PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a good level Nmecha is playing at? Genuine question...
Think it’s a little dramatic to claim he’s ready for the best league in the world. Was obvious he had ability when with us, but some folk were & still are over the top about him. Compare him to other attacking players of his age in the Prem, how does he shape up? He could & should have done a lot more when with us IMO

I was a fan of Nmecha and thought he would go on to have a very good career. He has all the attributes aside from consistency but that may come with age. His performance against Wigan that season was one of the best front man performances I can remember in a white shirt. Absolutely bullied them for the whole game but then the next week he would be anonymous for long periods. I would certainly have him back here.

Anyone with eyes could see that Nmecha had amazing class. However using those same eyes you could also see that the class he had was for the future. He just wasnt ready for the cut and thrust of the championship.
I liked him, although his better performances were wide right and not as an out and out striker. I think he got a lot of flak because strikers are judged on goals, and some of our more judgemental supporters don't always see the bigger picture.

Anyone with eyes could see that Nmecha had amazing class. However using those same eyes you could also see that the class he had was for the future. He just wasnt ready for the cut and thrust of the championship.
He was unplayable at times, in terms of potential, probably the best teenager I've seen live.

I liked him, although his better performances were wide right and not as an out and out striker. I think he got a lot of flak because strikers are judged on goals, and some of our more judgemental supporters don't always see the bigger picture.
He was very raw whilst with ourselves. Raw pace, raw power and it was clear he had a lot of talent but it needed fine tuning. His assist at Ewood was typical of him, dusted the defender and shrugged him off like he wasn't there.

As much as I thought he was decent for us, I must admit I looked at his loans at Boro and Wolfsburg and thought he had started to fizzle out. Couldn't see him having a pathway into the City eleven on the back of such torrid times on loan. Glad to see him on the way to fulfilling his potential.

He was very raw whilst with ourselves. Raw pace, raw power and it was clear he had a lot of talent but it needed fine tuning. His assist at Ewood was typical of him, dusted the defender and shrugged him off like he wasn't there.

As much as I thought he was decent for us, I must admit I looked at his loans at Boro and Wolfsburg and thought he had started to fizzle out. Couldn't see him having a pathway into the City eleven on the back of such torrid times on loan. Glad to see him on the way to fulfilling his potential.
In fairness, look at Harry's Kane's loan career.

I agree although I can’t immediately think of a CB that we’ve had who could bring the ball out from the back to any great extent.

Oh for Grezza and Cunningham at FB.
St. Ledger used to do it, but yeah other than that they’re few and far between from the centre. Chilvers used to ping long balls out with decent accuracy. Otherwise it’s tended to be HOOOF from the back or give it to a full back.

Chilvers was surprisingly adept at long range passing but to be fair, since SSL we have been mildly deprived of such attacking onus. At present we are crying out for a toothless, muscled brute who wins everything near him, let alone a good ball player.

Definitely current on paper, only Cunningham gets in the bottom team. However he is a huge upgrade on Hughes.

Replacements/backups in the 16/17 team are miles ahead of those we have now. I’d take a fit Small forest and Spurr in a heartbeat today
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Greg Cunningham's contract is up in the summer.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Greg Cunningham's contract is up in the summer.
Would love him back but I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before he would never play under Neil again.

Can anyone confirm if I have that right and if so what happened?

Is it a good level Nmecha is playing at? Genuine question...
Think it’s a little dramatic to claim he’s ready for the best league in the world. Was obvious he had ability when with us, but some folk were & still are over the top about him. Compare him to other attacking players of his age in the Prem, how does he shape up? He could & should have done a lot more when with us IMO
I'm always a bit surprised by people's high expectations of what young players will do. Unless they're one of the very few exceptions, a la Beckham, we'll only ever see glimpses and occassions of what they can do. Nmecha was clearly talented and has the potential to play in the top flight, but when he came to us he was a teenager with no experience of proper footballer and was learning his trade with unfamilar players in a very competitive league - it's not surprising he had a lot of limitations. He was the same age as Ben Davis when he was farmed out to Southport and is now the same age as Davies was at Fleetwood; he's still younger than Hugill was when he was sent to Hartlepool to get more game experience. It takes time for them to develop. And compare him in general to top Premier League strikers at similar stages of their careers - Kane was sent on loan to Orient, Millwall, Norwich etc. in his late teens and early 20s, Salah had played in Egypt and was then in the Swiss league, De Bruyne couldn't get a kick at Chelsea and had only played in Belgium and a season in Germany, Vardy was at Stocksbridge. I could go on...

With the exception of maybe Brownhill i don't think there is a former PNE player out there that I would re-sign right now (excluding loans).

Wouldn't touch Cunningham.
I'd bite your hand off for Robinson and Hugill, but agree with you re Cunningham. Lets look forward, not back.

Status
Not open for further replies.