PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Israel/Palestine

What sanctions should we impose on Israel

• None.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Heavy economic and political sanctions - not dissimilar to those v Russia

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Notable sanctions but nothing as bad as those v Russia

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do pretty much the same - but it is tedious when you are trying to catch up on a debate and it has descended into personal abuse. Still, as you say, I can always skip past!

Come on be honest, some of the personal abuse is quite entertaining and sometimes gives you a break from the subject matter which most certainly can be quite tedious ( depends on the contributor of course) 🙂

Come on be honest, some of the personal abuse is quite entertaining and sometimes gives you a break from the subject matter which most certainly can be quite tedious ( depends on the contributor of course) 🙂
Never really interested me, to be honest - if it is original and funny, maybe, as I love a good putdown, but the insults I find somewhat tedious. Each to their own, I guess!

That is a bit of a leap - if someone puts everyone with an opposing view on ignore, you have a point. On the other hand, putting an individual on ignore because they don't get on with them is down to personality, not ideas.

I've only ever purposefully put one person on ignore in my 20 years on here , and that was for spamming on the football section.

There are plenty on the football sections that are just so clearly uneducated (and poisonous) in their views about the running of the club that it would save me time and patience to put them on ignore, but its clear from the way they post they dont know what they are talking about. Occasionally the odd one will come across as someone who is informed but clearly isnt so I pull him/her up. The rest I now just laugh off and move on. It would be a form of bullying to try and engage - I have tried it and ended up feeling sorry for them.

I do agree that it is best for some people to put others on actual 'ignore' if they cant just literally ignore without engaging with them and it causes them mental anguish . Or if bad language offends them. I imagine though anything truly out of order is taken down by the moderators but dont really understand that stuff

Not aimed at anyone in particular, or on here , but I struggle to comprehend why people simply want to 'ignore' and eradicate the opinions of someone they dont agree with. I actually prefer people listening to the other side of the debate. If everyone agreed with me life would be incredibly boring!

SnKiwi is one of the very few who come on here and disturb what can otherwise become a bit of an echo chamber, particulary when it comes to complex areas like Israel , a homeland for the Jews and their treatment of the Palestinians. I suspect the consensus view on here is not necessarilly typical of the much wider range of views on the Town End

I've only ever purposefully put one person on ignore in my 20 years on here , and that was for spamming on the football section.

There are plenty on the football sections that are just so clearly uneducated (and poisonous) in their views about the running of the club that it would save me time and patience to put them on ignore, but its clear from the way they post they dont know what they are talking about. Occasionally the odd one will come across as someone who is informed but clearly isnt so I pull him/her up. The rest I now just laugh off and move on. It would be a form of bullying to try and engage - I have tried it and ended up feeling sorry for them.

I do agree that it is best for some people to put others on actual 'ignore' if they cant just literally ignore without engaging with them and it causes them mental anguish . Or if bad language offends them. I imagine though anything truly out of order is taken down by the moderators but dont really understand that stuff

Not aimed at anyone in particular, or on here , but I struggle to comprehend why people simply want to 'ignore' and eradicate the opinions of someone they dont agree with. I actually prefer people listening to the other side of the debate. If everyone agreed with me life would be incredibly boring!

SnKiwi is one of the very few who come on here and disturb what can otherwise become a bit of an echo chamber, particulary when it comes to complex areas like Israel , a homeland for the Jews and their treatment of the Palestinians. I suspect the consensus view on here is not necessarilly typical of the much wider range of views on the Town End
People probably don't believe this but I would happily share a pint with @Snickiwi , well actually it'd be more like a coffee these days. I suspect he would be the same.

A good example would be myself and @Nobber . We really didn't get on, in the early days, I now consider him to be a really good friend who I could share anything about my life in complete confidence knowing it will go no further.

I guess it's true when people say that there's more that unites us than divides us.

Never really interested me, to be honest - if it is original and funny, maybe, as I love a good putdown, but the insults I find somewhat tedious. Each to their own, I guess!

Without the characters and their muck flinging this would be an extremely boring place...

As is often the case, we pretty much agree - I guess that it is a case of whether you are putting people on ignore because of what they say or how they say it. We are all here for different reasons - some for good debate, some for drama, and some to enjoy a conversation. If ignore helps people use the forum and enjoy it, that is what matters, IMO.

I am not a fan of online censorship and love free speech - however, if you are going for light touch censorship, the other side of that is giving people the tools they need to decide what they want to do in their own individual space. I hate people being forced into echo chambers, but if they voluntarily choose to, that is their individual right. Not to my taste, but each to their own.

A bit like real life, really - you can talk about whatever views you want in my house - I had a good debate with a couple of acquaintances who voted Golden Dawn. But, it you start calling my wife a cunt or become aggressive, you get one warning and then you are thrown out.

PS....There are far too many on here that take themselves far too seriously and that's why the the real characters have dwindled down to very few. imho

PS....There are far too many on here that take themselves far too seriously and that's why the the real characters have dwindled down to very few. imho
For me, the best thing about the political forum is that it allows views from all sides - we were sceptical of lockdown, for example, which would have seen you censored or banned on a lot of forums. On others, you saw brexiters or remainers driven off and an echo-chamber form. That didn't happen here - it is a pretty good place to debate. We tend to self-police pretty well.

The football section is another issue - that can get really nasty! 😀

It's not lads....Listening to others even if you find their opinions abhorrent is how we learn different perspectives .... And even then if we don't agree then we can still offer an alternative based on knowledge.

" Ignoring " is very short sighted imho and ultimately gives you nothing other than your own opinion to debate with..
After you've had a heart attack, you might change your mind. Keeping the blood pressure under control becomes a very good idea 🙂

I agree - and if allowing people to ignore others stops things getting out of hand, then the characters have room to flourish without the threat of the banhammer.

Did someone say banhammer? Give me a list of names

Penguin Mod GIF by Pudgy Penguins