PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Keeping fit

Former Member

Football Expert
Patron
Anyone taken up a new found interesting in cycling / running during lockdown? I’ve always been very sporty but never a runner in particular.

Any 5K / 10K times to share?

I used to love running and proper miss it. Need to get my fat arse off the couch at some point.

By best 5k is 20.30min-ish and my best 10k is 46min. Fastest mile is 5.36 and marathon is 4hr17min. These were all done about 5 years ago though

Just walking for me, these days, though trying to trim and top a line of 22 conifer trees down the side of my house was pretty demanding the other day. Spent all day hopping across the top of them like a squirrel, got down, then, yes, you've guessed, my missus noted that I had 'missed a bit'. GRRRR.

I feel a bit boastful. In my younger days I ran and also did cycling time trials. I can still remember my PB's for most events I did.

10k, 38.42
10 miles, 62 mins
Half marathon, 1 hour 31 mins
Marathon, Never ran one

Cycling

10 miles TT, 23 mins 43 seconds
25 miles TT,1 hour and 37 seconds

In my day, early 1980s, doing a sub hour 25 miles on the bike, was a big achievement for a bog standard club cyclist like myself. One night in particular, no wind, perfect conditions, I thought I'd do it. I didn't, and being young, stupid and impetuous, I spat my dummy out and never cycled again.

If Ando can mention his Deepdale hat trick, then I can boast about some of my sporting ' achievements '. 😃

I used to love running and proper miss it. Need to get my fat arse off the couch at some point.

By best 5k is 20.30min-ish and my best 10k is 46min. Fastest mile is 5.36 and marathon is 4hr17min. These were all done about 5 years ago though

Impressive! I've always been a sprinter mainly - long(er) distances has never been my strong point, but my 5K PB is slowly improving down to 21:22 at the minute. Given I've got adductor tendinopathy and had double hernia surgery in December, I'm pretty happy.

Have you ever done a half marathon? Did a 15K in about 75 minutes last week (not the quickest, granted) but finished that thinking a half-marathon was more than achievable.

When the plastic pitch was at Deepdale there was a Preston 10 mile run that finished inside the Stadium. My time was 73 mins 8 secs.
Still run from time to time but nowadays my right knee in particular protests.
I walk on a daily basis which is important to me especially at the moment with the closure of gyms and swimming pools.
If I have a good walk in the morning it sets me up for a lockdown day.

Impressive! I've always been a sprinter mainly - long(er) distances has never been my strong point, but my 5K PB is slowly improving down to 21:22 at the minute. Given I've got adductor tendinopathy and had double hernia surgery in December, I'm pretty happy.

Have you ever done a half marathon? Did a 15K in about 75 minutes last week (not the quickest, granted) but finished that thinking a half-marathon was more than achievable.
No I've never done a half but when I did the marathon I hit the half in 1hr 50. Was on target for about 3.45 but pulled my hammy at 22 miles

I feel a bit boastful. In my younger days I ran and also did cycling time trials. I can still remember my PB's for most events I did.

10k, 38.42
10 miles, 62 mins
Marathon, Never ran one

Cycling

In my day, early 1980s, doing a sub hour 25 miles on the bike, was a big achievement for a bog standard club cyclist like myself. One night in particular, no wind, perfect conditions, I thought I'd do it. I didn't, and being young, stupid and impetuous, I spat my dummy out and never cycled again.

If Ando can mention his Deepdale hat trick, then I can boast about some of my sporting ' achievements '. 😃

Did Ando score a hat trick at Deepdale!? That’s the first I’ve heard of it. 🤣

10k, 38.42
10 miles, 62 mins
Marathon, Never ran one

Cycling

Some impressive running numbers there Janie.
I've never cycled but presume they're good as well.
I use to do a lot of running as part of my training program. Not big distances, usually 3-5 miles but occasionally longer.
One of the better routes was down London Road and turning left on to The Boulevard at the bottom.
Follow the path into Avenham Park and then left over the old Tram bridge , proceeding onto Factory Lane into Lower Penwortham.Forget the name of the roads after that but at some stage i"d go back over a bridge and onto Broadway and then either right back into the park or left to the bottom of Broadway and up onto Fishergate. Sometimes, rather than going up onto Fishergate, I'd carry on down to the bottom of Strand Road and back to the gym that way.
Use to often run through the park with some others but sometimes by myself. Thinking back, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do at certain times of the year when pitch black and no street lighting.
I use to see a few individuals just stood around. What they were doing there at that time in the dark is anyone's guess.🤔🙂
Still try and train now 2-3 times a week (pre lockdown) but running is a no no. The knees just can't stand the pounding from the road anymore.🏃‍♂️⏱

I once won the 50m sprint at Preston Cubs Sports Day back in 85 or 86.

since then I’ve let things slip a little and wouldn’t know if I can actually run 5k but I can cycle for a few hours without needing to wear Lycra. That said I’m doing jack all bar walking at present, just too lethargic

I once won the 50m sprint at Preston Cubs Sports Day back in 85 or 86.

since then I’ve let things slip a little and wouldn’t know if I can actually run 5k but I can cycle for a few hours without needing to wear Lycra. That said I’m doing jack all bar walking at present, just too lethargic

It’s almost just a habit for me now.

