PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Is it time for Hemmings to finally go?

Just for balance, we were a good Championship side before Hemmings took full control of the club. It was only once he took over that the club became a shambles under his mate Maurice Lindsay and we got relegated, and the away days at Exeter and Shrewsbury started.

We have to look at this issue of ownership in a balanced way. His ownership offers the club financial stability and in the current climate nobody else is going to be looking to buy football clubs. But his lack of ambition and interference in footballing matters at times holds us back from becoming successful. The treatment of fans regarding the training ground is unacceptable as well.

Personally I don't think calling for 'Hemmings Out' is the answer to all our problems. But certain things have to change like our approach to the transfer market. It's a false economy collecting loads of lads from the lower leagues who aren't good enough.
Hemmings as good as owned the club along time before the official takeover. Why do you think he pulled us out when Derek fucked up.
Let's face reality with the state of this town and its people, most of which can't be doing with the club we are better suited to league one. The money needed in the championship has gone up exponentially since the Baxi days. Sitting in or around the top six all season for are club is near on a miracle.

Something needs to be done with the club, otherwise we will find ourselves in league one before anything. Hemmings and the recruitment team are taking the club backwards not forwards.

We’ve come to expect disappointment recently. Remember when we signed Harrop and Pearson from United. Pearson won the prestigious young player of the year at United. And now all we are doing is signing players from Exeter standard.

Joe Savage the recruitment manager who Neil brought in apparently has a wide knowledge of players; even abroad. Never seen us linked to a player abroad.

And it all comes down to the owner, no ambition nothing. I understand he makes a loss every year, but he tops that up with player sales. Our most expensive signing is 1.5 million. For a team that is 7th in the Championship, and who was top of the league after 15 games is abysmal. We have no U23 side, so we lose out on young players who go to other clubs. There is never any more news on the training ground.

Hemmings is holding this club back as he is fine with mediocrity and making sure this club just stays afloat. What’s the point? I’d much rather take a chance. And if it doesn’t work then so be it. But at least we tried.
Myself and my company in the US spent many hours and visits to the UK, mainly with two PL clubs, as we compiled a fantastic offer to buy the club
and to obtain promotion and to establish the club in the top league.

As our offer was not responded to, I expect your owners are happy to just jog along and stay in 9th to 11th position each year and stay afloat.

Ex player.

Myself and my company in the US spent many hours and visits to the UK, mainly with two PL clubs, as we compiled a fantastic offer to buy the club
and to obtain promotion and to establish the club in the top league.

As our offer was not responded to, I expect your owners are happy to just jog along and stay in 9th to 11th position each year and stay afloat.

Ex player.
I’d give it another go whenever you can.

A little bit on my background first just so you can see where I'm coming from: I'm reading a Masters in Organisation and Management Sciences. (not the exact name) It might not be entirely related to football at first glance, but a number of the frameworks can be applied to large-scale businesses and organisations that trade in the millions such as PNE and the other Hemmings companies.

Hemmings as an owner often ignores issues associated with buying power, rivalry, and substitutes. This means that we often lose out on key targets or fail to pay enough to be able to make investments that actually improve the team. With one exception, refusing to make the required investments and diverging towards unsuitable backup targets has been determinental to the team. This has resulted in a number of Grayson's players still making the first team consistently whereas Neil's signings have struggled to get in, for the most part. Even when we do identify and bid for a target, or a realistic target becomes available, we fail to compete in the market and fail to sign them. I don't know if we ever bidded for Wells but regardless of our approach to this rumour, not signing in necessary areas is a failure.

One issue we haven't discussed much on here is futureproofing and digital strategy. Other clubs have used strategy heavily in order to boost gates and create profit, however, we lag behind in this area. Introducing high quality analysis and a full digital strategy team would help us massively in profit generation. Hemmings has not implemented this, which means that PNE lag behind other clubs which can also have severe long term implications.

These make up just two large issues which have severe future impacts for us. The failure to strategise for the future, make strategic investments and implement a digital strategy (which I must add, includes digital marketing) will have severe implications post COVID-19, as the pandemic has expedited the requirement for swift digital implementations. Maybe we'll do this when we're back to normal, but I'm pessimistic. This does not include the lies to the fans regarding strategic investments in the training facilities at Ingol, which would create value over time, but instead Hemmings has created further distrust and disharmony among fans creating negativity among the players, as well as directly causing negativity to the players as they don't have the facilities previously confirmed by the club. This has a negative effect among the entire club meaning performance levels decrease.

