PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to rub salt in the wound , Bowler has rejoined Blackpool on loan….. they did one of their cheesy reveals on Twitter at 7-30pm….
Great news that.

They’ll forget all about how Appleton is deep undercover taking them down to League 1.

Sadler has gone full Hemmings by bringing in a former player as a fan pleaser. They desperately need a CM and CB but have moved for two attackers…

That’s the point neither would anyone else care if we got 3 points more often than not BUT WE DON’T which makes it boring.

come on now Joan, you nearly wet your knickers (if you were wearing them) after those 4 home league wins, had to be sedated and promised to snog Derek Shaw.

That’s the point neither would anyone else care if we got 3 points more often than not BUT WE DON’T which makes it boring.
Again never said we where winning this is the question I asked and the response I got.

What if we where winning games and looking likely to go up to the prem playing hoofball would you still stay away?
OB1
There wouldn’t be a great risk of that

But probably yes. Or at least selective in games. It’s not enjoyable to watch

I’ve nothing against Barnes (actually that’s a lie, I think he’s a nasty piece of work but I’ve got nothing against him as a player). It’s what his signing would indicate - more specifically that with our owners he’d likely be the only offensive signing bar an unproven kid

For Barnes or any other big forward player to work, the squad needs players to help him. Players we do not have

It’s all irrelevant, because there’s no solid link. I simply made a hypothetical comment that this poster clearly took to heart
You are correct, it’s all irrelevant…..

Reactions: OB1
I know. At no point have I said we where winning games. I said I wouldn't care if it was 90 minutes of hoofing the ball to Barnes aslong as we got the 3 points.
Maybe come back to make this argument when we actually start winning or scoring the odd goal at home.

Not everyone only cares about winning. Some people want some degree of entertainment on show too. Nothing wrong with that. That said, most people will put up with shite, if results remain consistently good.

Right now the football on show is worse than hoofball. It's not direct, it's not effective, there's zero intensity, it's not pacy. It's non-threatening, stuck in neutral, ultra defensive football.

Yet we are repeatedly told it's an attacking, possession based brand of footy. And I think that's just hard to swallow for some of us.

It’s all about priorities, and every fan will have a differing opinion.

Personally, I don’t give a shit what league we are in. I care more about being entertained, rather than winning at any cost. Currently, what’s on display achieves neither of these things.
I agree we all have differing opinions and perspectives. Ironically I would probably put up with hoof-ball if we were getting consistent results I believe most fans would. I do care which league we are in, it’s all about the competition, the sport and the competitiveness between rivals. If you don’t care I don’t understand why you would go on a cold and wet winters day if you are not bothered anyway.

Yet we are repeatedly told it's an attacking, possession based brand of footy. And I think that's just hard to swallow for some of us.

It's all for media sound bites. The headline. The quick quote to go with the 20second goal clip on Sky or 2mins of highlights on ITV to give the impression we were brilliant to anyone not watching.

Purely self-promoting.

Alex Neil had us right at the top of the table playing “basic” football. We hoofed it forward to Hugill and had a goalscoring midfielder and two fast goalscoring wingers exploiting the space he created, we countered and pressed high. And it was a brilliant watch

This squad has no goalscoring midfielders and no pace. Only one player can cross a ball, so how do you expect us to make two physical strikers work? I’ve not issue with basic football. I’ve an issue with football that has no style at all

It’s funny though how managers style of football changes when they are with us.

Hugil was essential to Alex Neil’s style of play in his first season. When we lost him and maguire (who was injured at the time) results and performances dipped. Second season we played well until we fell away towards the end.

Ryan Lowe can with a promise. Attacking football with wing backs. Before he left for us his Plymouth team that season has scored in every home game bar one. He clearly wants to play that style. But then he came to Preston.

Fans will always hold Lowe to account because of his statement ‘attack with 6, defend with 4.’ Rightly or wrong he said that’s how he wanted us to play. But I think it’s hard to find a style with these players that will appease fans. No centre back bar hughes is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Our centre backs struggle with pace. We have no drive/pace in midfielder.

