Is it time for Hemmings to finally go?

Berlinender

Manager
Worth remembering one of the key cogs of that side was their captain.

Someone with a wealth of experience in the championship whose posistion was altered to make the most of his abilities in the later years of his career.

They bought him for about 100 grand.

He then played pretty much every game the following season in the Premier League.

I wonder where you could have purchased such a key player?

All this despite the selling clubs chairman at the time saying his legs had gone and a manager who was paranoid about having strong characters in his dressing room.

This about arguably that clubs only modern era legend and they ended up bringing him back.

Any ideas?

Is he signing on Friday, JK? :D

dawsonsjs

Reserve
When local government was re-organised in 1973 it did not create new counties, contrary to what is now popular and unifomed opinion, What it did was to create new local government areas. As ministers said at the time the historic County Palatines would continue to exist,, that is an area historically defined in which royal privileges and exclusive rights of jurisdiction were held by its earl or lord., in this case House of Lancaster. The dreadful thing that was done in Lancashire's case is that , unlike Yorkshire, the areas that 'disappeared' lost the Lancashire name, bit joined up with Cumberland, another bit with Cheshire and huge chunks of Lancashire were given a different name, Greater Manchester and Merseyside.

However they are still part of the County Palatine of Lancashire, if not the local government area. The Post Office has always correctly recognised this.....hence the postal codes have never been changed and the correct postal address is Bolton, Lancahire, Manchester, Lancashire, Southport , Lancashire, Liverpool, Lancashire etc.

A postal code is precisely that, it doesn't indicate anything other than a distribution area. South Ribble, for example, has never been part of Preston...although from the point of view of planning and attracting investment it would have made infinite sense to have joined up years ago,

A Home office Minister has, not long ago, supported the replacement of traditional county signage...and Lancashire county signs have gone up in some places along the Mersey , which is the Lancashire county boundary.

You can support the work of the Friends of Real Lancashire association for just £10 a year www.forl.co.uk

Walton

Forum Patron
Patron
What you should really know is that Preston is historically linked with our friends on the Fylde coast, Walton le Dale is linked with our friends to the east.

1596446239203.gif

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
What you should really know is that Preston is historically linked with our friends on the Fylde coast, Walton le Dale is linked with our friends to the east.

View attachment 1300
I nearly bought a map a few years back that detailed all the lancashire hundreds but it was £500 and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Let me see if I can find an image

Here you go was a hand drawn version of this:

9052399.jpeg

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Fylde are hoovering up junior players in huge numbers, keeping them until they’re 15/16 and then dropping all but the best. They’re way ahead of us at that level.
I also remember Blackburn put out an entire 'home grown' back four in one of their last league matches this season.

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
Henry Winter has just tweeted that according to Deloitte if Brentford get promoted and come straight back down their income will rise by £160 million over three years.
If they survive the first season it could rise to £265 million over five years.
Wakey wakey Trev.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
I nearly bought a map a few years back that detailed all the lancashire hundreds but it was £500 and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Let me see if I can find an image

Here you go was a hand drawn version of this:

View attachment 1301
What a gorgeous map. I used to collect antique maps.....I stopped when I ran out of space to hang them!

I used to get lots from this guy who used to have a gallery in central London. He now just deals online. He used to stock some incredible maps (many of which were out of my price range)

Last edited:

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
What a gorgeous map. I used to collect antique maps.....I stopped when I ran out of space to hang them!

I used to get lots from this guy who used to have a gallery in central London. He now just deals online. He used to stock some incredible maps (many of which were out of my price range)
That one I saw in a little shop on Cecil Court. They had some amazing maps

europne

Advisor to the Owner
Can this thread now go into the local geography interest or items for sale section now......🙄😂

And back to the OP , who would take a club on with zero incomings and mucho outgoings during a pandemic?

Answer. Nobody.

NORTHENDRTOPS

French scout
Can this thread now go into the local geography interest or items for sale section now......🙄😂

And back to the OP , who would take a club on with zero incomings and mucho outgoings during a pandemic?

