PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Irish contingent so far..

Not really any pressure on him bagging goals. He has only started two games - in the first he was up front then got shifted out wide, in the second he started out wide. Any game he has come of the bench, he has been playing either (a) behind the striker or (b) on the wing. No pressure on him to score goals if he is playing out of position.

There is pressure, on him and the team.
I just point to critisism of Robinson lately (some over the top but legitimately highlights need to improve) and say we should be fair on all players.

I want him to do well I see the potential of course but let's see him smash some in.

There is pressure, on him and the team.
I just point to critisism of Robinson lately (some over the top but legitimately highlights need to improve) and say we should be fair on all players.

I want him to do well I see the potential of course but let's see him smash some in.

He's playing out of position. You can't seriously expect a player (not playing as a striker) to be scoring loads of goals. We should be fair on all players, but in all the performances I have seen of Maguire he has looked lively and a good player. Yes he may need a goal or two, but I like I said there is no pressure on any player not playing in their natural position.

He's playing out of position. You can't seriously expect a player (not playing as a striker) to be scoring loads of goals. We should be fair on all players, but in all the performances I have seen of Maguire he has looked lively and a good player. Yes he may need a goal or two, but I like I said there is no pressure on any player not playing in their natural position.
If he's good enough, he will FORCE the gaffer to play him in his correct position imo. If we are playing a rookie striker out of position, it doesn't say much for the other players in the squad whose position he has taken, does it?
Haven't seen a lot of these Irish lads really, Maguire does look lively and hardworking but so far only has a few goals for Accrington and a good season in a poor Irish league behind him. Boyle looks just OK, Horgan looks a much better prospect. O Connor, haven't seen him so can't comment. But I don't think any of these players really cost us much, so nothing ventured and all that.

If he's good enough, he will FORCE the gaffer to play him in his correct position imo. If we are playing a rookie striker out of position, it doesn't say much for the other players in the squad whose position he has taken, does it?
Haven't seen a lot of these Irish lads really, Maguire does look lively and hardworking but so far only has a few goals for Accrington and a good season in a poor Irish league behind him. Boyle looks just OK, Horgan looks a much better prospect. O Connor, haven't seen him so can't comment. But I don't think any of these players really cost us much, so nothing ventured and all that.

We've taken five directly from the Irish league. Unless it's a real hotbed of untapped talent or our scouting network is genuinely world class (neither of which i believe) we can probably only expect maybe 2 at the most of these to go and have a decent career at this level or higher.

Browne and Maguire appear the most likely at the moment but I've seen little or nothing of the rest of them.

Browne and Maguire appear the most likely at the moment but I've seen little or nothing of the rest of them.

In fairness Horgan has looked full of running and certainly seems like a useful option if we need to add a bit of bite and energy to the team. Boyle has looked at best ordinary but that is at least a base to build from. O'Connor, frankly, has so far looked off-the-pace and with the emergence of Earl and the ability hopefully of - the newly trim - Spurr to play at left-back then even the absence of Cunningham does not warrant his inclusion in the squad. But again he has time on his side and I am not going to write him off but he obviously needs to up act considerably. I just wonder if O'Connor might have it in him to become a defensive midfielder.

In fairness Horgan has looked full of running and certainly seems like a useful option if we need to add a bit of bite and energy to the team. Boyle has looked at best ordinary but that is at least a base to build from. O'Connor, frankly, has so far looked off-the-pace and with the emergence of Earl and the ability hopefully of - the newly trim - Spurr to play at left-back then even the absence of Cunningham does not warrant his inclusion in the squad. But again he has time on his side and I am not going to write him off but he obviously needs to up act considerably. I just wonder if O'Connor might have it in him to become a defensive midfielder.

What I've seen of horgan (a little in the flesh and a few bits of highlights last season) he looks pretty useful but so far Neil hasn't given him much.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. My point is - you can't expect a player who is scoring for fun to suddenly start doing it in the championship when he's not in the correct position, which is what the previous poster was trying to indicate. As for FORECING the gaffer to play him in the correct position. Maguire hasn't done much wrong which is why a lot of fans want him and Hugil partnered together. In fact, Maguire must be doing a lot right to FORCE the gaffer to play him even though he is not in his preferred position. And no, it means nothing about the other players in the squad. They were playing poorly so were dropped - when they eventually get their chance whether it's an injury or substitution I am sure they will make a claim to their starting place.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. My point is - you can't expect a player who is scoring for fun to suddenly start doing it in the championship when he's not in the correct position, which is what the previous poster was trying to indicate. As for FORECING the gaffer to play him in the correct position. Maguire hasn't done much wrong which is why a lot of fans want him and Hugil partnered together. In fact, Maguire must be doing a lot right to FORCE the gaffer to play him even though he is not in his preferred position. And no, it means nothing about the other players in the squad. They were playing poorly so were dropped - when they eventually get their chance whether it's an injury or substitution I am sure they will make a claim to their starting place.

When has he been played out of position?

I don't think you're right.

He's played well but I want to see him score some goals, he's a striker.

When has he been played out of position?

I don't think you're right.

He's played well but I want to see him score some goals, he's a striker.

Against reading he played out on the right. Against Wednesday he started up front then when Hugil came on he played just behind him. Leeds, derby and acrington he was on the bench. I'm 100% confident i'm right. You expect to see some goals from a striker who has only started one game up front!?

Against reading he played out on the right. Against Wednesday he started up front then when Hugil came on he played just behind him. Leeds, derby and acrington he was on the bench. I'm 100% confident i'm right. You expect to see some goals from a striker who has only started one game up front!?

Make the most of it... It's not often.. :)

You're making out like he's been played in nets!

There's nothing to squabble about here.

O'Connor, frankly, has so far looked off-the-pace and with the emergence of Earl and the ability hopefully of - the newly trim - Spurr to play at left-back then even the absence of Cunningham does not warrant his inclusion in the squad. But again he has time on his side and I am not going to write him off but he obviously needs to up act considerably. I just wonder if O'Connor might have it in him to become a defensive midfielder.
He's played one game.

He's played one game.

In which by all accounts he looked way off-the-pace. As I said I m not writing him off but the fact is that in comparison Earl when presented with a chance to impress did so whereas O'Connor did not. He is obviously finding the transition to the Championship difficult whereas Maguire is thriving.

he was off the pace the first half - he actually did ok 2nd half and attacked well as the game went on.

The first 20 mins however set the tone and he was lost.... unlike Accys RB that night - Tyler Forbes who we let go.

Some players don't even get one game before they're shit with some fans :(

Give them all a chance. It's funny but in the premier league big signings get a season to settle in. Here you get one appearance and 3 subs and you"re judged for good. Mel Holden and Mick Baxter both had a season before they came into their own

Give them all a chance. It's funny but in the premier league big signings get a season to settle in. Here you get one appearance and 3 subs and you"re judged for good. Mel Holden and Mick Baxter both had a season before they came into their own

Not to mention Mark Rankine, who I seem to recall was pretty average until he was told he could leave, when he stepped up his game. Garner, likewise, took a long time to look like a good signing

On the other hand, there are players who look good on their debuts and never fulfil their promise; Adam Barton springs to mind.