PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t rate Riis at all. Yes he can score a goal out of nothing but I think his hold up play is non existent, he can’t head or link up up with the other forwards. He must be awful to play with. Most moves break down when they get to him as he has no ball control. He seems to be only in the team for the breakaway, when the ball is booted down the pitch and he gives chase. There must be better players out there that we could afford from the money we’d receive for him.
Yeah for the money we were being offered for him and who we could have gone out and bought for a quarter of that sum its kind of disappointing. There is still a chance he could be bought in January but Boro might not be interested anymore.

Yeah for the money we were being offered for him and who we could have gone out and bought for a quarter of that sum its kind of disappointing. There is still a chance he could be bought in January but Boro might not be interested anymore.
Like who? Which Championship ready 20 goal striker could we have bought for <2 million? And even then, doesn't our situation only actively improve if we also sign the second striker or wingback we need?

Spav left North End in 1973 to play in the USA for the 'North American Soccer League club Washington Diplomats, coming back to Deepdale, initially playing 1 game In the 77-78 season (Bury, away), and then Sheff.Utd,QPR & Sunderland at the beginning of the next.
Played a total of 486 games for PNE, and is a legend, most would agree who watched him would say that - 'if he played well the North End team played well'.
Centre Half John Bird was the reason that Bobby Charlton resigned as PNE manager, when he was sold against his wishes to Newcastle, in a move which brought  Alex Bruce back to Deepdale . Not every Cloud has a silver lining, but that one did.
Hugill would come back if we offered him enough. We won't, I hope.
Spavin also made several substitute appearances during the 77-78 season (Wrexham, Lincoln, Bury and Exeter in the league and Wrexham again in the FA Cup)

Like who? Which Championship ready 20 goal striker could we have bought for <2 million? And even then, doesn't our situation only actively improve if we also sign the second striker or wingback we need?
I think of it like, the recruitment that could have been achieved if we got the money for Riis. Obviously selling a 20 goal striker seems like a bit of a stupid decision but we could have gone out and got a quality wingback and maybe even two quality strikers who could chip in with goals but also set up chances for others. I feel like Riis scores important goals and i thought this season he would start to link up more in the final third but he just does not have it in him. I wouldnt be against him staying for however long it will be but we aren't going out and signing any long term deals for top players this January or next summer if we do not get the money from the sale of a player.

I think of it like, the recruitment that could have been achieved if we got the money for Riis. Obviously selling a 20 goal striker seems like a bit of a stupid decision but we could have gone out and got a quality wingback and maybe even two quality strikers who could chip in with goals but also set up chances for others. I feel like Riis scores important goals and i thought this season he would start to link up more in the final third but he just does not have it in him. I wouldnt be against him staying for however long it will be but we aren't going out and signing any long term deals for top players this January or next summer if we do not get the money from the sale of a player.
You think we would get one senior Championship wage off the books and replace him with three more wages? While paying decent fees?

We're not even trying to match the wages of our existing players.

The only reason we didn't sell, I suspect, is that the club we're confident his value wouldn't depreciate over the next 6-12 months.

If Boro come back in then he'll be gone as the club know we're probably safe this year. Expect someone like Cole Stockton and a loan to replace him.

You think we would get one senior Championship wage off the books and replace him with three more wages? While paying decent fees?

We're not even trying to match the wages of our existing players.

The only reason we didn't sell, I suspect, is that the club we're confident his value wouldn't depreciate over the next 6-12 months.

If Boro come back in then he'll be gone as the club know we're probably safe this year. Expect someone like Cole Stockton and a loan to replace him.
If Hemmings pocketed the sum of money we were hearing we could get for Riis over the summer which was reported around 10 million then i would be stunned. It would easily be the biggest fee we would have received for a single player ever. I understand where you are coming from though, when we sold Hugill and Robinson we never replaced them, instead we went for cheap options from the leagues below if i remember correctly. If we do go off track record then that is what most fans would expect, but with the current tension between the fans and the higher executives at the club the backlash would be insane. Lowe would 100% leave when a bigger club come in for him, and many players would simply just leave. I would never forgive them if they did that.

