What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Journalist shot dead.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Absolutely heartbreaking to see a journalist killed doing her job - let's hope that there is a fully independent investigation into this.

Normally, such things tend to attract cover ups, but she was a US citizen and that might force some transparency.

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
The first tweet is interesting. Islamic tradition? Shireen was a Greek Orthodox Christian - Greek Orthodox funerals tend to take place quickly, between 24 and 48 hours after death.

Seriously? A day after death?

Do they never want to find out what killed their relative?

My ex Mrs was Greek Cypriot and Orthodox, but I wasn't with her long enough to know of a death!

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Seriously? A day after death?

Do they never want to find out what killed their relative?

My ex Mrs was Greek Cypriot and Orthodox, but I wasn't with her long enough to know of a death!
Have been to a few such funerals - they do tend to bury them quickly. Something to do with acceptance of death and beginning a new life - and, more pragmatically, I suspect it is a custom arising from living in a hot climate.

Mourning, on the other hand, does go on quite a bit longer.

I believe there was an autopsy - that's what the Greek press reported, anyway. How thorough it was is another question - I guess the answer will emerge over time.

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
Have been to a few such funerals - they do tend to bury them quickly. Something to do with acceptance of death and beginning a new life - and, more pragmatically, I suspect it is a custom arising from living in a hot climate.

Mourning, on the other hand, does go on quite a bit longer.

I believe there was an autopsy - that's what the Greek press reported, anyway. How thorough it was is another question - I guess the answer will emerge over time.

We're all creatures of environment! I'm going to start comparing high pressured situations to working in a Greek morgue!

I'm just shocked, I can't believe that all questions can be answered within 24 hours.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
We're all creatures of environment! I'm going to start comparing high pressured situations to working in a Greek morgue!

I'm just shocked, I can't believe that all questions can be answered within 24 hours.
That is true - the same reason I don't leave any dead animals lying around for too long before I bury them when it hits 40 degrees. Only takes a few hours for them to stink.

For me, some people questioning the speed of the autopsy are on the wrong track. I am not an expert in such things, but believe that they don't take too long - the poor lady was shot and it was all about recovering any fragments of the bullet. It's not as if you need to wait for toxicology tests, swabs, or anything like that.

The real answer lies in the ballistics etc. from the scene to see where the shots came from. Whether they can work that out, I do not know.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Saw a clip on the Greek news where a very brave young man, risking his own life, ushered Shireen's terrified colleague to safety before dragging Shireen away.

Whoever was responsible for the shooting was still taking potshots as he did so.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Trying to check it actually was from Al Jazeera but they are running a live feed so presume it was taken earlier and clipped

AJ do seem to back up it happened

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Trying to check it actually was from Al Jazeera but they are running a live feed so presume it was taken earlier and clipped

AJ do seem to back up it happened

CNN and a few other western sites are also reporting it:

OP
raefil

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
CNN and a few other western sites are also reporting it:

The BBC headline :(
FSpZUuUWAAA2B2W

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
The careful selection of what we're presented by our national broadcasters every evening is getting ever more stark. Ive never felt more manipulated.

Totally agree with this. But I've felt this way for a while now. I've turned to alternative information sources, but find myself more distrusting. I've genuinely no idea how to fathom the truth of a situation anymore without being directly involved in it.