Is it time?

Tugg Speedman

Forum Patron
Patron
Our performances, results and statistics are there for everyone to see and can no longer be ignored, excused, or brushed under the carpet.

We all have our own opinions, some will agree and disagree and that's fine.

I've always maintained that it's a football managers job to get the best performances and best results out of the players. The manager trains and coaches the players, chooses the tactics, selects the team. He should also help motivate the players if/when it's needed. Ultimately he is responsible for the success or failure with the players at his disposal. If this wasn't the case, then we wouldn't need a manager.

With the above in mind, it's now time to ask serious questions about our manager (and his assistant).

Some folk have cited a lack of player quality as the reason for our poor results. However we had a brief spell in the top 2 last autumn, with the same group of players (wiithout Sinclair). In those days we actually tried to win games.

But more revealing was the 2nd half display in the last away game, against a very decent team. Again, we tried to win the game. But today against Cardiff it was back to the usual approach of not losing.

Sadly the 2nd half performance against Brentford was an exception, but it did reveal what the existing players are really capable of and suggested that a lack of quality is not the reason for our consistently poor performances and results.

I would like to suggest that this group of players are under achieving. IMO our poor results are a consequence of poor player management, poor choice of tactics, poor team selection and a lack of proper motivation/instruction.

It seems obvious that Neil either needs to drastically improve on his own performance, or he needs to be replaced. Thankfully it's not my job to find a decent replacement.

Last edited:

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
In spite of my other thread about being ‘bottom six at best’ I’d give him 5 more games. I think 10 games into this season is enough. If we haven’t improved significantly then I think it’s time to go. Really not sure what’s out there though.

Spavin Stardust

Forum Patron
Patron
The formation and tactics are too rigid imho, we have no plan B especially when teams sit deep.

Even last season AN made changes early on when it obviously wasn’t working ( Rovers at home). That desire to make attacking substitutions and make positive changes to try and win games has evaporated. Time after time we have endured 70 mins plus of aimless long balls up to Maguire on his own up front. HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS BEEN SUCCESSFUL?

Then with 10 or 15 mins left on comes Stockley up front on his own with little to no effect.

We do have the players to open up many of the sides in this division imho. What we don’t have is enough of them on the pitch, in the right attacking positions at the same time.

kbd_pne

Forum Patron
Patron
I think we’d end up with someone like Danny Cowley if a change were to be made.

Unless our poor form becomes pretty drastic (we aren’t actually playing that badly) I think anyone calling for the manager’s head won’t get their wish.

There’s no proper alternatives or improvements out there at the moment and I doubt we can afford to sack AN and / or I doubt TH would be willing to pay up his very lucrative (by our standards) contract.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
The formation and tactics are too rigid imho, we have no plan B especially when teams sit deep.

Even last season AN made changes early on when it obviously wasn’t working ( Rovers at home). That desire to make attacking substitutions and make positive changes to try and win games has evaporated. Time after time we have endured 70 mins plus of aimless long balls up to Maguire on his own up front. HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS BEEN SUCCESSFUL?

Then with 10 or 15 mins left on comes Stockley up front on his own with little to no effect.

We do have the players to open up many of the sides in this division imho. What we don’t have is enough of them on the pitch, in the right attacking positions at the same time.
Do you actually believe he sends them out to pump high balls in to Maguire against massive centre backs?

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Name another manager that can get us in the playoffs with this squad then fair enough. But expectations have to be lowered with the players we have. Another top half finish would be decent and we’re only 5 games in.
Name me another manager still in post after 39 points in 36 games.
This forum?????
One of the reasons we’ve never been in the top flight in nearly 60 years, is people thinking it isn’t ok to question a record like
P36 W10 D9 L17
Not managed a goal in 15 of them and only kept a clean sheet in 5 of em.

Yeah, this forum is soooooo unreasonable

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Do you actually believe he doesn't? If he's so against it, why do we do it so often?
Of course he doesn't. We don't start that way but the players end up resorting to it through either a lack of movement or space.

It's a lack of imagination from the players further back as much as it is a lack of quality up front.

Jason Harris

First Team
Name another manager that can get us in the playoffs with this squad then fair enough. But expectations have to be lowered with the players we have. Another top half finish would be decent and we’re only 5 games in.
Name me another manager still in post after 39 points in 36 games.
This forum?????
One of the reasons we’ve never been in the top flight in nearly 60 years, is people thinking it isn’t ok to question a record like
P36 W10 D9 L17
Not managed a goal in 15 of them and only kept a clean sheet in 5 of em.

Yeah, this forum is soooooo unreasonable

Some people just don’t like AN, often for no real reason. He has his faults (he’s 39!) but we’re punching way above our weight given the backing.

Let’s see where we are in Dec.

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
I actually wonder if the contract (non?) negotiations of the B5 is unsettling the rest of team?

It shouldn't as it isn't any of their business but footballers are a strange breed when it comes to £££s...

Michael

Manager
Of course he doesn't. We don't start that way but the players end up resorting to it through either a lack of movement or space.

It's a lack of imagination from the players further back as much as it is a lack of quality up front.

Then as a manager surely thats when you should start making substitutions and mixing it up. Maybe its not just the players with a "lack of imagination"....