PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Josh Earl

Ben Davies was hopeless at left back. I saw him contually skinned in that win over Bournemouth when Makienok scored a hat trick. When movedvto LCB he was a revelation. We need to move Earl into left CB to see if he can deliver. If not he has to go.

Completely agree, however, I don't think his 1v1 defending is good enough for when he potentially gets isolated.

The lad needs a chance under the new management. Even on Saturday mid game you could see Lowe telling him (and showing him) to open his body out and take the ball wider rather than in front of him or cutting in.

There's a player in there, one who is probably a bit low on confidence but one I actually think can improve with an arm around him and some dedicated coaching.

The lad needs a chance under the new management. Even on Saturday mid game you could see Lowe telling him (and showing him) to open his body out and take the ball wider rather than in front of him or cutting in.

There's a player in there, one who is probably a bit low on confidence but one I actually think can improve with an arm around him and some dedicated coaching.
I seriously have my doubts about him and Storey - there’s something missing about maturity on the pitch and reading the game - I suspect they’ll both need wiser heads around them for the rest of their careers.

100% agree

Great lad but just not good enough to make a threatening impact.
Not a full back, not a winger and not a wingback.
Pity. He is committed.

Having proper leadership and quality coaching instead of the constant 5-a-sides in training will certainly help all the players improve. The appointment of Mike Marsh is going to make a huge difference to this squad.

I suggest that a fair few players are effectively now on trial until the summer. Enough time for these players to make an on field statement. We can probably guess the 8 - 10 names.

However, some might even be gone this January. 👀

No sentiment. Prove your worth, adapt or be gone. Quite simple really.

Frustrating is Earl, he looks like he's got it in him but wether it's confidence etc I don't know, when he's aggressive he's at his best.

I think a lot of players either stood still or went backwards towards the end of ANs reign and during FMs tenure, Earl perhaps more than most.
Hoping under the new regime some of those will kick on and improve

Frustrating is Earl, he looks like he's got it in him but wether it's confidence etc I don't know, when he's aggressive he's at his best.
It is the cutting inside and then passing back whilst remaining static that pisses me off.

If you can't beat your man one on one, then fine, pass back but FFS, you then move into space that gives you an attacking advantage. Don't stand there like a bloody statue.

I think a lot of players either stood still or went backwards towards the end of ANs reign and during FMs tenure, Earl perhaps more than most.
Hoping under the new regime some of those will kick on and improve

Earl started 5 games under Neil last season, though injury played a part.

He didn't start this season in the team either, then I thought he did really well for about 10 games but then dipped just before the Liverpool game. He's still trying to get his career going really after stop/start loan spells.

The issue we have is there's limited alternatives that offer the balance on the left. It's why I think he'll still play under Lowe but with different instructions.

He's an enigma.

Sometimes unplayable. (Think about the first season he broke into the team - he was a revelation)

Also can be indifferent - which perhaps comes with taking on responsibility that younger breakthrough players don't need to worry about so much?

He's not the only North End player who struggles with consistency.

I’ve praised Josh in the past & it was thoroughly deserved. He’s had some great performances. I have noticed recently though his negative mind set, has this been coached into him by AN/FM? I posted on another thread about Bayliss lack of confidence, it seems Josh is struggling a little. Think he needs support & encouragement, maybe even to be benched & fight for his place. Really like the lad & hope he finds form again, still not sure he’s a wingback but wouldn’t mind seeing him as a ball carrying CB. It worked for Ben Davies.

earls a left sided CB/LB for me, needs time in that position to prove it tho,

he's not a WB...would play him at CB over cunningham but not over hughes...

I think it will all change over the coming weeks/months, we dont have any wingbacks at the club the way lowe wants to play

Considering Josh is predominantly left footed, I'm surprised how much he wants to cut inside onto his arguably weaker foot, when we know he has reasonably good pace and strength to take on the full back on the outside.
I agree he seems to have lost some confidence and belief in his ability which is hampering both him and the team as a whole.
In some respects Hughes is just as frustrating going forward, whilst often playing a sideways or backward pass at the first sign of an approach by an opposing player instead of looking to make a forward pass. Also his passes to Earl are for the most part to feet (ie behind the player) instead of slightly in front so Josh has to check his run to collect the ball and loses some momentum as a result.
Hope the new coaching regime will already be looking to implement the few tweaks which could make a big difference in the weeks / months ahead and instill more belief into the squad.
COYW!!

Josh at 6 4 “ and with his build is it not worth converting him to a left sided centre back ?? Might have dreamt this but didn’t he start off as a centre back as a youth ?? There is a player there for sure.

Josh at 6 4 “ and with his build is it now worth converting him to a left sided centre back ?? Might have dreamt this but didn’t he start off as a centre back as a youth ?? There is a player there for sure.
I’m sure that in the past he’s indicated that he prefers that position. I’m sure I also recall his dad intimating as much on here.

I still feel there’s a player in Josh but I agree he needs to up his game. What frustrates me more than anything is the amount of times he cuts inside (maybe through lack of confidence) then remembers he can’t play a killer ball with his right foot so resorts to safety first. Maybe the new training regime can work on it?