PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Instant Coffee

jcfartpants;n3401980 said:
And the amount of plastic that finds itself in the sea from the stuff that we put in our recycling is apparently astounding.

Correct. A few years ago we were all encouraged to put all our plastic in the various bins that cluttered up everyone’s gardens. In fairness we all did our bit and filled them to be emptied every other week.

The issue here is what is done with it once it's been collected. Some of the waste is sent abroad, China etc. and there's no way of regulating what happens to it then. This is when it ends up in the sea / rivers etc. Of course the recycling companies here sell it abroad as they will take contaminated plastic waste so they can sell more = get more cash.

Tino;n3402007 said:
Correct. A few years ago we were all encouraged to put all our plastic in the various bins that cluttered up everyone’s gardens. In fairness we all did our bit and filled them to be emptied every other week.

The issue here is what is done with it once it's been collected. Some of the waste is sent abroad, China etc. and there's no way of regulating what happens to it then. This is when it ends up in the sea / rivers etc. Of course the recycling companies here sell it abroad as they will take contaminated plastic waste so they can sell more = get more cash.

The retail industry basically doesn't give two hoots: 1. Much of the plastic is not recyclable; 2. They overpack, e.g. my bananas get delivered double-bagged which is why we now go to the market to get fruit and veg; 3. internet trading means huge amounts of packaging.

PNEESSEX;n3401946 said:
All interesting stuff. The environmental impact of intensive farming in Almeria was covered by Simon Reeve in his series the other week. The amount of plastic from the greenhouses that finds itself in the sea is astounding. Add to that the exploitation of migrant workers and the picture of how your supermarket tomatoes are so available all,year and so cheap emerges

One of the reasons why I try to buy local where possible - and embrace the seasonality of food. Not perfect by a long way, but a step in the right direction, at least.

Sepp Blatter;n3402047 said:
One of the reasons why I try to buy local where possible - and embrace the seasonality of food. Not perfect by a long way, but a step in the right direction, at least.

We shall be doing that here post brexit....turnips yum :)

What do you have for breakfast?

what coffee do you drink?

jesus, it’s like a friggin online buffet in here!

Sid Snot;n3401924 said:
Sorry my dear, I'm no longer a tea drinker; that's definitely a question for Senor Essex. My opinion however is that the residue would interfere with the natural flavour. Do you use two tea bags to get that extremely strong cuppa/mugga :)?

just one and if I want it really strong I put the brew in the microwave.

PNEESSEX;n3402056 said:
We shall be doing that here post brexit....turnips yum :)

A definite upside - the fewer miles food travels, the better :D

Turnips are difficult to get hold of here - and swedes are exceptionally rare. A shame, because I love both. No rhubarb here, either :(

jcfartpants;n3402046 said:
The retail industry basically doesn't give two hoots: 1. Much of the plastic is not recyclable; 2. They overpack, e.g. my bananas get delivered double-bagged which is why we now go to the market to get fruit and veg; 3. internet trading means huge amounts of packaging.

I tell you what gets my goat. When you again try and do your bit and on the back it says “check locally” if it can be recycled. Well, what use is that? It’s another way of saying “can’t be recycled” really.

Sepp Blatter;n3402085 said:
A definite upside - the fewer miles food travels, the better :D

Turnips are difficult to get hold of here - and swedes are exceptionally rare. A shame, because I love both. No rhubarb here, either :(

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"327","width":"464","src":"https:\/\/warosu.org\/data\/ck\/img\/0051\/51\/1391480229502.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Tino;n3402093 said:
I tell you what gets my goat. When you again try and do your bit and on the back it says “check locally” if it can be recycled. Well, what use is that? It’s another way of saying “can’t be recycled” really.

Yep, fuckers.

Tino;n3402093 said:

And another thing... tins of beans 29p each or wrapped in a multipack in sturdy polythene (not recyclable round here) - Four tins for a quid.

As a simple first step, it should be a legal obligation for supermarkets to offer the alternative to buy the individual tins at 4 for the same price as the multipack. Why should an environmentally conscious person have to pay 4x29p for the exact same beans without the polythene?

Regardless;n3402158 said:
And another thing... tins of beans 29p each or wrapped in a multipack in sturdy polythene (not recyclable round here) - Four tins for a quid.

As a simple first step, it should be a legal obligation for supermarkets to offer the alternative to buy the individual tins at 4 for the same price as the multipack. Why should an environmentally conscious person have to pay 4x29p for the exact same beans without the polythene?

It should be a legal obligation for supermarkets not to sell anything in packaging that cannot be recycled.

jcfartpants;n3402160 said:
It should be a legal obligation for supermarkets not to sell anything in packaging that cannot be recycled.

A good second step! The definition of 'cannot' would need to be considered in detail but we'd just have to find a way.

On this theme, one thing I hate is when they mix materials... like bread or sandwich wrappers that are two-thirds paper/card... with an unrecyclable plastic front. And tissue boxes that have the polythene layer on top that you have to rip out and chuck away (my guess is that most don't bother).

Regardless;n3402163 said:
A good second step! The definition of 'cannot' would need to be considered in detail but we'd just have to find a way.

On this theme, one thing I hate is when they mix materials... like bread or sandwich wrappers that are two-thirds paper/card... with an unrecyclable plastic front. And tissue boxes that have the polythene layer on top that you have to rip out and chuck away (my guess is that most don't bother).

The thing that fucks me off is that these companies all claim to be socially responsible. But they're not.

jcfartpants;n3402176 said:
The thing that fucks me off is that these companies all claim to be socially responsible. But they're not.

What are your thoughts on palm oil? Mrs E is trying to ensure we use as few products as possible that contain palm oil, unless it's been responsibly produced

Regardless;n3402158 said:

Absolutely correct. They all go on about removing offers by just making things cheaper and easier for the shopper but that's a load of rubbish as well.

jcfartpants;n3402148 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"327","width":"464","src":"https:\/\/warosu.org\/data\/ck\/img\/0051\/51\/1391480229502.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I have been saving up to buy my dream turnip :)

PNEESSEX;n3402179 said:
What are your thoughts on palm oil? Mrs E is trying to ensure we use as few products as possible that contain palm oil, unless it's been responsibly produced

Totally agree with Mrs E. I try not to get anything with palm oil.

jcfartpants;n3402212 said:
Totally agree with Mrs E. I try not to get anything with palm oil.

My Mrs is the same - she loves orang-utans (some would argue that she lives with one), so we try to avoid the palm-oil products that have devastated so much of Indonesia.

Sepp Blatter;n3402206 said:
I have been saving up to buy my dream turnip :)

Ironic really as I have a thingy shaped just like a turnip.

Sepp Blatter;n3402213 said:
My Mrs is the same - she loves orang-utans (some would argue that she lives with one), so we try to avoid the palm-oil products that have devastated so much of Indonesia.

Well we can't comment Sepp, unless you show us a photo.