At the end of March, I did a 5K in around 24:30 minutes (first run since December surgery) and was absolutely blowing. Seemed like a long distance run.

I run around five or six times a week now. Even a few years ago when I was playing football six times a week I wasn’t as fit as I am now. Just done 17K today👍🏼 1hr 24

Last edited:
When the plastic pitch was at Deepdale there was a Preston 10 mile run that finished inside the Stadium. My time was 73 mins 8 secs.
Still run from time to time but nowadays my right knee in particular protests.
I walk on a daily basis which is important to me especially at the moment with the closure of gyms and swimming pools.
If I have a good walk in the morning it sets me up for a lockdown day.
I did that a couple of times. I think Steve Tunstall won it on both occasions. Unlike Ando, these were my only appearances on the Deepdale carpet, plus the Tranmere 1987 pitch invasion. I guess that's a hat trick of sorts. 😀

Last edited:
I did that a couple of times. I think Steve Tunstall won it on both occasions. Unlike Ando, these were my only appearances on the Deepdale carpet, plus the Tranmere 1987 pitch invasion. I guess that's a hat trick of sorts. 😀
On second thoughts, it might've been John Nuttall that won those races.

If anyone has put on weight, not run for a while, or maybe never really "run", swallow your pride and get the C25K (Couch to 5K) App... search for it. There's a version on NHS website. Piss easy to SAFELY get up to 5K in 9 weeks (assuming no major, undiagnosed medical conditions!)

It sounds a bit pedestrian to people (usually men!) who believe they're still as fit as when they played football five years ago, or once ran 10Ks etc but lots of people think they're better than they are... or are just over-enthusiastic... and build up to 5K far too quickly. All seems great until they pick up niggles or proper injuries, and the enthusiasm wains... and before they know it, the boring steady-eddy "tortoise" who took a structured approach is ahead of them, and building up their mileage having built a sound foundation. Just imagine you'd started that at the start of lockdown... you'd essentially be there, with body properly conditioned to start "ramping up" to longer distances... and once you're up to 4- 6 miles, you really start to notice that you're burning proper amounts of calories.

EDIT... here's the programme... https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/

Last edited:

10k, 38.42
10 miles, 62 mins
Marathon, Never ran one

Cycling

Excellent running janie!! You still running?

If anyone has put on weight, not run for a while, or maybe never really "run", swallow your pride and get the C25K (Couch to 5K) App... search for it. There's a version on NHS website. Piss easy to SAFELY get up to 5K in 9 weeks (assuming no major, undiagnosed medical conditions!)

It sounds a bit pedestrian to people (usually men!) who believe they're still as fit as when they played football five years ago, or once ran 10Ks etc but lots of people think they're better than they are... or are just over-enthusiastic... and build up to 5K far too quickly. All seems great until they pick up niggles or proper injuries, and the enthusiasm wains... and before they know it, the boring steady-eddy "tortoise" who took a structured approach is ahead of them, and building up their mileage having built a sound foundation. Just imagine you'd started that at the start of lockdown... you'd essentially be there, with body properly conditioned to start "ramping up" to longer distances... and once you're up to 4- 6 miles, you really start to notice that you're burning proper amounts of calories.

EDIT... here's the programme... https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
This has been my problem everytime I tried to get back into it. My ego hates that I am incapable of running the way I used to.

I've downloaded the app

This has been my problem everytime I tried to get back into it. My ego hates that I am incapable of running the way I used to.

I've downloaded the app

Im going to have the same problem when the gyms reopen, I dont want to work hard to lift weight that used to be easy.

The couch to 5k thing looks good, so Ive started it today. Also trying to break 13 seconds for 100 metres, which isnt particularly good but at 18 stone im not breaking world records anytime soon :ROFLMAO:

Also, outrageous that @kingpne has referred to himself as a sprinter

Im going to have the same problem when the gyms reopen, I dont want to work hard to lift weight that used to be easy.

The couch to 5k thing looks good, so Ive started it today. Also trying to break 13 seconds for 100 metres, which isnt particularly good but at 18 stone im not breaking world records anytime soon :ROFLMAO:

Also, outrageous that @kingpne has referred to himself as a sprinter

Yeah im gonna start couch to 5k today when I finish work

Yeah im gonna start couch to 5k today when I finish work

You realise it doesn't literally mean to sit on your couch yeah?

(I did it last year, it worked really well, but not as quickly as I did 5k to couch. Running just doesn't work for me, kills my back and my discs, need to sort them first)

You realise it doesn't literally mean to sit on your couch yeah?

(I did it last year, it worked really well, but not as quickly as I did 5k to couch. Running just doesn't work for me, kills my back and my discs, need to sort them first)
Haha I'm aware!! Before I met the smallest ones mother I looked like this....

Screenshot_20200511-132436_WhatsApp.jpg