PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If you had a magic wand

NORTHENDRTOPS

French scout
Patron
St. Anne's on the sea, but not for long, sold up
If you had a magic wand who would you bring back to life and why. For me it would have to be my dad, he had so much wisdom and humour and we were so close. Even now almost 40 years after I feel robbed he worked all his life and died before he even got his pension. In 1965 he won £50 at PNE supporters club where he would attend every Friday, and it was presented by Sir Tom, he often spoke of that evening but only about meeting Sir Tom not about winning £50. He worked as sales manager at Ribble leathers of Preston for many years, maybe some people on here have relatives who worked there.

If you had a magic wand who would you bring back to life and why. For me it would have to be my dad, he had so much wisdom and humour and we were so close. Even now almost 40 years after I feel robbed he worked all his life and died before he even got his pension. In 1965 he won £50 at PNE supporters club where he would attend every Friday, and it was presented by Sir Tom, he often spoke of that evening but only about meeting Sir Tom not about winning £50. He worked as sales manager at Ribble leathers of Preston for many years, maybe some people on here have relatives who worked there.
My dad I think, he too died before he got his pension, loved Tom Finney, stopped going on PNE wHen Sir Tom retired, and also worked at Ribble leathers from the day he left school, to the day it shut down. he died age 57 in 1987 had young Grandkids 3 have a vague memory, my daughter was only 16 weeks old, I would have loved to have seen her wrap him round her little finger, she was his only granddaughter, and my nephew was born after he died, so he only has photographs to look at He lost out on so much.

My dad I think, he too died before he got his pension, loved Tom Finney, stopped going on PNE wHen Sir Tom retired, and also worked at Ribble leathers from the day he left school, to the day it shut down. he died age 57 in 1987 had young Grandkids 3 have a vague memory, my daughter was only 16 weeks old, I would have loved to have seen her wrap him round her little finger, she was his only granddaughter, and my nephew was born after he died, so he only has photographs to look at He lost out on so much.
He will have known my dad, because my dad worked there for many many years, probably about 20 or 25 years. Dad worked as sales manager mainly on the second floor with the girls who made the leather goods, he also went to stores and trade fairs with Jack Scott the owner and Danny his brother, my dad died in 1981 at the age of 63. I also worked at Ribble Leathers in my school holidays on the 2nd floor with Les Green who was foreman, for me to have something like 6 or 7 quid at the end of a week was amazing !!. Smelly place to work but enjoyed the fun and everyone was pretty decent and seemed to enjoy life. Sad that your dad died at 57 that is no age at all. I always think that when people die young they haven't had a retirement which is truly sad. The Scott's also had the Leather shop in Preston town centre opposite Miller arcade and two more in Blackburn and Wigan, and Jack and his wife lived in a grand house in Grimsargh, it can be seen from the main Longridge /Preston road. Thanks for sharing that it's brought back so many memories for me. Dad worked throughout the company after he first started in washing the leather and then cutting etc. He must have worked with your dad.

They also had one on wellington road I think my dad was a tanner, the lime they used made him. Illevery year
You're right they took on the old Co op I believe but not for long. Many substances in many walks of employment have been killers for lots of unsuspecting workers, I don't expect we will ever know just how many workers in industry suffered just like your dad, without recognition too. Your dad will have worked on the first floor I think, a really skilled job and one which he must have been good at to be there as long as he was.

I've remembered the name of the guy who sadly lost his arm, it was Blair something.