Is it time?

OP
Tugg Speedman

Tugg Speedman

Forum Patron
Patron
Of course he doesn't. We don't start that way but the players end up resorting to it through either a lack of movement or space.

It's a lack of imagination from the players further back as much as it is a lack of quality up front.

We have the excat same discussions on here every time a manager starts to struggle. Was the same with Grayson, where there were different opinions on whether he instructed the players to sit back instead of finishing off the opposition.

The manager is responsible for the way we play and the results.

Realistic

Manager
Who is critisising Riis?

Fwiw if you think this forums negativity is deadly you should look at social media.

Most posts on here are well balanced with people putting forward valued arguments on both sides. Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean its deadly.
I didn't say anyone was criticising Riis. Are you so obsessed with your own posts that you can't be bothered to read other people's posts more carefully ?

Just because social media might be even worse, it doesn't make knee jerk negativity acceptable.

Many posts on here are well balanced. Many are not. Just because you think the former doesn't mean that I'm an arsehole.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
We have the excat same discussions on here every time a manager starts to struggle. Was the same with Grayson, where there were different opinions on whether he instructed the players to sit back instead of finishing off the opposition.

The manager is responsible for the way we play and the results.
I agree that the manager is responsible because ultimately it is their job to get the players to follow the instructions.

What i don't agree with (and not a comment I've seen from you btw) is that the manager would instruct the players to send high balls in to a 5'7" striker who falls over a lot at the best of times.

If he has given those instructions then I'd be the first person to hold my hand up and get shut.

JK

The Big Boss
Staff member
Patron
I didn't say anyone was criticising Riis. Are you so obsessed with your own posts that you can't be bothered to read other people's posts more carefully ?

Just because social media might be even worse, it doesn't make knee jerk negativity acceptable.

Many posts on here are well balanced. Many are not. Just because you think the former doesn't mean that I'm an arsehole.

Who called you an arsehole? I certainly didn't.

As for being obsessed with my own posts not sure where that comes from either.

You where talking about folk getting on the back of a new player, apologies for not reading every single post. I thought it would obviously be Riis? Sorry if it wasn't.

You keep referring to knee jerk reactions.. its not knee jerk to be concerned with our home form which has been poor for some time.

HunterLionheart

Advisor to the Owner
Its not knee jerk though is it?

We have been very poor at home for months and lost the last three home games 0-1 without scoring.
Home vs Away makes zero difference with no fans.

I'm literally just astonished and disappointed at how reactionary so many of our fans are. It was a shit game. It came directly after a great game. The idea that we should be sacking our manager, before we've even started the striker he's been waiting a year for, now is absurd. If you don't think so, that's your prerogative, but don't get upset if some people think it's a ridiculous view.

If we get to January and we're circling the relegation drain despite keeping our players and signing a striker? Absolutely, his position becomes untenable.

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
And we don't have the players.

If you look through our squad we have a few players who are top half championship standard and above, a few that are bottom half championship standard and the rest League One at best.

The fact we were as close to the playoffs as we were last year (and I still think if we had brought in a striker in January we would have made it) shows that the manager has been outperforming the reality of where we are as a team.

He has to accept some responsibility for the results and there have been a number of poor performances but in too many games we have lost points due to individual errors rather than anything being especially wrong with the shape or system.

Take Maguire's decision to stay on his feet today after the foul in the box. He falls over when the wind changes usually, it was baffling.
If I may
The answer is maguire simply doesn’t have that natural footballing strikers ingenuity
Never will have

OP
Tugg Speedman

Tugg Speedman

Forum Patron
Patron
Some people just don’t like AN, often for no real reason. He has his faults (he’s 39!) but we’re punching way above our weight given the backing.

We don't know if we are punching above our weight or not with this group of players, because we don't know what results a different manager would achieve with the same players. There always comes a time when enough is enough.

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
I agree that the manager is responsible because ultimately it is their job to get the players to follow the instructions.

What i don't agree with (and not a comment I've seen from you btw) is that the manager would instruct the players to send high balls in to a 5'7" striker who falls over a lot at the best of times.

