PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

iPhone User Tip

Hello All,

One of the things I struggle with when I'm having a bad mental health day can be my phone. I know its simple to just switch the thing off however its important for me to remain somewhat contactable via phone for family or even work circumstances.
If you are an Apple iPhone user like myself then heres a tip.

I find myself overwhelmed with notifications when I'm struggling - just pointless notifications which can sometimes be useful like:
- Rain expected in your area in the next 20 minutes
- A person viewed your profile on LinkedIn
- Gary Neville highlights how England can win the World Cup on Sky Sports News

Blah Blah Blah

You'll need the latest iOS 16 software which is available from the iPhone 8 onwards.
You will see that Apple have added 'focus' on the settings menu. By using this you can create a profile on your phone. Apple describe this as a profile to set on your phone when working for example to stop getting distractions etc or on the weekends you can set the profile that can stop work from interfering with your free time etc.

I have created a profile which I've named 'Quiet'. When activated my phone will change my wallpaper to something I find as an escape from bad mental health days such as forests/woodland scenery when I go for walk. Also you have the ability to mute all notifications from apps that can be annoying and only keep the ones that are actually vital.

If you go onto the settings app and tap focus which is towards the bottom of the screen.
In the top right corner you'll see a '+' where you can create a new focus group, name it, silence notifications from certain applications or contacts, change wallpapers on your phone for this focus profile, set a automation if you want it to come on during certain days/times.

Been using it for a couple of weeks now. It helps a little if I'm feeling overwhelmed so I thought I'd share.
Not for everyone I understand but if it helps then great!

Good advice, I personally have notifications turned off for everything. It was also driving me nuts, the phone pinging every 30 seconds. now, If i want to know the weather i'll check the BBC weather app. News, same, launch a news app etc. What's app was pinging like bloody mad, now i just see a little number on the screen next to the app showing the number of unread messages. Some people swear by notifications. i just found them a pain in the arse.

Worst one was BBC News for me especially during the pandemic.
You just know its never going to be something nice when that notification appears.

Fully understand Malcy. The only notifications I get are SMS texts and phone calls. Anyone important knows that all the other messaging services will be seen by me in my own good time.

Annoying where everyone bloody website seems to have a pop-up imploring you to allow them to send me notifications. Always decline. You just don’t need them.

I really dont get why everything has to tell you the weather nowadays. The computer I am typing on now, apps on my phone, and even the bloody weighing scales in our bathroom tell me the weather in my region right now. I can look out the window , thank you very much,!

Worst one was BBC News for me especially during the pandemic.
You just know its never going to be something nice when that notification appears.
Best thing I did during the pandemic was turn all news notification’s off. The only notifications I get now are tweets from North End (some might argue that is worse than news), Fantasy Football notifications and messages

I have my close family marked as favourites in my contacts so at certain times I will only get notifications if it's from them.

If you get overwhelmed by the phone don't go anywhere near the watches. They make it even worse. I think mine lasted about a week before I ripped the bugger off and sold it. Watches should be for telling the time in my eyes. I actually have friends who have work emails coming through on their watch. Absolute madness.