Is anyone else not missing the footy?

Are you missing the footy?

• Total voters

pne1881

Manager
Imagine missing a play-off campaign because its played behind closed doors and we win it and go up. We then get absolutely mauled in the prem next season when we can go back and watch. All the lows with none of the highs. It's got to the point where I'd just want the season void tbh

Every chance we do ok in the prem but I can't see it
What a great point & frightening thought all rolled into one.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
I'm missing it to be honest. I'm that desperate for some excitement on a Saturday I've taken to putting small wagers on horse racing at Gulfstream Park....
This is me too Bhaggy and Tampa Bay Downs... they race in front of empty stands, but at least it gives me my betting fix

I put 50p a race on about 4 or 5 races ( last of the big spenders )

MrHodgeheg123

Advisor to the Owner
Imagine missing a play-off campaign because its played behind closed doors and we win it and go up. We then get absolutely mauled in the prem next season when we can go back and watch. All the lows with none of the highs. It's got to the point where I'd just want the season void tbh

Every chance we do ok in the prem but I can't see it
I think we'd do ok in the Premier league. Not saying we'd stay up but I don't think we'd do any worse than most newly promoted sides.
Full house, £millions in the bank and the recruitment of some Premier league class players (which we'd have to do in order to be competitive).
I don't see why we couldn't be a Burnley Mk. 2. Might mean we come back down but with every chance of going back up.

Henry Weston

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm missing it to be honest. I'm that desperate for some excitement on a Saturday I've taken to putting small wagers on horse racing at Gulfstream Park which is covered in William Hills and Sky. Worse than Haydock Park for donkeys. Very rarely does a fancied horse win, and sometimes they run races on a dirt track rather than the turf. I've decided to sack this off and try to keep my golf swing ticking over by firing foam practice balls over the garage onto neighbours driveway!!!
If you want to practice your putting Bhaggers check out a company called FORB Golf. I can recommend their mats (10 or 12 ft). Can be used indoors or in the garden. Quality!👍

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
I still don’t think 25 days is anywhere near long enough to ascertain whether people are missing football or not. The summer break is usually what 12 weeks or something similar anyway?

I’m missing it and not afraid to admit it. Obviously we’ve found new habits and family routines to pass the time, but as soon as the game returns I’ll be actively watching again, as I suspect the majority who did before will.

It’s very different falling out of the habit through choice, and having it ‘temporarily’ taken away from you.
I'm still convinced you work for Trev 😁

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
I can't even see behind closed doors matches going on in the lower leagues. Players would have to come off furlough or wage deferral as they would be classed as being back at work again. How could most clubs still afford to pay players their full whack, with no income coming through the gates?

Joanpne

Forum Patron
Patron
I did miss it last Saturday to be honest. It’s the first time since it stopped and I was ok once 6.30 pm came.

if we do get in the play offs (assuming they complete the season) we should get one of those app things where we can get group chats and try to enjoy it a little more. We could all be divided in random groups with one of each group posting on here.

simo

Manager
I must admit I've become fairly ambivalent about the whole thing. The way things have gone financially over the last 10-20 years and now the breathing space to properly make sense of it makes me realise that I'm not even sure if I want it back in the form that we currently have.
I can elaborate a little now....take me back to some of the days when you still felt connected to the game and those who were part of it - even though we were pretty shite - early 90s for example...I've been missing that for a few years and on thinking about it more today miss it now more than ever.

We now know far too much - the romance has gone, we can forensically analyse the clubs financial position, follow players on social media, chat shite on here with people we've never met.....but do we need any of that? Nope, do we fuck. Lets hope we can get back somehow to a simpler time - 22 men and a ball and a little bit of innocent hope and escapism every now and then. Thats all I want and all most of us need.

Bhagwan H

Forum Patron
Patron
If you want to practice your putting Bhaggers check out a company called FORB Golf. I can recommend their mats (10 or 12 ft). Can be used indoors or in the garden. Quality!👍
Just got something similar for my birthday the week before last. Problem is its so true I can sink 9 out of 10 putts. Should perhaps try it outside. Still think it's more fun trying to hit wedges over garage onto neighbours garden or drive!!!

wahwahwah

Manager
I can elaborate a little now....take me back to some of the days when you still felt connected to the game and those who were part of it - even though we were pretty shite - early 90s for example...I've been missing that for a few years and on thinking about it more today miss it now more than ever.

We now know far too much - the romance has gone, we can forensically analyse the clubs financial position, follow players on social media, chat shite on here with people we've never met.....but do we need any of that? Nope, do we fuck. Lets hope we can get back somehow to a simpler time - 22 men and a ball and a little bit of innocent hope and escapism every now and then. Thats all I want and all most of us need.
So to clarify;
Don't look at finances
Footballers shouldn't use social media (or we shouldn't follow them)
Close the forum
?

OOOO3

Forum Patron
Patron
I’m missing it to be fair and I only get to watch it on ifollow anyway so for me, if there is an option with minimal risk, that we can see out the season then I’d be keen for this opinion.

But to be fair I was even excited that formula one was returning in Austria and I find motor racing boring as hell

MrHodgeheg123

Advisor to the Owner
I’m missing it to be fair and I only get to watch it on ifollow anyway so for me, if there is an option with minimal risk, that we can see out the season then I’d be keen for this opinion.

But to be fair I was even excited that formula one was returning in Austria and I find motor racing boring as hell
I use to love watching F1 racing and went to Silverstone on three occasions. Mansell was as exciting a driver you could hope to see. High risk, brave and very quick. Some of his tussles with Senna were eye watering. Today though, while I don't doubt the current crop of drivers skills, the races just don't do it for me. All rather mundane and pedestrian (albeit at 180mph in sections.😄)
If I do watch a race which isn't very often, it'll only be the highlights and there's often little excitement in them.
In a way, it's a bit like Premier league football. Highly skilled , highly paid participants who are part of a very well oiled machine owned by billionaires. The problem is the winners are going to come from the same handful of teams with the most money apart from the occasional upstart who breaks the monopoly of the big boys, only to quickly disappear back into the pack.