If he has given those instructions then I'd be the first person to hold my hand up and get shut.
We will never know padster
But we can only comment on what we see. They didn’t suddenly start this arctic part way through. It was there from the get go so follow what you see ?
He picked maguire
He knew their centre backs are like triffids and maguire could play bilbo baggins stunt double
And he should offer some form of strategy and tactics to our squad ?

JK

The Big Boss
Staff member
Patron

I'm literally just astonished and disappointed at how reactionary so many of our fans are. It was a shit game. It came directly after a great game. The idea that we should be sacking our manager, before we've even started the striker he's been waiting a year for, now is absurd. If you don't think so, that's your prerogative, but don't get upset if some people think it's a ridiculous view.

If we get to January and we're circling the relegation drain despite keeping our players and signing a striker? Absolutely, his position becomes untenable.

Who said I was upset?

I was putting across a different viewpoint.

I've not called for the manager to be sacked.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
If I may
The answer is maguire simply doesn’t have that natural footballing strikers ingenuity
Never will have
When he first signed he hit the target with something daft like his first 10 shots, he was scoring and he was creating a nuisance in the box. A combination of the injuries and a lack of confidence in his body/ability have robbed him of what he had and he hadnt been able to adapt the way the very best do.

What I guess I'm trying to say is rather than him not having the strikers ingenuity he doesn't have the top strikers ingenuity.

I think he could have been a consistent 12 goal a season striker for us were it not for the injuries

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
We will never know padster
But we can only comment on what we see. They didn’t suddenly start this arctic part way through. It was there from the get go so follow what you see ?
He picked maguire
He knew their centre backs are like triffids and maguire could play bilbo baggins stunt double
And he should offer some form of strategy and tactics to our squad ?
I'm not sure, I like to think he had hoped that we would have managed to have more space to play through the lines by letting them come on to us a bit more.

He got it wrong today no doubt but I dont believe we were as bad as some are making out. Fine margins at this level

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
Selections are part of tactics which is what I am questioning therefore your gripe against me is yet again unfounded as I am questioning the current tactics.
Really is a waste of time discussing this... but here's one last try.

The current home tactics are a failure, and have been since xmas. On that at least we are agreed.

"Selections are part of tactics" - sure.

But so is setting up with 1 up front and a bone-headed, boring, uncreative tactic every single week at Deepdale, hoping we might achieve the twin miracles of a clean sheet and a goal.

You can pretend we can fix this long-term problem by keeping everything exactly the same and just shuffling a few midfield options around, if you like.

But I see a much bigger systemic problem here, that a bit of squad tweaking can't fix.

Indeed, we already know a bit of squad tweaking won't fix it... because that's all AN has done with it since xmas, and it's still a complete failure.

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
When he first signed he hit the target with something daft like his first 10 shots, he was scoring and he was creating a nuisance in the box. A combination of the injuries and a lack of confidence in his body/ability have robbed him of what he had and he hadnt been able to adapt the way the very best do.

What I guess I'm trying to say is rather than him not having the strikers ingenuity he doesn't have the top strikers ingenuity.

I think he could have been a consistent 12 goal a season striker for us were it not for the injuries
I agree.
I retract never has
Wisely put

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
He needs to start that Riis for a kick-off. You can see the boy is champing at the bit to be amongst it. I’ll be fucked off if he isn’t given a start in the next 3 games.

I do feel like Neil can do no wrong in some people’s eyes when it’s clear he has obvious flaws. I’m pro-Neil FWIW. Think if he had a bigger budget we’d make the top 6. But does that make him a really, really good manager at this level? Not sure. The best managers this league has seen over the years have done more with just as little.

SoccerHQ

Manager
Harrop has joined the "one for the future" brigade.
That's when DJ and AB have left so he has a shot at the 10 role.

He's been here over 3 years. He did get a bad injury halfway through and I think he should play more but would be a bit desperate to suddenly launch him as key player when he's just been a squad one for last 3 seasons.

Also prevents Bayliss ever getting any minutes if he's still a thing.

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner

Hasn’t this actually been proven to not be the case i.e. home advantage, statistically speaking, does still exist even without the presence of fans?

Pretty sure there’s still a sizeable disparity between amount of home and away wins throughout the leagues. Remember reading something a few years ago that playing on the same pitch every other week can have a positive influence on player performance.