PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Inappropriate language

DSPP

Does anyone else feel a bit patronised when commentators apologise for "inappropriate language " in a football game? Usually it's a "fucks sake" etc from a grown man, frustrated about a mistake he or teammate made whilst playing a game with other grown men. Apologies are unnecessary

Does anyone else feel a bit patronised when commentators apologise for "inappropriate language " in a football game? Usually it's a "fucks sake" etc from a grown man, frustrated about a mistake he or teammate made whilst playing a game with other grown men. Apologies are unnecessary
I agree but you need to remember these games are played before the watershed so there may be some less mature ears listening.
Tbh, I've never actually heard any bad language anyway.

Its no different to news items where they always announce "there may be flashing images". I guess it's something they just have to say. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I agree but you need to remember these games are played before the watershed so there may be some less mature ears listening.
Tbh, I've never actually heard any bad language anyway.
I understand that but surely parents can explain to their kids. For example I sit with my lad who is 10 in the family stand to avoid bad language. Whenever we go away I tell him he'll hear bad language and he knows not to repeat it.

Its no different to news items where they always announce "there may be flashing images". I guess it's something they just have to say. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I disagree. Flashing lights could be dangerous to someone who has epilepsy etc

Yes and references to 'flashing images', 'violence' (mild or otherwise), 'historical language', etc. It's treating the viewer like an infant but then that is the way society is going.

I understand that but surely parents can explain to their kids. For example I sit with my lad who is 10 in the family stand to avoid bad language. Whenever we go away I tell him he'll hear bad language and he knows not to repeat it.
Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't repeat it :ROFLMAO: I remember having swearing 'competitions' at school when I was about 7, FFS.

Yes and references to 'flashing images', 'violence' (mild or otherwise), 'historical language', etc. It's treating the viewer like an infant but then that is the way society is going.

As DSPP says, the flashing images warning is quite important.

'Historical language'? That's a good one - a new one on me - I must not listen carefully enough. Does it mean programmes like Till Death Do Us Part, or Love Thy Neighbour?

Swearing doesn’t bother me one tiny jot. There are way worse things going on in the world than to worry about swear words for goodness sake.

As DSPP says, the flashing images warning is quite important.

'Historical language'? That's a good one - a new one on me - I must not listen carefully enough. Does it mean programmes like Till Death Do Us Part, or Love Thy Neighbour?

Yes. You often get it before westerns as well because they refer to red indians as red indians and the like. Similarly films about the NW Frontier get the same treatment.