If Hemmings pocketed the sum of money we were hearing we could get for Riis over the summer which was reported around 10 million then i would be stunned. It would easily be the biggest fee we would have received for a single player ever. I understand where you are coming from though, when we sold Hugill and Robinson we never replaced them, instead we went for cheap options from the leagues below if i remember correctly. If we do go off track record then that is what most fans would expect, but with the current tension between the fans and the higher executives at the club the backlash would be insane. Lowe would 100% leave when a bigger club come in for him, and many players would simply just leave. I would never forgive them if they did that.
There would be no backlash, we'd just moan over the internet. Not a chance our fanbase ever mounts a serious protest.

All that would happen is we'd drop to our usual core of season ticket holders next season.

We'd sell Riis for £8m and then the Riddler would release one of his obnoxious statements talking about how much money the wonderful Hemmings family put in each month.

Good players cost money. And we've never reinvested properly any time we've sold an asset, even for good money. You're probably right in that we'd spend a quarter, but if that were split over multiple players? It would be league 1 rubbish all over again.

Good players cost money. And we've never reinvested properly any time we've sold an asset, even for good money. You're probably right in that we'd spend a quarter, but if that were split over multiple players? It would be league 1 rubbish all over again.

Still find it crazy that out of all the players who were released from Premier League academies or who would be allowed to leave for a nominal fee to progress their career, none were deemed worthy of investing in here as a project even with us apparently having new scouting and a data-led approach to unearth talent.

Still find it crazy that out of all the players who were released from Premier League academies or who would be allowed to leave for a nominal fee to progress their career, none were deemed worthy of investing in here as a project even with us apparently having new scouting and a data-led approach to unearth talent.
It seems anything beyond 12 months is too much of a commitment for the current ownership

Why it's so weird to prepare, and publicise a serious, exhaustive Year-by-Year "5 year plan" ( including yearly ''plan B's" if the original expectations haven't been realised) by the Owners/Board - baffles me.

Isn't this what professional, progressive organisations carry out?

We still don't have a squad for U23s, why would promising talent bother coming here?

Very much doubt it. IMO the way he has been playing recently his value decreases with every match.

Very much doubt it. IMO the way he has been playing recently his value decreases with every match.
Should have two assists in his last three to be fair, with chances he put on a plate for Browne (Swansea) and Evans (Millwall).

Zero all round play though supposedly.

He on the other hand is having 1.7 shots per game with our wonderful service. Scarily though, that's still the second highest ratio in the squad with Parrott (2.2), Evans (1.4), and Brady (1.1).

That means our strike force are having around 3 shots per game. Doesn't give us the best chance of scoring goals.

Should have two assists in his last three to be fair, with chances he put on a plate for Browne (Swansea) and Evans (Millwall).

Zero all round play though supposedly.

He on the other hand is having 1.7 shots per game with our wonderful service. Scarily though, that's still the second highest ratio in the squad with Parrott (2.2), Evans (1.4), and Brady (1.1).

That means our strike force are having around 3 shots per game. Doesn't give us the best chance of scoring goals.
Too much sense here. Mods, get him banned!

There would be no backlash, we'd just moan over the internet. Not a chance our fanbase ever mounts a serious protest.

All that would happen is we'd drop to our usual core of season ticket holders next season.

We'd sell Riis for £8m and then the Riddler would release one of his obnoxious statements talking about how much money the wonderful Hemmings family put in each month.
Yeah a protest would not happen in all fairness, it would just hurt the fans and bring the mood down even more. Surely some of the players like Browne and DJ who have been here a long time are getting a bit tired of this little spending on players. January could be a total shitshow or something interesting, I already know what most fans think is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.