be better if you just said we aren’t competing or we will be putting a shit team out so don’t get your hopes up.

Thanks AN for taking away that special pleasure of listening to the FA Cup draw tonight.

What you have done as a manager of my football club is pathetic, you gave up, you didn’t try, you lied to us.

Not good enough Alex.

^ This

I imagine you speak for plenty of North End supporters, me certainly.

Was that League Cup?
We played Everton at Goodison in the FA Cup during Moyes' time, i couldnt get a ticket in the away end so had to sit with the Everton fans, think they beat us 2-0, pretty sure Unsworth scored for them and that American striker (not McBride), cant recall his name

We played Everton at Goodison in the FA Cup during Moyes' time, i couldnt get a ticket in the away end so had to sit with the Everton fans, think they beat us 2-0, pretty sure Unsworth scored for them and that American striker (not McBride), cant recall his name
Joe Max Moore. Was a bit of a Toffee in my youth.

I attended the 1999 Arsenal game at Deepdale with my dad. Think it was the first game we ever went to together and one of my earliest in general. God, what an occasion. Remember it like it was yesterday. The feeling that we might pull off a huge upset was so palpable.

It really was an absolute pleasure to support our great club around the turn of the century.

I attended the 1999 Arsenal game at Deepdale with my dad. Think it was the first game we ever went to together and one of my earliest in general. God, what an occasion. Remember it like it was yesterday. The feeling that we might pull off a huge upset was so palpable.

It really was an absolute pleasure to support our great club around the turn of the century.

Absolutely! We were on the crest of a wave and it really felt like the whole club and the town were pulling in the right direction. Town end bouncing and marching up the league. Great times.