I could go on but I feel like I've made my points quite clear. Hemmings is running PNE badly from a long-term standpoint and questions need to be made about his long-term commitment to PNE. I'm firmly in the Hemmings Out camp as you know and am genuinely fearful for a future where he remains in charge. This summer will be very telling as to the future of this club, and anything I discover or deduce from online literature, statements, or credible sources will be relayed back to the forum when appropriate.

I was literally just about start this exact thread.

Time for a change of direction, however I do see the club in a bit of a catch 22 situation with regards to finding a buyer, we aren't fashionable, were in a saturated football market in the North West and commercially I suspect we aren't viable to many buyers as our gates are low. The irony there is that if the current ownership did more to encourage people on to the games with offers, targeting a wider audience etc and especially by investment on the pitch our gates would be much higher and therefore we'd be a better prospect to whichever moneybags sees our potential and tries to take us to the next level.

I do believe it's time for Hemmings and co to go, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

that's where another Catch 2+2 lies, as there's always going to be Season Ticket Holders who'll have a whinge as to why some sections of support, be it new or otherwise, have got x deal, and they have ended up paying a little more, albeit itself being a deal.

I_m not saying I disagree with your point, but totally agree with the need for a change of mentality and direction.

Regards the recruiting, dont get me started :D but I'd rather have Joe Bloggs than Joe Savage.

One issue we haven't discussed much on here is futureproofing and digital strategy. Other clubs have used strategy heavily in order to boost gates and create profit, however, we lag behind in this area. Introducing high quality analysis and a full digital strategy team would help us massively in profit generation. Hemmings has not implemented this, which means that PNE lag behind other clubs which can also have severe long term implications.

I've had this thought myself.

On the marketing side, with the legacy of the club as a founding member of the Football League, the home of World Football, there's actually a massive opportunity in terms of digitally positioning the club to global audiences who are just fans of football. Not a small number, and a massive potential revenue stream for digital rights and merch. It might sound fanciful, but it's a question of perspective and willing. If we keep positioning ourselves as an unfashionable club, we will keep being one. Self fulfilling prophecy and small thinking.

And even back home, you never really see digital ads or effective CRM and we probably don't do much analysis on the audience. We're playing Championship football on the pitch but there's work to be done and opportunities off it that we're leaving on the table (probably because we don't want to invest in more staff in those areas). Fact is, they're massive areas. It's a lot of work so you need more staff focused on digital to take advantage.

A little bit on my background first just so you can see where I'm coming from: I'm reading a Masters in Organisation and Management Sciences. (not the exact name) It might not be entirely related to football at first glance, but a number of the frameworks can be applied to large-scale businesses and organisations that trade in the millions such as PNE and the other Hemmings companies.

Hemmings as an owner often ignores issues associated with buying power, rivalry, and substitutes. This means that we often lose out on key targets or fail to pay enough to be able to make investments that actually improve the team. With one exception, refusing to make the required investments and diverging towards unsuitable backup targets has been determinental to the team. This has resulted in a number of Grayson's players still making the first team consistently whereas Neil's signings have struggled to get in, for the most part. Even when we do identify and bid for a target, or a realistic target becomes available, we fail to compete in the market and fail to sign them. I don't know if we ever bidded for Wells but regardless of our approach to this rumour, not signing in necessary areas is a failure.

These make up just two large issues which have severe future impacts for us. The failure to strategise for the future, make strategic investments and implement a digital strategy (which I must add, includes digital marketing) will have severe implications post COVID-19, as the pandemic has expedited the requirement for swift digital implementations. Maybe we'll do this when we're back to normal, but I'm pessimistic. This does not include the lies to the fans regarding strategic investments in the training facilities at Ingol, which would create value over time, but instead Hemmings has created further distrust and disharmony among fans creating negativity among the players, as well as directly causing negativity to the players as they don't have the facilities previously confirmed by the club. This has a negative effect among the entire club meaning performance levels decrease.

