Is anyone else not missing the footy?

Are you missing the footy?

• Total voters

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
Hobson, Melford and chivers are busy setting up my subutteo stadium edition
Flood lighted will be turned on and we will beam live tonight to watch PNE v Arsenal in the FA cup

OOOO3

Forum Patron
Patron
Hobson, Melford and chivers are busy setting up my subutteo stadium edition
Flood lighted will be turned on and we will beam live tonight to watch PNE v Arsenal in the FA cup
Set it all up up then accidentally knock the stand with a stray elbow, resulting in a pitch invasion and decapitated goal keeper

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
Set it all up up then accidentally knock the stand with a stray elbow, resulting in a pitch invasion and decapitated goal keeper
I don’t do setting up
Or playing
I simply tell
Your feedback will be considered though

simo

Manager
I use to love watching F1 racing and went to Silverstone on three occasions. Mansell was as exciting a driver you could hope to see. High risk, brave and very quick. Some of his tussles with Senna were eye watering. Today though, while I don't doubt the current crop of drivers skills, the races just don't do it for me. All rather mundane and pedestrian (albeit at 180mph in sections.😄)
If I do watch a race which isn't very often, it'll only be the highlights and there's often little excitement in them.
In a way, it's a bit like Premier league football. Highly skilled , highly paid participants who are part of a very well oiled machine owned by billionaires. The problem is the winners are going to come from the same handful of teams with the most money apart from the occasional upstart who breaks the monopoly of the big boys, only to quickly disappear back into the pack.
The basic problem with F1 is that they have to contrive rules (DRS, all that bollocks with tyres etc.) to make it "exciting". They even have tracks where its knwon and accepted that its impossible to overtake. No idea whatsoever but the car nerds lap it all up. I used to like it when I was a kid but it leaves me cold now.

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
Been watching the full match Replay of the chesterfield home leg, and the playoff final. The full matches are available to watch on YouTube.

Bloody hell, what an amazing bunch of lads we had in that team. We played some fantastic stuff for a league 1 side.

Garner was an absolute beast. His aggression, passion, and those leaps and accurate headed flick-ons were unreal.

Fair play to chesterfield too, they played some good stuff as well. It's a shame looking at the situation they currently find themselves in.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
I can elaborate a little now....take me back to some of the days when you still felt connected to the game and those who were part of it - even though we were pretty shite - early 90s for example...I've been missing that for a few years and on thinking about it more today miss it now more than ever.

We now know far too much - the romance has gone, we can forensically analyse the clubs financial position, follow players on social media, chat shite on here with people we've never met.....but do we need any of that? Nope, do we fuck. Lets hope we can get back somehow to a simpler time - 22 men and a ball and a little bit of innocent hope and escapism every now and then. Thats all I want and all most of us need.
I know what you mean about the 80’s and 90,s ......

I didn’t care who we signed or what the line up was or how the clubs finances were doing - all I cared about was match day. Come Saturday I would go and cheer whichever 11 lads were wearing the shirt on that particular day..... and if they lost I was gutted for days but then come the next match , we went again !!

Wonderful times...

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
Full match Replay of the 1996 Hartlepool away game in our div 3 title winning season is currently available on the PNE App.

Muzza

Advisor to the Owner
I know what you mean about the 80’s and 90,s ......

I didn’t care who we signed or what the line up was or how the clubs finances were doing - all I cared about was match day. Come Saturday I would go and cheer whichever 11 lads were wearing the shirt on that particular day..... and if they lost I was gutted for days but then come the next match , we went again !!

Wonderful times...
That's very uplifting and optimistic of you Ando!

Tuesday Nights

Forum Patron
Patron
I can elaborate a little now....take me back to some of the days when you still felt connected to the game and those who were part of it - even though we were pretty shite - early 90s for example...I've been missing that for a few years and on thinking about it more today miss it now more than ever.

We now know far too much - the romance has gone, we can forensically analyse the clubs financial position, follow players on social media, chat shite on here with people we've never met.....but do we need any of that? Nope, do we fuck. Lets hope we can get back somehow to a simpler time - 22 men and a ball and a little bit of innocent hope and escapism every now and then. Thats all I want and all most of us need.
Well said!

Alongside cost, your post sums up the reason why the crowds (outside the greedy league) continue to be disappointing even when the team are doing well. Once the magic has gone for you, it has gone and - like believing in Father Christmas - it will not return.
All that remains is the undeniably boring spectacle of over coached teams ‘keeping their shape without the ball’ rather than getting after it, zonal marking, cheating, time wasting, self important refs etc etc ..and it is just not entertaining.
As one or two on here have said many times, the purest matchday experience - which meets most of the points you raise - is to be found much lower down the ‘pyramid’

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
Aren't they supposed to be in training next week? Saturday 16th?

I can see the season being cancelled, 3 PO games withstanding.

SF #1 Neutral One Off game.
SF #2 Neutral One Off game.

Final (Villa Park as middle of the country neutral venue.).

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron
Aren't they supposed to be in training next week? Saturday 16th?

I can see the season being cancelled, 3 PO games withstanding.

SF #1 Neutral One Off game.
SF #2 Neutral One Off game.

Final (Villa Park as middle of the country neutral venue.).
Final will probably be at the Nightingale Stadium. Specially built with no room for any spectators.😉

Hypnotoad

Manager
As time has dragged inexoriably on - I have finally arrived at the realisation what a complete and utter fuck up this all is.

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
When will we see football fans back inside Stadia?

If there is no cure, they cannot lock us out forever, can they?

OOOO3

Forum Patron
Patron
I am missing playing more than watching. Selfishly I just want to get north end back playing as I can only watch on ifollow anyway.

Should have been playoff weekend

MrHodgeheg123

Advisor to the Owner
When will we see football fans back inside Stadia?

If there is no cure, they cannot lock us out forever, can they?
We'll probably have to follow the process Blackpool introduced even before lockdown ie. only having a few dozen supporters in the ground at a time.
Social distancing has never been an issue for them and are leading the way in its introduction.