PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ignoring Health concerns

222Mark

"Clueless"
Staff member
Patron
I'm going to start this thread off the back of what has happened to our family this week. On Wednesday we lost our nephew Ryan to bowel cancer, he was only 38 and had been battling the disease since 2018.

We recently had the pleasure of welcoming Ryan officially into the family after a 10 year romance to our niece Danielle, after 3 years of trying to get married they finally tied the knot at the end of July this year. Sadly 3 months later she will be planning his funeral instead of a life together.

In his last few weeks Ryan has tried to raise the profile of ignoring health problems, hoping they would go away and dismissing out of the ordinary as normal. He wanted to tell people not to be embarrassed of seeing the doctor about problems with our private bits. He knew if he'd acted earlier when he first noticed things were not right, he could have survived this horrendous disease. He spoke to a newspaper last week about what he wanted to say so I'll leave the link below. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Anyone ever concerned or embarrassed about going to the doctors with a health problem needs to watch this by Russell Howard

Sums it up perfectly and light heartedly. They really don’t care. There’s not much you can show them they’ve never seen before.

Sorry for your loss, Mark.

I've suffered in the past due to ignoring warnings my body was giving out. Numb hands, blurred vision, lots of migraine attacks over a period of six months. Had a left occipital infarct, in other words a stroke. In my forties at the time and it was a shock to the system, a real what the fuck? Scared the bejesus out of me.

Fortunately I've made a near full recovery, still have some issues, but I'm able to live life. It could've been so much worse. If anyone is in any doubt or worried any thing that is continually out of the ordinary, ring your GP.

Sorry for your loss, Mark.

I've suffered in the past due to ignoring warnings my body was giving out. Numb hands, blurred vision, lots of migraine attacks over a period of six months. Had a left occipital infarct, in other words a stroke. In my forties at the time and it was a shock to the system, a real what the fuck? Scared the bejesus out of me.

Fortunately I've made a near full recovery, still have some issues, but I'm able to live life. It could've been so much worse. If anyone is in any doubt or worried any thing that is continually out of the ordinary, ring your GP.
Thanks @Wibble, it's seems quite common (mainly in us men) ignoring our body's warning signs. Trouble is we're too proud and don't like bothering anybody. I know from now on I won't ever ignore anything that's out of the ordinary that goes on with myself, my family or my friends and work colleagues.

so sorry for your loss Mark, your words are so very accurate and to the point, I ignored an obvious health issue for 2 decades and am very fortunate to be able to live a relatively "normal" life (2 ops and now meds for life).

Last edited:
Anyone ever concerned or embarrassed about going to the doctors with a health problem needs to watch this by Russell Howard

Sums it up perfectly and light heartedly. They really don’t care. There’s not much you can show them they’ve never seen before.

Great clip that but those statistics he shows are totally shocking 😟

I went to a doctor some years ago with concerns about my bowels because of family history. When you're dripping blood out your back passage there's really no reason for anyone to ignore that sort of thing.
Thankfully nothing came up, aside from a young doctor's finger up my bum, but I would much, much rather that than leave it until it's too late.

Similarly I've got a tiny pen mark sized dark dot that has appeared out of nowhere on my palm. Likely nothing, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Sorry to hear that @222Mark. Damn awful for the whole family. By far too young to be taken away from you all.

Just as we are making good strides with mental health and feeling we can finally talk about it, don’t neglect your personal health. You can talk about that too. 💙

Sorry to hear that @222Mark. Damn awful for the whole family. By far too young to be taken away from you all.

Just as we are making good strides with mental health and feeling we can finally talk about it, don’t neglect your personal health. You can talk about that too. 💙
Thanks @prestonmadhouse it's been a weird last few days, almost feels like it's not real. You've just said what I was thinking, we've made a lot if ground in mental health awareness but this problem seems like it needs a campaign of it's own.

I'm going to start this thread off the back of what has happened to our family this week. On Wednesday we lost our nephew Ryan to bowel cancer, he was only 38 and had been battling the disease since 2018.

We recently had the pleasure of welcoming Ryan officially into the family after a 10 year romance to our niece Danielle, after 3 years of trying to get married they finally tied the knot at the end of July this year. Sadly 3 months later she will be planning his funeral instead of a life together.

In his last few weeks Ryan has tried to raise the profile of ignoring health problems, hoping they would go away and dismissing out of the ordinary as normal. He wanted to tell people not to be embarrassed of seeing the doctor about problems with our private bits. He knew if he'd acted earlier when he first noticed things were not right, he could have survived this horrendous disease. He spoke to a newspaper last week about what he wanted to say so I'll leave the link below. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sorry for your loss Mark. My stepfather died some years ago from bowel cancer after ignoring the signs he was ill so I have some empathy. Hope your niece is coping ok.

So sorry to hear of your loss it’s just awful, but I have always said to People go to you GP dont literally die of embarrassment or ignorance. People are just embarrassed by it or think it will go away if they ignore it Sadly.
Never be embarrassed about going to your GP. He may ask for samples that you are embarassed about, and you don’t want to hand to a receptionist, don’t be, we handle hundreds of samples a week.
look after yourselves folks
mark222, my sincerest condolences to you and your family.