What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Journalist shot dead.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Saw that and was going to share it - it is almost as if they are trying to forget about it and hoping it goes away.

I hope that the US maintains the pressure - Shireen was one of their citizens and they need to demand answers.

Journalists' organisations have been vocal about the deaths of journalists in Palestine for a long time - this one, with any luck, is too high profile for the Israelis to bat away.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
I thought someone said the family hadn't wanted the procession? "The truth" wasn't it?

But it was the truth, Jake. Surely the Israelis weren't being economical with the truth.

Last edited:

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron

Wonder if the Israeli police will be as quick with the batons during this march.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
The story is unravelling even further - and when the likes of CNN and Foreign Policy doubt the official narrative from the Israeli authorities, then there is likely something in it:

Non Paywall: https://archive.ph/YkeLy

And, the Israeli PR machine, as is too often the case, tries to throw antisemitism chaff into the fray - Haaretz and Israeli human rights groups are calling it out:

Hopefully, people are going to look more closely into such actions and stop the Israeli authorities thinking they can act with impunity.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron

Al Jazeera are referring Shireen's murder to the ICC, claiming it is a war crime. It will be part of a case questioning Israel's targeting of journalists. Although, I suspect, the Israelis will claim that the ICC has no authority and refuse to cooperate, as usual.

OP
raefil

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron

Al Jazeera are referring Shireen's murder to the ICC, claiming it is a war crime. It will be part of a case questioning Israel's targeting of journalists. Although, I suspect, the Israelis will claim that the ICC has no authority and refuse to cooperate, as usual.
Hang on, wasnt it the Palestinians that shot her?

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Its far from an isolated incident either, for Palestinian Journalists.

Yup - it is becoming a lengthy list. Shireen is one that they must not be allowed to brush under the carpet.

What bemuses me is the number of people who criticise Russia, Saudi Arabia, and other countries for killing journalists, but go strangely quiet when Israel kills them. Murder is murder, whoever does it, and it needs to be called out.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
A very interesting investigation by Al Haq and Forensic Architecture, who have produced a report suggesting that Shireen was deliberately targeted:

The family, along with the International Federation of Journalists and Palestinian human rights groups, are making a submission to the International Criminal Court based upon this evidence:

Really hope to start seeing some justice instead of the smoke and mirrors of the internal investigation. Sadly, the US and the EU are already trying to back down, as usual - suspect that the UK is following suit.

Many politicians, including US senators, are questioning them over this and, of course, journalists around the world are exceptionally pissed off that the Israelis killed one of their own - possibly in cold blood. Their targeting of journalists has to stop.

The Israeli government and security forces, of course, are trying to intimidate people into silence - it is what they do:

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
It was a crime, a murder by the Israelis, cover up that won't see the perpetrators punished, criminals with no accountability.
Correct - Israel is unlikley to go anywhere near a court of official investigation because that would air a lot of its dirty laundry when it comes to killing journalists. However, shooting Shireen was another level - she was a high profile journalist, well-liked by colleagues and contemporaries, and a US citizen. Imagine if the Taliban shot Lise Doucet, for example - that is the equivalent in journalistic circles. Even the likes of CNN are really going after the Israelis on this one - they crossed the line and pissed journalists off.

Important to keep this story going and keep it in the public awareness - that, I fear, is the only way we will see any accountability.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
I just dont get the hold that Israel has over the west?
Lobbying: Lobbying of influential people - not a controversial point and one that has been well covered in the media and academia. The literature tends to show that a lot of this is by independent groups rather than the Israeli state, but it does have an effect on policies and views.

Geopolitics: Its position in the East Med/Middle East mean that the west is keen to keep it as an ally and overlooks some of its transgressions. The EU Observer article noted that the EU may have backed off because it wants to source gas from Israel. Just like the west overlooking Saudi transgressions because of its control of oil. Israel has been very clever in the way it has built alliances with other countries.

Propaganda: In the media and on social media. They are very good at it, fund it heavily, and readily admit it. Some of the linguistic techniques they use, for example, are very subtle. They constantly seek to frame the narrative. I saw many iterations of this article after the shooting - it ticks every single propaganda box of whataboutery, ad hominem, and obfuscation:

History: A lot of people developed respect for Israel over the years, as a country and people that stood their ground. That means they overlook some of the modern state's transgressions.

Christian Right: Again, it is no secret that Israel enjoys a lot of support among US Evangelical Christians who have a strong influence on US politics, especially the Republicans.

That is the main reasons I can think of.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Yup - so it looks as if the UK will also close the case on Shireen in the same way as the US and EU. Nothing to see here - we can trust the Israeli authorities to conduct their own internal investigation...

Even though the UK is a member of the Media Freedom Coalition, which has condemned the killing:

Smoke and mirrors. Different when it happens in Iran, Russia, Myanmar, or a number of other countries, of course. They are condemned by the UK and others without reservation.

OP
raefil

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Lobbying: Lobbying of influential people - not a controversial point and one that has been well covered in the media and academia. The literature tends to show that a lot of this is by independent groups rather than the Israeli state, but it does have an effect on policies and views.

Geopolitics: Its position in the East Med/Middle East mean that the west is keen to keep it as an ally and overlooks some of its transgressions. The EU Observer article noted that the EU may have backed off because it wants to source gas from Israel. Just like the west overlooking Saudi transgressions because of its control of oil. Israel has been very clever in the way it has built alliances with other countries.

Propaganda: In the media and on social media. They are very good at it, fund it heavily, and readily admit it. Some of the linguistic techniques they use, for example, are very subtle. They constantly seek to frame the narrative. I saw many iterations of this article after the shooting - it ticks every single propaganda box of whataboutery, ad hominem, and obfuscation:

History: A lot of people developed respect for Israel over the years, as a country and people that stood their ground. That means they overlook some of the modern state's transgressions.

Christian Right: Again, it is no secret that Israel enjoys a lot of support among US Evangelical Christians who have a strong influence on US politics, especially the Republicans.

That is the main reasons I can think of.
The frightening thing is that even attempting to discuss it immediately brings accusations of antisemitism