PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be embarrassing if Boro didn't go up now, the amount of strength in depth they have acquired this window is incredible. There are some strong teams in the division now with Norwich getting back into form but with the money they have they should be making it to the playoff final.

Madness returning with an improved bid for a player they want.

If they worked smarter and harder, they could sit back and wait until deadline day, go back in with the same lowball bid again, and not get the player.
To be fair, that approach always works for PNE. 🤔

I think it would be embarrassing if Boro didn't go up now, the amount of strength in depth they have acquired this window is incredible. There are some strong teams in the division now with Norwich getting back into form but with the money they have they should be making it to the playoff final.
It's called building a squad.

It's not "embarrassing", it's what we should be doing.

We really are desperate for something aren't we 👀👀 Really is a sad state of affairs when we're talking about every other clubs business while there is absolutely nothing at all happening at our own 😭
It's kinda worse than nothing at all happening. Our permanent 23/24 senior squad with actual contracts consists of: 2 goalies. 5 centrebacks. 1 wingback. 4 midfielders. And 2 strikers.
It's called building a squad.

It's not "embarrassing", it's what we should be doing.
Yes. We have spent three transfer windows under Lowe and we still could be left with Potts as our one temporary wingback and a 34 year old Evans as our only fit striker.

But, no alarm sirens going off seemingly. This is just seen as "business as usual". I guess Craig did say it might take "3-4 windows" to get the squad we wanted.

I stupidly thought he was referring to actual squad development. Not just pruning everything down to bare bones, to be topped up with even more loans and one year deals.

Yes. We have spent three transfer windows under Lowe and we still could be left with Potts as our one temporary wingback and a 34 year old Evans as our only fit striker.

But, no alarm sirens going off seemingly. This is just seen as "business as usual". I guess Craig did say it might take "3-4 windows" to get the squad we wanted.

I stupidly thought he was referring to actual squad development. Not just pruning everything down to bare bones, to be topped up with even more loans and one year deals.
Yep, Boro's goal is promotion. A failure to win promotion this season would not be seen as "embarrassing" to them - just an indicator that they need to do better next season. The goal remains the same and the quality of squad depth they are building this season will only help them do better next time.

Craig's approach views promotion as like a lottery win - it's a one-off, once-in-60-years event, it's not something you can influence in your favour, except by staying up and therefore getting yourself a "ticket". Every summer they roll the dice, hire some guys, pay off some guys, spend the budget, and - much like picking lottery numbers - they hope that's enough to "win" promotion. If not, clear the decks next summer and roll the dice again. Nothing is being built, "the squad Lowe wants" is just a chimera, whether he waits 3-4 or 300-400 transfer windows.

That anyone would think ours is a credible strategy to winning promotion to the Prem is what's "embarrassing" here.

Last edited:
I always wonder where they get the money and more importantly how they stay within FFP rules.

...and why is it embarrassing to fail? At least they'll have tried.

Some in the corridors of power would argue that we are doing everything we can.

Without ever going to the crazy lengths of thinking "what can we change so we can do a bit more?"

Of course most of us have a decent answer along the lines of "buy low, sell high, invest the profit" and by and by you can start the cycle with multi million players rather than Jordan Hugill and Callum Robinson and the rewards get higher.

Thats all too much effort though. Much more fun to buy a cheap lottery ticket in search of instant gratification.

It's kinda worse than nothing at all happening. Our permanent 23/24 senior squad with actual contracts consists of: 2 goalies. 5 centrebacks. 1 wingback. 4 midfielders. And 2 strikers.

With Maguire and Olusunde getting paid to leave, aren't we actually down to about 18 true senior players now? With the remainder being u-20 loans that have to count as a senior, plus the one 18yr old we have to count as a senior to comply with the homegrown rules. Threadbare doesn't even come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.