PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Keeping fit

We’re in unprecedented times. Unique situation so the best time do give this a crack. You CAN build that cardio. Honestly, that C25K app (link earlier in the thread) has the power to surprise... go on... click on it, surprise yourself and shock your family and friends.

I'll have a look.

I've always been athletic and generally fit & healthy.

Did Thai boxing for years, always in the school athletics team, football, rugby, basketball.... and used to swim a lot.

But for some reason, when it comes to longer distance running, I conk out so quickly.

I'm more of an explosive athlete. Think Usain Bolt, rather than Moses Kiptanui

But yeah, I'll have a look at that App. My cardio is definitely something I would like to improve.

Only runs I'll be doing, are in my kegs. Anything more than 400m and I'm fucked. My cardio has always been unbelievably shite.

Don't know how you guys do it. Especially in this heat. More power to you 💪

I'll stick to working my glamour muscles ☺

I can relate. I just think "why am I not running, I'm physically capable", do it, then suffer later.

Hopefully soon as I can hit a consistent rhythm and somewhere where I don't have to stop constantly I'll pick up my times.

I can relate. I just think "why am I not running, I'm physically capable", do it, then suffer later.

Hopefully soon as I can hit a consistent rhythm and somewhere where I don't have to stop constantly I'll pick up my times.

Yeah, that's the biggie for me, having somewhere comfortable where I know I can practice without anyone seeing me puffing and panting after 300m, and stopping and starting constantly. 😆

I'm seriously considering buying a decent treadmill for the garage.

But for some reason, when it comes to longer distance running, I conk out so quickly.

I'm more of an explosive athlete. Think Usain Bolt, rather than Moses Kiptanui

Is there something you want to get off your chest pal??

I can’t help but think that these are metaphors for another erm, problem🤔😂😂

Yeah, that's the biggie for me, having somewhere comfortable where I know I can practice without anyone seeing me puffing and panting after 300m, and stopping and starting constantly. 😆

I'm seriously considering buying a decent treadmill for the garage.
Don't worry about what others think , you would probably be surprised that they are not even thinking about you. Start off slower just faster than a walk then build up over time 300m will become 4 then five . Its amazing how the body adapts when we get fitter and fitter don't compare yourself to others just improve gradually on yourself.

Its a Marathon not a sprint take your time.

First run at least 10-12 years today.
Never enjoyed running as previously mentioned in this thread but one of my lads runs quite a lot as part of his training. On his way out the door, for some reason I said I'd go with him.
"I'm just doing a quick couple of miles today so you'll be ok" he said.
Well, he was right. It was a quick couple of miles....for him.
Had to stop a couple of times, the first after about a mile and the second probably within a quarter mile from home.
I didn't realise just how tough it was going to be over a distance I use to be able to do on my sleep.
Anyway, I'm going to do the same route Tuesday and try and stop just once and then again Friday to see if i can stay the distance.
After that it's how quickly i can get the times down. At least that's the plan.
I might not feel as keen come Tuesday.😄

First run at least 10-12 years today.
Never enjoyed running as previously mentioned in this thread but one of my lads runs quite a lot as part of his training. On his way out the door, for some reason I said I'd go with him.
"I'm just doing a quick couple of miles today so you'll be ok" he said.
Well, he was right. It was a quick couple of miles....for him.
Had to stop a couple of times, the first after about a mile and the second probably within a quarter mile from home.
I didn't realise just how tough it was going to be over a distance I use to be able to do on my sleep.
Anyway, I'm going to do the same route Tuesday and try and stop just once and then again Friday to see if i can stay the distance.
After that it's how quickly i can get the times down. At least that's the plan.
I might not feel as keen come Tuesday.😄
Every credit. Start with my 3rd week runs tomorrow and I am dreading it!!! Its a big jump from week 2

Every credit. Start with my 3rd week runs tomorrow and I am dreading it!!! Its a big jump from week 2
I reckon you've got over the biggest hurdle if you're still up for it going into your third week.
If I can stick with it over the next week or so, hopefully I'll be ok.
My main concern are the knees which started to play up after about half a mile so will have to see how they stand up.

I reckon you've got over the biggest hurdle if you're still up for it going into your third week.
If I can stick with it over the next week or so, hopefully I'll be ok.
My main concern are the knees which started to play up after about half a mile so will have to see how they stand up.
I was the same with my knees when I started running last year, I found as the strength built up in my legs the pain eventually disappeared, I get a bit of pain now and again towards the end of a 10k but I find if I try to speed up and open my stride a bit the pain goes away.

I also find a couple of ibuprofen before a run helps.

Last edited: