PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's crap and incapable of contributing to our game against the majority of defences.

Seani might not be much of a goal threat any more, but at least you feel he might be able to contribute to the game in other ways, whereas Stockley just heads the ball to nobody 9 times out of 10.
I agree Stockley not good enough but we need to get to the by line or at least get decent crosses into the box from high up the pitch not from just past the half way line , he hasn’t many assets but we don’t play to the one he’s got . Scoring headers, he can’t score when he’s being used as a target man 20 yards away from the area .

Sounds like an ancient system that though. The old have 2 up front, one to feed off the big lad winning the flick ons etc.
I agree with that and I am not suggesting we play a little and large up front, just saying he would be more effective in that system. As other have said, he just isn't good enough for this level.

The problem with Maguire is that sadly due to injuries he isn’t the player he was. When he first arrived he had a burst of pace, was strong with a low centre of gravity and generally got a shot on target. I was very impressed with what I saw. However since the second injury all of those things have deteriorated and much as I like the guy I can’t justify him starting as the sole forward especially when his nearest team mate is 30 yards away. In games where the front three constantly swap (think Leeds away last year) he still has a role but being up there on his own bouncing off giant defenders just makes no sense and I can’t see why we keep doing it!

Could actually see Pearson & Davies going out on loan if we sign a direct replacement for BD, mad but if they won't be playing.... obviously not to someone in the same league.

How anyone can watch Jayden Stockley and think he needs to be given a run of games is beyond me.
I 'liked' Ernest's post but more to do with AN persisting with Maguire as a lone central striker. On the subject of Stockley, I don't think he's as bad as people make out, but I guess it's all about opinions. As Ernest alluded to, compared to Seanie, Stockley hasn't had an extended run in the side.
Ironically, I think both players could/would compliment each other, in a 442 formation, but will no doubt be ridiculed for suggesting such a thing.
FWIW, I think for both lads, the Championship is probably a level too far. Although to be fair to Maguire, pre injuries, he looked the business.

I 'liked' Ernest's post but more to do with AN persisting with Maguire as a lone central striker. On the subject of Stockley, I don't think he's as bad as people make out, but I guess it's all about opinions. As Ernest alluded to, compared to Seanie, Stockley hasn't had an extended run in the side.
Ironically, I think both players could/would compliment each other, in a 442 formation, but will no doubt be ridiculed for suggesting such a thing.
FWIW, I think for both lads, the Championship is probably a level too far. Although to be fair to Maguire, pre injuries, he looked the business.
I think the lad that no one is talking about is Riis and he's the best we've got. That's who I'd persist with!

Jayden Stockley played 90 minutes of practically every game for Exeter and he rewarded his Manager with a raft of goals that fired them into the top 6 of L2.
Unfortunately for Stockley, he can’t fulfill the style of play that AN wants from him, and AN is too stubborn to change style to play to Stockley‘s strengths.

Jayden Stockley played 90 minutes of practically every game for Exeter and he rewarded his Manager with a raft of goals that fired them into the top 6 of L2.
Unfortunately for Stockley, he can’t fulfill the style of play that AN wants from him, and AN is too stubborn to change style to play to Stockley‘s strengths.
Why should AN change his style of play for a player that isn't good enough for this league. Surely you fit your system around your best players?

I think the lad that no one is talking about is Riis and he's the best we've got. That's who I'd persist with!
Yes, I agree with that, but AN clearly doesn't. His persistence/stubbornness in playing Maguire borders on madness as far as I'm concerned.

He started off well but our home performances don’t particularly suit his style of play. We had 2 consecutive home games that we lost, he was poor and missed an easy chance, and that was him out of the reckoning for the time being. Riis is another player that seems to have lost confidence after a decent start.

What strengths no speeds can’t win the ball in the air and can’t outmuscle championship centre half’s .

Yes, I agree with that, but AN clearly doesn't. His persistence/stubbornness in playing Maguire borders on madness as far as I'm concerned.
Maguire isn't a goal threat but he still offers more than stockley. But I agree with most on here he shouldn't be our main first choice striker

Again, I agree, but I reckon Kane and Vardy would be shite in a team managed by AN.

I think that when they are scouting players they should be looking more at does this player play like we want rather than can we change him to fit our style and then ask will he be able to step up a league or two.

Again, I agree, but I reckon Kane and Vardy would be shite in a team managed by AN.
Cameron Jerome scored 9 goals in Neil’s first 6 months at Norwich. He was on 12 goals for the season before Norwich sacked Neil in 16/17. Hugill was in double figures in 6 months under Neil before he left.

Clearly actual proven decent Championship strikers are more than capable of getting some goals in Neil’s system, so it’s drivel imo to suggest Kane and Vardy wouldn’t.

You’re expecting miracles if you think Neil can turn players like Maguire and Stockley into regular scorers in the Championship.

Where Neil is going wrong at the moment is persisting with Maguire at the expensive of Riis.

The operative part of that comment is "L2"

Exactly, ernest. He hasn’t started more than 4 games on the trot and it’s common knowledge that strikers thrive on confidence and that comes with playing run of games. He’s shown on a few occasions that he’s a good option to have if used properly. Even his biggest critics can’t deny the way he changed the Rovers game when we came back from 2 goals down to win 3-2, and that shows he could be good enough if he improved his consistency levels. The only way to improve consistency levels is to play regularly and he hasn’t been given that opportunity. He’s also been dropped after scoring in games, and that is a sure way of knocking a strikers confidence. Stockley is no world beater but he was a good option to have, and if AN thinks Ched Evans is a better option to have, I really don’t think he’s the Manager to take us forwards.

Agreed - frankly I have reached the point where I would rather we have Stockley than AN.

Status
Not open for further replies.