What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Journalist shot dead.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
The frightening thing is that even attempting to discuss it immediately brings accusations of antisemitism
Sadly, that is too often true. This, reported by Haaretz, was an example:

And there were many others making the same claim - I liked this one, which also has the bonus of some hardcore whataboutery:

This one really digs deep into the well of emotive tropes:

Lurking in theseand other articles is the assumption that Israel is waging a brutal war against journalists. The fact that Israel consistently loses that war—that the killing of reporters covering the Israel-Palestine conflict only increases the media’s focus on it—only reenforces that assumption. For who but a cruel and rapacious people would murder not for gain but merely for the sake of vindictiveness? Like the age-old accusations that Jews kidnap Christian children and use their blood for obscene rituals, the charge that Israel deliberately killed Abu Akleh and other innocent correspondents reflects an image of Jews as demonic. The suppression of free speech by annihilating those who champion it thus joins the lengthening list of sins—colonialism, racism, apartheid, genocide—cited to erase Israel’s legitimacy.

Or, it could just be that people take offence at a nation state shooting a respected journalist, Mr Oren. Sounds a bit wacky, I know, but it does sometimes happen.

Judging by the sheer number of journalists speaking out against Shireen's shooting, I am not sure if this accusation is working any more - it is difficult to defend the indefensible. It has certainly tipped me over the edge and I no longer care what insults people come out with.

Snicky

Hasa Diga Eebowai
Patron
I just dont get the hold that Israel has over the west?
They have no hold over anyone, so that trope can get shoved up your arse.

Other countries stay friendly and support Israel probably because its the only functioning safe democracy surrounded in the area by a sea of violent religious fanaticism.

222Mark

Body Snatcher
Staff member
Patron
Other countries stay friendly and support Israel probably because its the only functioning safe democracy surrounded in the area by a sea of violent religious fafanaticism.
Or other countries play nice because Israel has the full on backing of the US of A.