I could go on but I feel like I've made my points quite clear. Hemmings is running PNE badly from a long-term standpoint and questions need to be made about his long-term commitment to PNE. I'm firmly in the Hemmings Out camp as you know and am genuinely fearful for a future where he remains in charge. This summer will be very telling as to the future of this club, and anything I discover or deduce from online literature, statements, or credible sources will be relayed back to the forum when appropriate.
Completely spot on.

We was sold a dream with the club moving forward with the Premier Season Ticket, the new training ground and nothing has changed, the amount of young players coming through for championship clubs are crazy, and then there is us without an U23 side because Hemmings doesn’t want to fund it.

It’d cost around 50,000 per year to have a scout within France, Germany or Spain. The same cost that was paid for Connor Simpson, who isn’t even National League quality at the moment.

The amount of players that Neil has identified for who we want to sign, Ivan Toney, Kasey Palmer, Bersant Celina, Max Lowe. Instead we ended up with Jayden Stockley, Graham Burke, Josh Ginnelly and Joe Rafferty.

That is the difference.

Just for balance, we were a good Championship side before Hemmings took full control of the club. It was only once he took over that the club became a shambles under his mate Maurice Lindsay and we got relegated, and the away days at Exeter and Shrewsbury started.

We have to look at this issue of ownership in a balanced way. His ownership offers the club financial stability and in the current climate nobody else is going to be looking to buy football clubs. But his lack of ambition and interference in footballing matters at times holds us back from becoming successful. The treatment of fans regarding the training ground is unacceptable as well.

Personally I don't think calling for 'Hemmings Out' is the answer to all our problems. But certain things have to change like our approach to the transfer market. It's a false economy collecting loads of lads from the lower leagues who aren't good enough.

Good post.

The problem is things won't change whilst he is in charge so for me it's a simple choice - either "Hemmings Out" or he stays but if that's what you want you accept the way he goes about things.

The amount of players that Neil has identified for who we want to sign, Ivan Toney, Kasey Palmer, Bersant Celina, Max Lowe. Instead we ended up with Jayden Stockley, Graham Burke, Josh Ginnelly and Joe Rafferty.

To be fair it's probably a bit too soon to call any judgement on Ginnelly and by all accounts Rafferty has done very well. However, yes, had we just brought in the proper targets in the first place we wouldn't have these issues.

Neil can also shoulder a bit of blame for not even giving Gino a chance. This, of course, should not detract from the key arguments revolving around Hemmings' failures.

To be fair it's probably a bit too soon to call any judgement on Ginnelly and by all accounts Rafferty has done very well. However, yes, had we just brought in the proper targets in the first place we wouldn't have these issues.

Neil can also shoulder a bit of blame for not even giving Gino a chance. This, of course, should not detract from the key arguments revolving around Hemmings' failures.
Right now, I’d much rather we gave Ethan Walker a chance. Because how do you not know if he will be the next great thing if Neil doesn’t give him a chance.

Completely spot on.

We was sold a dream with the club moving forward with the Premier Season Ticket, the new training ground and nothing has changed, the amount of young players coming through for championship clubs are crazy, and then there is us without an U23 side because Hemmings doesn’t want to fund it.

It’d cost around 50,000 per year to have a scout within France, Germany or Spain. The same cost that was paid for Connor Simpson, who isn’t even National League quality at the moment.

That is the difference.

Burke is dreadful, Ginnelly I've not seen that much of so wouldn't like to judge, Stockley is OK but we could & need to do a lot better but for me Rafferty has been spot on.

Far better defender than Andrew Davies will ever be & is one of those steady but unspectacular players than will be a 7 or 8 every week. Personally I would play him instead of Davies.

The rest of it is bang on.

As the thread says

That would be joy for a lot of supporters fed up with the awful lack of ambition, lack of support and being ripped off when our shares were purchased by this man, agreed he has done a lot for the club and he has to be thanked and deserves respect, but yes it is time he hung up his flat cap.

I knew you didn’t live in the real world 😂😂😂😂

Shows the real intent when an Ex-Player is calling for him to pump money into the club and to give his promises or sell up and let someone else give us that.
Shame it’ll probably get shoved to the back of the pile and Trevor Hemmings will never take a look at it, neither will Craig.

Funny how people without money know how to spend the money of those who have it, makes you think why didn’t they amass a big pile of money for themselves to start chucking away on a football club.......🤔