in defence of Sinclair

Chartley

Forum Patron
Patron
Throughout the game on Saturday, Sinclair was regularly picked up by at least 2 and often 4 players.

I still want to see more from him, but surely that means there are other players bombing on in space? Nope.

As the German commentator said on DAZN, Sinclair is the only quality forward PNE have got. Hardly his fault.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
He's our only forward at the moment that looks like doing anything. Can't do it all on his own. Like Barky he would benefit from a proper focal point down the middle who creates space for the wide players and occupies defenders.
I wouldn't be against playing him more centrally. The run he made vs Wigan when he should have finished it is exactly what's missing right now.

sf

Advisor to the Owner
I thought Sinclair did well on Saturday, in the first half anyway.

He'd be much better if we had a left back who can go beyond him, but we don't, or possibly they're under instruction not to.

Scored against Luton and should have been given a penalty on Saturday.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
He would also benefit from AN not stifling what he is best at. That's the crux of it.
Personally I think people are taking this tracking back thing a bit too far.

The best wide players in Europe at the moment, Mane and Salah, fully track back to help their team. Mahrez, Sterling and Sane all have to track back for City. It stops none of them scoring goals or being very effective in the final third.

Now obviously they are top quality players, but if teams as good as that and managers as good as that demand defensive work rate from their wide players, then it shows how important it is. We aren't a good enough side to carry passengers who don't track back and leave our full backs exposed.

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron

The best wide players in Europe at the moment, Mane and Salah, fully track back to help their team. Mahrez, Sterling and Sane all have to track back for City. It stops none of them scoring goals or being very effective in the final third.

Now obviously they are top quality players, but if teams as good as that and managers as good as that demand defensive work rate from their wide players, then it shows how important it is. We aren't a good enough side to carry passengers who don't track back and leave our full backs exposed.
That argument would work better if we sprang from defence to full-on attack with all the pace and athleticism of one of those top teams.

But we don't, because we can't.

We just get everyone tracking back and defending because it's cheaper to have bodies camped in our own defensive third than buying full backs who can do their job at Championship level.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Throughout the game on Saturday, Sinclair was regularly picked up by at least 2 and often 4 players.

I still want to see more from him, but surely that means there are other players bombing on in space? Nope.

As the German commentator said on DAZN, Sinclair is the only quality forward PNE have got. Hardly his fault.
Blimey, if four opposition players were regularly picking Sinclair up, what on earth were the rest of our players doing with all that empty space? That would have given us ten against six over the rest of the pitch.

Kathryn

Advisor to the Owner
Blimey, if four opposition players were regularly picking Sinclair up, what on earth were the rest of our players doing with all that empty space? That would have given us ten against six over the rest of the pitch.
But if Sinclair had the ball he couldn’t get it to the other players if he was surrounded.

Don't forget though, we have 2 sitting midfielders plonked in front of that back 4. If the 10 tracks back during an opposition attack, that's 7 players defending for starters plus the keeper of course. Of course the wide men need to track back but the 2 sitters can always go across to cover!! We've no outlet at all these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge admirer of Barky, he can be our outlet, but when can you honestly say he last used that blistering pace to effect? Barnsley at home an that was an eternity ago!! Of course, that could all be down to the way we play now

sussexrob

Forum Patron
Patron
That argument would work better if we sprang from defence to full-on attack with all the pace and athleticism of one of those top teams.

But we don't, because we can't.

We just get everyone tracking back and defending because it's cheaper to have bodies camped in our own defensive third than buying full backs who can do their job at Championship level.
Oh to have the days of a left back like Matt hill bombing down the wing and putting a decent cross in something our players seem not to be able to do.
Is it any wonder we can not score with no supply to any of our forwards from midfield or defence .

HunterLionheart

Advisor to the Owner
Oh to have the days of a left back like Matt hill bombing down the wing and putting a decent cross in something our players seem not to be able to do.
Is it any wonder we can not score with no supply to any of our forwards from midfield or defence .
Matt Hill? Did he not get a nosebleed after the half way line?