Is it time for Hemmings to finally go?

oliharg

Manager
We’ve come to expect disappointment recently. Remember when we signed Harrop and Pearson from United. Pearson won the prestigious young player of the year at United. And now all we are doing is signing players from Exeter standard.

Joe Savage the recruitment manager who Neil brought in apparently has a wide knowledge of players; even abroad. Never seen us linked to a player abroad.

And it all comes down to the owner, no ambition nothing. I understand he makes a loss every year, but he tops that up with player sales. Our most expensive signing is 1.5 million. For a team that is 7th in the Championship, and who was top of the league after 15 games is abysmal. We have no U23 side, so we lose out on young players who go to other clubs. There is never any more news on the training ground.

Hemmings is holding this club back as he is fine with mediocrity and making sure this club just stays afloat. What’s the point? I’d much rather take a chance. And if it doesn’t work then so be it. But at least we tried.

OP
O

oliharg

Manager
The recruitment team is an absolute joke recently, and that is down to both Hemmings and Neil. Neil’s first choice striker recently was Kieffer Moore over Stockley, and they’re both as bad as each other. I’d love to see a complete rebuild, but it won’t happen.

nomorebigideas

First Team
We’ve come to expect disappointment recently. Remember when we signed Harrop and Pearson from United. Pearson won the prestigious young player of the year at United. And now all we are doing is signing players from Exeter standard.

Joe Savage the recruitment manager who Neil brought in apparently has a wide knowledge of players; even abroad. Never seen us linked to a player abroad.

And it all comes down to the owner, no ambition nothing. I understand he makes a loss every year, but he tops that up with player sales. Our most expensive signing is 1.5 million. For a team that is 7th in the Championship, and who was top of the league after 15 games is abysmal. We have no U23 side, so we lose out on young players who go to other clubs. There is never any more news on the training ground.

Hemmings is holding this club back as he is fine with mediocrity and making sure this club just stays afloat. What’s the point? I’d much rather take a chance. And if it doesn’t work then so be it. But at least we tried.

Our most expensive signings are 1.5 and approx. 1.2 million and can't get a game...

nomorebigideas

First Team
Shows how terrible the recruitment team has been, it’s an absolute shambles.

I'd argue that it shows one of two things:

(A) Players are being purchased that are either not good enough to compete with our current first team or being bought in as scalable assets to sell when they reach maturity

(B) Players aren't getting game time because AN simply chooses the players that can play to his system.

If (A) that's probably not AN's fault. (B) however is, and perhaps he needs to accept the limitations of our spending power and be flexible in his approach to get the best out of the players we have (for example, Stockley needs service; Sinclair isn't the greatest at tracking back; Harrop is a flair player best left upfield).

Difficult to judge when all we see is 90 minutes every week.

MBcha

Forum Patron
Patron
I was literally just about start this exact thread.

Time for a change of direction, however I do see the club in a bit of a catch 22 situation with regards to finding a buyer, we aren't fashionable, were in a saturated football market in the North West and commercially I suspect we aren't viable to many buyers as our gates are low. The irony there is that if the current ownership did more to encourage people on to the games with offers, targeting a wider audience etc and especially by investment on the pitch our gates would be much higher and therefore we'd be a better prospect to whichever moneybags sees our potential and tries to take us to the next level.

I do believe it's time for Hemmings and co to go, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

OP
O

oliharg

Manager
Who is going to buy a football club right now?
Especially one that pisses money.

Hemmings is stuck in a time warp and the club is operated in a shoddy way, with a lack of investment when it matters but right now, I doubt we'll find anyone better.
I’m not saying Hemmings should sell. If he’s not going to find and back a manager then what’s the point of him owning it? He promised a training ground. He’s sold the fans and players a dream and not delivered. Remember the premier season ticket? I then thought he’d changed and wanted to push us towards it. But now we’ve realised he isn’t.

taxipete1

Manager
I’m not saying Hemmings should sell. If he’s not going to find and back a manager then what’s the point of him owning it? He promised a training ground. He’s sold the fans and players a dream and not delivered. Remember the premier season ticket? I then thought he’d changed and wanted to push us towards it. But now we’ve realised he isn’t.
I Dont think you realise how much it costs, have a look at Stokes wage bill.

