PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Irish contingent so far..

simon81

Patron
So a few games into the new season and it's started nicely, my only disappointment is the involvement of the lads from the Emerald Isle. I had high hopes at the start of the season.

So far Maguire leads the way in terms of our new signings, a fans favourite already it seems and a huge player for our promotion aspirations.

Boyle sounded a like a great signing before he came but is struggling to make the bench even with the absence of Clark, I think a short term loan out is needed there.

Horgan i like the look of albeit his somewhat erratic end product, this should improve over time and I see him as a big payer for us this season when he gets going.

O'Connor hasn't got off to the best of starts and seems like he is out of AN's plans really, did himself no favours in the Accy game against their right winger Clark. He has a lot to do and a loan looks best as we have cover coming back to the fold.

After that you have Greg who I would say is our most valuable and consistent player although now injured, Browne looks patchy to me, I think we can do better but a player we should keep hold off for sure.

I don't think I need to mention Doyle, he is a great player but not in white.

Ive been very impressed with Browne this season. I think he's realised he could easily lose his place and he's doing something about it.

We've been taking punts (see what I did there?) on these lads and it's evident by the gen we've had from the Emerald Isle, as much as anything else, that only Maguire is gonna make it.

My money would be on Boyle and O'Connor going back and Horgan doing a BBM in Div 1/2

We've been taking punts (see what I did there?) on these lads and it's evident by the gen we've had from the Emerald Isle, as much as anything else, that only Maguire is gonna make it.

My money would be on Boyle and O'Connor going back and Horgan doing a BBM in Div 1/2

Really? Horgan showed last season that he's more than good enough to play in this league.

Boyle's decent. Never did anything wrong but needs to dominate more and make his presence felt.

Not seen O'Connor play.

Don't think any of them look out of their depth apart from O'Connor.

Boyle and Horgan have been solid and have shown a fair bit of potential given they came in half way through the season straight from LOI. Horgan has looked sharp this season.

Really? Horgan showed last season that he's more than good enough to play in this league.

Boyle's decent. Never did anything wrong but needs to dominate more and make his presence felt.

Not seen O'Connor play.

Agreed. Horgan is definitely good enough for this level. Tidy, technically sound little player....if a little erratic with his end product at times.

Let's not forget that Small forest looked awful when we first signed him, and that was in league 1, so it would be unfair to write off O'Connor just yet. He's not helped as it's only natural he'll be compared to Cunningham and the only time he has played at Accy he had Mavadidi in front of him so no protection at all. However he was given the run around by Clark in the first half.

He probably needs more time in training to get up to speed, but at the moment he's looking like he's here to keep Maguire company.

Alarm bells were ringing a bit for me whenever I saw interviews with players they'd rave about Maguire and then finish it with "and Kev is fitting in well...." and he didn't exactly impress in the Burnley friendly.

We'll see I guess but the upper reaches of the Championship demand a touch of class and/or a the type of commitment and endeavour that we get from Hunts week in, week out.

There'll be casualties along the way.

i have to agree with some of the caution from justinr73 & the original poster on the recent irish signings. none of them really get me that excited (not seen o'connor play either), obviously there is potential in mcguire but we have to be fair in all our evaluation he needs to start baggin some goals himself, i hope he will.

Horgan is well up to the Champ standard. Irelands next Duff.

I feel a bit sorry for O'Connor, he got nutmegged within a minute of coming on at Burnley and that can really mess with your confidence. I waiting till hes had a few more games before I judge him.

I wouldn't write any of the Irish lads off yet.

Maguire looks the real deal and Horgan looks decent and hopefully he will grasp his next chance.

Boyle is a good defender who is an organiser and will work well alongside a big lad. The only player at the club at the moment who is remotely big enough for him to play alongside is Paul Huntington. To play Boyle with any of our other centre backs leaves us lacking in height.

By all accounts, O'Connor is a good player, but the Cork fans said he seemed to take a dip in form when he signed for us. Let's hope he can re capture his best form and he may be good cover for left back until he establishes himself.

Impressed with Maguire and Horgan, Boyle looked overweight last season when he played. Browne looking good this season. Not seen O'connor yet, really too early to be judging some of these players it does take time to adjust!!!

i have to agree with some of the caution from justinr73 & the original poster on the recent irish signings. none of them really get me that excited (not seen o'connor play either), obviously there is potential in mcguire but we have to be fair in all our evaluation he needs to start baggin some goals himself, i hope he will.

Not really any pressure on him bagging goals. He has only started two games - in the first he was up front then got shifted out wide, in the second he started out wide. Any game he has come of the bench, he has been playing either (a) behind the striker or (b) on the wing. No pressure on him to score goals if he is playing out of position.

These players have been purchased as an investment for the future. I don't think they were expected to take the Championship by storm. Too early to tell yet the size of the dividend we may reap but Horgan and Maguire are showing early promise. These are signings for the long term.