PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

It was 50 years ago today ......

Remember the night well. Couldn't believe how many were there on the terraces.
As a 14 yr old fan it was a brilliant game and Spav was brilliant. I was on the Town End right behind the goal. 50 years ago though? Bloody hell, I feel old. šŸ¤£

My first season watching North End, if only every season that followed had been that good. Imagine 28,000 crammed in to a pretty much all standing ground, I was stood right at the front with my cousin on the town end, barely big enough to see over the wall

Was allowed to stay up on the previous Saturday to watch us at Fulham away on MOTD, when Ricky Heppollete's goal put us in the position to win the league.
My uncle had a camper van and decked it all up in North End flags and scarves, we drove around town for what seemed like for ever blasting on the horn. What a night.

Went into the supporters club after the game and it was brilliant.
The team and staff joined us later and guessed they had been celebrating as Alan Ball stumbled up the stairs to get onto the stage.

Fan tastic.

Crowd on the Kop jovially chanting ā€˜Third Division Rubbishā€™ as Roy Tunks approached his goal. He grinned from ear to ear as he ā€˜conductedā€™ the chant!

Little did we know he would later serve PNE admirably with over 300 games! Thanks Roy
wow, i just got deja vu..... i was 10 years old and you have just reminded me about that chant !!

i actually bottled it at the final whistle - I was right at the front of the Kop on the cinder track and when the whistle went , i ran into the nets so that i didnt get crushed in the invasion !!!!

When the team had a free kick outside the penalty area which Spav would take, there were two PNE players in from of the wall to block the defenders sight lines. It seemed a novel idea at the time and for most of the season the tactic failed miserably until the Rotherham game. The rest is history. One of the few standout nights in my last fifty five years watching North End.

When the team had a free kick outside the penalty area which Spav would take, there were two PNE players in from of the wall to block the defenders sight lines. It seemed a novel idea at the time and for most of the season the tactic failed miserably until the Rotherham game. The rest is history. One of the few standout nights in my last fifty five years watching North End.
That free kick was first seen when North End were featured earlier that season on Match of the Day in the away match against Bristol Rovers. The game ended 0-0 and was as dull as ditch water. The only talking point was that novelty free kick

That free kick was first seen when North End were featured earlier that season on Match of the Day in the away match against Bristol Rovers. The game ended 0-0 and was as dull as ditch water. The only talking point was that novelty free kick
If I remember correctly our home match against them was the first game of the season and we won 3-2.

Wasn't Torquay where Alan Ball Snr christened the travelling fans 'The Gentry' or was that somewhere else?

I'm really not sure, ernest.
We were at Torquay a couple of weeks later for a League Cup 2nd round game and we beat them.
For some reason, Plymouth comes to mind and we did play them away in October 1970.

I'm sure clarification is not too far away šŸ™‚