Answer. Nobody.
It's at these times, recession, unemployment looming, no money about,, that's when the boys with the money pick up the scraps, there will still be big money boys buying.

Muzza

Advisor to the Owner
That one I saw in a little shop on Cecil Court. They had some amazing maps
I used to have a map of where I lived in Fulwood from the 60's. The couple I bought my house from bought the place 'off plan' in 1969 and mixed in with the deeds was a map of the area showing what it was like before all the houses were built. Love stuff like that. Had to pass it on when I sold the place a couple years ago though.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
A good post.

The only bit I disagree with is the highlighted part.

Nobody is complaining at TJH putting in around £6m PA.

What people are asking for however is that of the incoming monies, instead of maybe 10% (see Hugill £8m to PNE - Stockley £750k paid out) being spent on a replacement, maybe he could up the unaccounted for extra allowance to around 40% which would have been £3.2m off the Hugill fee.

If players let their contracts run down by refusing to move - quite possible and within their rights - TJH wouldn't see any of the money, let alone his 60% as highlighted above.

Basically, can he be a tad more flexible with his releasing of self generated incoming Transfer Fees? That's all the majority of fans are asking for.

All you're saying is you want him to put more in. The incoming money just gets absorbed in the black hole so £8m for Robinson or whatever it was just means he can save a few hundred thousand pounds a month for a couple of years in subsidising wages (which continue to rise).

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
All you're saying is you want him to put more in. The incoming money just gets absorbed in the black hole so £8m for Robinson or whatever it was just means he can save a few hundred thousand pounds a month for a couple of years in subsidising wages (which continue to rise).
If those players run their contracts down, then he gets nowt.

Which I would rather they do as we will at least have them for one more season.

The other option is sell and replace them with the usual sub standard rubbish like Burke, Boyle, Pringle, Doyle, O'Connor, etc.

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
The point is, the Robinson £8m is a windfall.

The owner shouldn't be using that windfall to "save a few hundred thousand pounds a month for a couple of years" against running costs already budgeted for, and which the owner is already committed to cover, windfall or no windfall.

The owner isn't being asked to put more in - he's being asked to put in what he already budgeted to put in.

Meanwhile, he should be using the bulk of the profit from the windfall to ensure the squad gets a replacement player of equivalent quality and ability to the outgoing player, and to make any other general improvements that the remaining funds allow.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
The point is, the Robinson £8m is a windfall.

The owner shouldn't be using that windfall to "save a few hundred thousand pounds a month for a couple of years" against running costs already budgeted for, and which the owner is already committed to cover, windfall or no windfall.

The owner isn't being asked to put more in - he's being asked to put in what he already budgeted to put in.

Meanwhile, he should be using the bulk of the profit from the windfall to ensure the squad gets a replacement player of equivalent quality and ability to the outgoing player, and to make any other general improvements that the remaining funds allow.

Robinson a potential windfall that will almost certainly have been factored in. The reality is that budgets are flexible and ever changing.

Its hard to see that there is any sort of consistent effective budget planning going on at north end TBH other than keeping Hemmings input down to a reasonable level. If we get a windfall it allows a few contracts to be renewed and his personal input to be reduced for a few months.

My issue is not the amount the backing but how inconsistently it is used. For example, perhaps Bayliss will prove a real bargain in the end but there's no point in buying for the future when you havent sorted out the present. It all points to a lack of clarity or purpose and is why were running to stand still all the time.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Robinson a potential windfall that will almost certainly have been factored in. The reality is that budgets are flexible and ever changing.

Its hard to see that there is any sort of consistent effective budget planning going on at north end TBH other than keeping Hemmings input down to a reasonable level. If we get a windfall it allows a few contracts to be renewed and his personal input to be reduced for a few months.

This is clearly mentioned in the annual report though as being the 'plan'. Player sales = less input required from Hemmings.

That doesn't provide an answer as to why reinvestment is so low though and indeed why we spent £1M+ on a midfielder who played 20 minutes in the league when we so badly needed a striker.