PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

John Beck's super white army

He certainly understood connection between fans and players, and the potential contribution of home fans.

Alas different era when fans went onto Deepdale 'hoping' for a good result despite the tactics on show.

Fast forward to now and the ground is full of tactical experts and player performance analysers who spend 90min filling up their notebooks for future reference. :)

Alas different era when fans went onto Deepdale 'hoping' for a good result despite the tactics on show.

Fast forward to now and the ground is full of tactical experts and player performance analysers who spend 90min filling up their notebooks for future reference. :)
It has always been a mystery to me why, after a player has gone off injured, managers seem quite content to play on with 10 men for seemingly ages whilst the coaches shuffle through reams of paper with the replacement. About the only time they wouldn't would be if it was the keeper I guess.

It has always been a mystery to me why, after a player has gone off injured, managers seem quite content to play on with 10 men for seemingly ages whilst the coaches shuffle through reams of paper with the replacement. About the only time they wouldn't would be if it was the keeper I guess.

I think the look on the oncoming subs face and the preening involved to look acceptable tells you all you need to know about whether he's paying attention to the claptrap he's being fed.

Much prefer the simple phrases like, 'get on there and make a fookin difference' , 'go get yourself fucking a goal' or 'put that flash bastard on his arse sharpish' as instructed on a regular basis on Waverley or Grange Park back in the day.

I think the look on the oncoming subs face and the preening involved to look acceptable tells you all you need to know about whether he's paying attention to the claptrap he's being fed.

Much prefer the simple phrases like, 'get on there and make a fookin difference' , 'go get yourself fucking a goal' or 'put that flash bastard on his arse sharpish' as instructed on a regular basis on Waverley or Grange Park back in the day.

A few years ago, Everton had a goalkeeper injured and he had to go off. Whilst they were waiting, the coach stood jabbering away at the sub keeper for several minutes, showing him diagrams, flip charts and all sorts. Why didn’t he just tell him to stop the ball when it came near the goal or catch it when it was crossed?

Sounded like something John McGrath would have come out with😂

For all his tactical faults , there is no denying that John Beck re-ignited the football club in 1993.....

The crowds went up from 3,500 to 7,000 within weeks of his arrival..

Basically, he was responsible for transforming the Town End into the “ Home End “ and it became a bouncing, noisy place to be every home game .... I used to look forward to every game for the atmosphere alone

I went to my first match when he was in charge, we got beat 2-1 by Cardiff. Alan Ball was my first regular though.
My first match was Preston v Blackpool - I thought it was 1967 but I am sure that when I checked recently it was 68/69 season...

We won 1-0