Joel Byrom - new 1 year deal?

rem

Forum Patron
Patron
Who's had more of a chance for whatever reason?

The reason is that Wroe has not played well since Grayson became manager. When he has had chances to impress, he did not take them. It is pretty clear that Wroe won't be on our books next season and possibly not after January when the window opens.

The reason is that Wroe has not played well since Grayson became manager. When he has had chances to impress, he did not take them. It is pretty clear that Wroe won't be on our books next season and possibly not after January when the window opens.

The decline of Wroe has been startling. He was superb when he first arrived. Was scoring goals, creating chances and looked like the answer to our long standing central midfield issue. Ever since 2013 started he's looked like a different player. It's not like he just stopped scoring and that was the end. He actually became a liability. He was giving the ball away in dangerous areas multiple times per game. Very odd decline.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
We are not short of central midfield battlers - it is creativity and goalscoring potential that we lack there. If Byrom was the answer to that problem he would be playing - the fact that he isn't would indicate that SG thinks he is not good enough even if he is a much impoved player this season. Otherwise why sign Kilkenny who I thought looked quite neat in the brief in the time he on the field on Saturday. Why, also, play Brownhill ahead of him. As for Wroe even when he was at his best he could still also have games where he was a nonentity. In the end neither Wroe nor Byrom have what it takes to be in a side pushing for promotion back to the Championship though both have the ability to look good in less demanding circumstances.

One of our own

Youth Team
He may not be the best midfielder in the world but he is 5th choice so give the guy a break. He is better than Moose (gone) and technically better than Wroe (gone) and its a year extensions so hardly big bucks.

I don't think he will start many games this season but he has contributed this season and hopefully will do again. We need a squad and can't replace everyone

Delaney

Forum Patron
Patron
All teams need squad players who can't win games and aren't that good but can play and not lose us games that often. Byrom is one of these players for us and I doubt we could get another player willing to play that role for the money he is on so IMO we should keep him for numbers.

spam fritter

Reserve
You can only put 11 players on the pitch at any one time,but every club needs players who can come in and do a job when one of the first choice 11 is out.Byrom falls into this category & if he is happy to stay on for another 12 months as a squad player,then I for one am glad to have him on board.If SG thinks he's good enough to do a job for us then that's good enough for me.

pne1881

Advisor to the Owner

Can't think of many chances he's had apart from maybe the JPT game v Oldham when admittedly he was awful but then so was everyone else.

Byrom on the other hand seems to have had a fair few chances & IMO at least hasn't impressed at all.

sf

Advisor to the Owner
Can't think of many chances he's had apart from maybe the JPT game v Oldham when admittedly he was awful but then so was everyone else.

Byrom on the other hand seems to have had a fair few chances & IMO at least hasn't impressed at all.

Garner was the only player to leave that game with some self respect, missed three good chances but his general play was excellent.

Tanny

First Team
I'm not Byrom's biggest fan but he has shown that he can be useful. Garner was in a similar position but then has proved himself recently so let's just give him a chance. Certainly happier with him than Wroe or Mousinho, who are looking likely to be moving on permanently.

mattypne

Youth Team
All teams need squad players who can't win games and aren't that good but can play and not lose us games that often. Byrom is one of these players for us and I doubt we could get another player willing to play that role for the money he is on so IMO we should keep him for numbers.

exactly the way i see it! I think byrom is a decent player at this level.. people need to understand we haven't got millions to spend, Kilkenny will be on decent money at Bristol city so will be difficult to sign him on a permanent deal. its like when Robertson got told he had no future before Cansdell Sheriff... that wasn't down to ability its down to wages, Robertson was on over 2k a week so made sense to get rid before SCS who will be on probably half that.