It frustrates me because Lowe will never be given a chance here to make his formation work. We might as well just fire him off and appoint a nobody. Relegation is going to happen eventually might as well make it this season.

Seriously hope we don’t bring in Barnes. Probably would guarantee I don’t bother getting a ST next year. Signing him would effectively guarantee we’re going with the “hoof it long to the big man and hope something falls for us” style, and I’m not paying money to watch that
Have u ever watched barnes play he likes it on the ground & can dribble & a decent shot.
Better than we have

Maybe come back to make this argument when we actually start winning or scoring the odd goal at home.

Not everyone only cares about winning. Some people want some degree of entertainment on show too. Nothing wrong with that. That said, most people will put up with shite, if results remain consistently good.

Right now the football on show is worse than hoofball. It's not direct, it's not effective, it's not pacy. It's non-threatening, stuck in neutral, ultra defensive football.

I would argue though at the start of the season we did seem to have a clear style and we attacked well at home but for whatever reason missed chance after chance leading to those bizarre 0-0s.

Right now we’re missing Brady and Parrott and have had a few key players out since coming back from the World Cup, it has to be having a big impact on how we set up to play.

I think until injured players return and/or there are reinforcements in January, we’re just taking it game by game, with no clear “brand” trying to keep ourselves within touching distance.

I think signing Ashley Barnes would be a great signing to this team. A player that can hold the ball up and make it stick then give the ball to midfielders who can then sort out some attack.
For me it would work, still need a quality right wing back mind.
If the owners fail to invest they don’t deserve to be patrons of this great club.

I agree we all have differing opinions and perspectives. Ironically I would probably put up with hoof-ball if we were getting consistent results I believe most fans would. I do care which league we are in, it’s all about the competition, the sport and the competitiveness between rivals. If you don’t care I don’t understand why you would go on a cold and wet winters day if you are not bothered anyway.
I agree - route one football is forgiven when it works. Goals are an adrenaline rush. Route one football isn’t forgivable when it doesn’t pay dividends.

Perhaps I should have worded it better.

What I meant was I would rather be competitive in a lower division, than struggle and watch dire football in a higher one.

For me football is an entertainment business. If I’m spending £30 on a ticket, I want to be entertained. I’ll always forgive a draw or a loss so long as we give it a good go.

It’s dreadful to watch at the moment, but I’m giving him the benefit that it’s down to the players he has at his disposable and that it’ll change soon. But Barnes coming in would disprove that
I have no confidence in the players he’ll have at his disposal getting any better under the current ownership, no matter how many transfer windows pass us by .

It is possible for a game to be absolutely shit boring to watch, and for us to win that same game. Look at Stoke, and lots of our other wins over the last few years.

Not sure what this strange magical purism is that @sabpne is advocating, where you can be bored to tears for 90 minutes in real time - absolutely bored out of your skull as 90 literal minutes tick by - and then a last minute winner magically means you weren't bored after all, because it's all about the result.

Football simply doesn't work like that, unless you watch it solely via the results teleprinter.

I think signing Ashley Barnes would be a great signing to this team. A player that can hold the ball up and make it stick then give the ball to midfielders who can then sort out some attack.
For me it would work, still need a quality right wing back mind.
If the owners fail to invest they don’t deserve to be patrons of this great club.
To be fair, Huddersfield got playoffs last season playing Danny Ward and Jordan Rhodes up top.

It is possible for a game to be absolutely shit boring to watch, and for us to win that same game. Look at Stoke, and lots of our other wins over the last few years.

Not sure what this strange magical purism is that @sabpne is advocating, where you can be bored to tears for 90 minutes in real time - absolutely bored out of your skull as 90 literal minutes tick by - and then a last minute winner magically means you weren't bored after all, because it's all about the result.

Football simply doesn't work like that, unless you watch it solely via the results teleprinter.
As I've said my question was would it be boring to watch if that style of football was taking us to the prem, the answer I got was yes.

Stoke fans enjoyed the way they played hard to beat annoying teams cheering tackles like goals. Half of the entertainment is the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.