PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Jury Service

MJB

Club President
I am required to fulfill my civic duty very soon.

How many of you lot have done it and what have been your experiences?

boring, a lot of time sitting round doing jack.

Ditto..Imprisoned for two weeks..Maybe it's changed...... I did help get a drug dealer off though ( the CID were cockier and dodgier than he was so a few of us dug in ).Perhaps thats why I was never invited back. :)

Interestingly, it's the only time in your life when you can legally go against the law....make the most of it if you get on a case.

I'm looking forward to it, even though its a ball ache being off work at the moment. I'm missing 2 Golf days...

I have heard varying stories from doing absolutely fuck all for 2 weeks to being involved in horrendous sickening cases and inquests. I'm hardy enough to stomach that I reckon but its just the unknown which is intriguing me.

I'm looking forward to it, even though its a ball ache being off work at the moment. I'm missing 2 Golf days...

I have heard varying stories from doing absolutely fuck all for 2 weeks to being involved in horrendous sickening cases and inquests. I'm hardy enough to stomach that I reckon but its just the unknown which is intriguing me.

What's the case?

Haven't got one, not started service yet. But don't worry, I'll be sure to tell you all the lovely details.......

I did jury service about 10 years ago. Sat around for four days doing bugger all then got on a stultifyinglh tedious theft case where it was clear from about an hour in that the bloke was not guilty.....lasted 2 days then got discharged which was handy.

Haven't got one, not started service yet. But don't worry, I'll be sure to tell you all the lovely details.......

Not unless you want banging up you won't........ If memory serves then you have to undertake an oath of gobshut ( certainly while the trial goes on )........ Maybe it's changed but I doubt it.. :)

It hasn't changed Libs, the post was missing the roll eyes smiley because the forum is a bag of shite.

Very disappointing experience. Having watched hundreds of TV shows in a court-room setting, when you get non-actors playing all the parts it is totally underwhelming.
What I would say, from my time on a jury, is that hunches trumped evidence and Friday was a wrapping up day where everybody just wants to get out of the place so verdicts can be reached quite quickly.

I got on a murder trial that lasted weeks. The lad got life.

Was great :)

I think it's brilliant. Once you get assigned a case. Take a good book / kindle / footy manager with you just in case. Don't eat in the court as you pocket at the end what you haven't spent from your allowance.

I did nothing for a day and half so went for a couple of lunchtime pints, the minute I got back I got called.

Also the days are pretty short, about 10-4 which is also a bonus!

Since this forum went really tits up you seem to be posting fine without complaining like you did before.Whats your secret?

Not sure, maybe down to the desktop, invested a fair bit in a decent machine, perhaps the Graphics Card is the key, can see all the faults but can navigate them.

Not unless you want banging up you won't........ If memory serves then you have to undertake an oath of gobshut ( certainly while the trial goes on )........ Maybe it's changed but I doubt it.. :)

And in this day and age with internet on phones and social media I'd be more careful than ever before. People have been done for discussing trials.

I've done it twice, first time sat around for to days bored to death, then got discharged, second time, we got a small case sent down a ruffian from the Shadsworth estate in Blackburn. I was the foreman and delivered the verdict.

I am required to fulfill my civic duty very soon.

How many of you lot have done it and what have been your experiences?

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience back in 1998, but as a few people have said, there is a lot of time sat around doing nothing !

I got on two interesting cases.

One was a grandfather accused of raping his granddaughter...... very distressing but compelling.