OP
O

oliharg

Manager
I Dont think you realise how much it costs, have a look at Stokes wage bill.
Compare our player sales to how much we’ve bought. We’re a selling club, we will never move forward if we stay like this. We don’t even have an U23 team, and that’s why we’re having to chuck money for young unproven talent. Because we don’t have a decent academy system at all.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
I hope Hemmings packs his bags and we can get back to away days at Exeter and Shrewsbury, those where the days.

Just for balance, we were a good Championship side before Hemmings took full control of the club. It was only once he took over that the club became a shambles under his mate Maurice Lindsay and we got relegated, and the away days at Exeter and Shrewsbury started.

We have to look at this issue of ownership in a balanced way. His ownership offers the club financial stability and in the current climate nobody else is going to be looking to buy football clubs. But his lack of ambition and interference in footballing matters at times holds us back from becoming successful. The treatment of fans regarding the training ground is unacceptable as well.

Personally I don't think calling for 'Hemmings Out' is the answer to all our problems. But certain things have to change like our approach to the transfer market. It's a false economy collecting loads of lads from the lower leagues who aren't good enough.

sf

Advisor to the Owner

The guy annoys the fuck out of me with his short sighted-ness but he's not just going to give up ownership and lose all chance of his ROI.
It also remains to be seen how interested and competent his son is.

OP
O

oliharg

Manager
The guy annoys the fuck out of me with his short sighted-ness but he's not just going to give up ownership and lose all chance of his ROI.
It also remains to be seen how interested and competent his son is.
Since the announcement of Craig Hemmings, I have not heard him speak out about anything at all. Only thing I saw them worry about was when Stoke came after Neil, that’s it.

Baldygit

Forum Patron
Patron
No chance TH going anywhere until he gets at least most of his investment back and who's going to be paying that sort of money for a team like PNE (with all the other Championship and Premier teams locally)?

JK

The Big Boss
Staff member
Patron
No chance TH going anywhere until he gets at least most of his investment back and who's going to be paying that sort of money for a team like PNE (with all the other Championship and Premier teams locally)?

This is what is the most frustrating aspect of his current strategy.

The only way Mr. Hemmings will get any of his investment back is for Preston North End to get promotion to the Premier League. However, at present whenever we get ourselves into a decent position squad wise and league wise he fails to support the manager to bring in that extra piece of the jigsaw. It was clear to everyone in the summer and especially January that we needed one if not two strikers. No-one suggested we go out and spend millions of millions but at least some re-investment of the Hugill and Robinson money. I said it then and I will say it again not doing so was negligent especially given the position we found ourselves in and to quote the manager "the best position this club has been in for over a decade".

I am yet and never will be totally convinced against the notion that Mr. Hemmings is content with our league standing as a solid championship club.. this was our down fall last time.

Not all is lost we still have a very good chance of making the play offs points wise, however our form has died on its arse so it looks tough, unless the manager has a cunning plan with so many of our better players only having one year left we may have serious issues for next season.

The worry for me is we could sell Ben Davies, Ben Pearson, DJ, Alan Browne etc for a combined £25 million and then see little or no reinvestment in the first team.

I do not doubt Mr. Hemmings cares about PNE and his financial backing indicates that although horses are his first love and as much as I wish this was different and he would just think "sod it" and give it a go, it will never happen.

I said in January if we failed to get into the play offs from such a strong position the vast majority of the blame would lie at the owners door and I still think the same.

I just hope we can somehow turn things around, we can get in the play offs, keep our better players and finally not have to rely on Mr. Hemmings investment and new ideas can be brought into the club.