Jamie Jones

rem

Forum Patron
Patron
A lot of posters are criticising SG for signing Jones.

Even though the final decision is his, surely SG would have relied on advice and recommendations he received from Alan Kelly

Because of the doubt over keeping Rudd for longer, is it not realistic to expect SG to have asked Kelly, as goalkeeping coach, last season to scour the country for suitable replacement goalkeepers coming out of contract last summer. Based on Kelly's tweets about Jones after he signed, I believe that this is what happened.

westy2011

Youth Team
Alan Kelly was asked to draw up a list of keepers in which he would sign them. Guess who was top! My only guess is that he was a free transfer so we went with it.

OP
R

rem

Forum Patron
Patron
Alan Kelly was asked to draw up a list of keepers in which he would sign them. Guess who was top! My only guess is that he was a free transfer so we went with it.

Or because he was top of the list as stated at the time of signing him.

dirk pnemouse

Youth Team
Its easy to blame 1 man when all your looking for a scapegoat but try to put a bit of thought behind your witch hunt , the defense is changed almost every game and there full of mistakes so how can any keeper do more in those circumstances ? typical silly fucking witch hunt mentality

Ron Burgundy

Forum Patron
Patron
Its easy to blame 1 man when all your looking for a scapegoat but try to put a bit of thought behind your witch hunt , the defense is changed almost every game and there full of mistakes so how can any keeper do more in those circumstances ? typical silly fucking witch hunt mentality

A common theme on here.

Preston Lad

Forum Patron
Patron

Jones did nothing wrong for me last night.

SF

Advisor to the Owner
It's pretty terrifying how he doesn't get anywhere near any crosses, whatsoever.

He was in no-man's land for the cross which resulted in the penalty.

Impressed, I am not.

Mr Loathsome

Forum Patron
Patron
Jones isn't great. But that was pretty clear even when he first signed. He was relatively poor at Leyton Orient, so why did we sign him in the first place?

Joanpne

Forum Patron
Patron

We'll said Dirk.

Randall Flagg

Forum Patron
Patron
Jones did nothing wrong for me last night.

What about the corner in the first half where he tried to punch but completely missed the flight of the ball? What about when the palmed the ball back into the 6 yard box instead of catching it in the second half? How about every single corner and cross that came in with him rooted to his line. Mate. He's shit.

dirk pnemouse

Youth Team
What about the corner in the first half where he tried to punch but completely missed the flight of the ball? What about when the palmed the ball back into the 6 yard box instead of catching it in the second half? How about every single corner and cross that came in with him rooted to his line. Mate. He's shit.

He's not great but could a lot of his errors be down to having a defense that lets those crosses fly in or a midfield with gaping holes or the fact we give so many stupid free kicks away ? but if people are stupid enough to believe he is the root cause then so be it continue the witch hunt .

Neal Robhead

First Team
Was he not a regular keeper in a team that's made the top 7 the last two seasons? Not a bad shout for a keeper really. We were spoilt with Rudd

Or, maybe he was the reason they didn't finish higher!?

#justsaying

PS My actual opinion is, I feel our problems run much deeper than a less able 'keeper than Rudd. The biggest mystery to me is how we we've completely forgotten how to defend, and this is not all down to JJ, as clean sheets had started to become a rarity in the second half of last season too.

Strange thing is, we still see a lot of dour stuff, but without the shut-outs. So the worst of both worlds really! Terrific!

Randall Flagg

Forum Patron
Patron
He's not great but could a lot of his errors be down to having a defense that lets those crosses fly in or a midfield with gaping holes or the fact we give so many stupid free kicks away ? but if people are stupid enough to believe he is the root cause then so be it continue the witch hunt .

He's not the root cause of the problem. It would be crazy to suggest he was. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that he's shit.

You can't blame defenders for crosses or corners coming in. It's going to happen. A goalkeeper needs to command and take control of his area. He doesn't. Not at all.

SF

Advisor to the Owner
Or, maybe he was the reason they didn't finish higher!?

#justsaying

PS My actual opinion is, I feel our problems run much deeper than a less able 'keeper than Rudd. The biggest mystery to me is how we we've completely forgotten how to defend, and this is not all down to JJ, as clean sheets had started to become a rarity in the second half of last season too.

Strange thing is, we still see a lot of dour stuff, but without the shut-outs. So the worst of both worlds really! Terrific!

The midfield has to take most of the blame for me.

It was far from pretty but we kept clean sheets with Keane and Welsh in there.

We haven't had a ball winner in the team since January.

dirk pnemouse

Youth Team
He's not the root cause of the problem. It would be crazy to suggest he was. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that he's shit.

You can't blame defenders for crosses or corners coming in. It's going to happen. A goalkeeper needs to command and take control of his area. He doesn't. Not at all.

Ill go out on a limb and tell you what i think the root cause is mental strength , oh and match fitness , been saying it for 6 months or more we need to toughen up mentally , now we need to sharpen up fitness wise too .

Randall Flagg

Forum Patron
Patron
Ill go out on a limb and tell you what i think the root cause is mental strength , oh and match fitness , been saying it for 6 months or more we need to toughen up mentally , now we need to sharpen up fitness wise too .

Mental strength, tactical naivety, a revolving door policy in the starting 11 and possibly match fitness.

Maxi_Pne

Youth Team
Declan Rudd is probably one of best g'keeper of all Football League. Jones is a good player, but he isn't better than Rudd, it's simple.