Kim Jong Un

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
John T was pulled up by one or two of the more vocal members of this forum and called Racist for using the word "Chinky" just a few weeks ago. I'm just wondering if what he said was any worse than all the the Oriental variation of Joke names being bandied about above.

Guinness

Forum Patron
Patron
If he is dead this is the perfect time for the people to stand up to the bollocks they've had to live under whilst his sister and generals fight it out to become the new dictator. I hope they do, imagine having to live in a place like that under those pricks.

Personally I think hes still alive and just hiding away because of covid 19.

MrHodgeheg123

Advisor to the Owner
John T was pulled up by one or two of the more vocal members of this forum and called Racist for using the word "Chinky" just a few weeks ago. I'm just wondering if what he said was any worse than all the the Oriental variation of Joke names being bandied about above.
People are very quickly offended.
Any worse than Yank, Frog, Jap, Ozzy, Argy???
"Chinky" isn't a phrase I'd use on here but I'm not going to lambast anyone who does.

MrHodgeheg123

Advisor to the Owner
If he is dead this is the perfect time for the people to stand up to the bollocks they've had to live under whilst his sister and generals fight it out to become the new dictator. I hope they do, imagine having to live in a place like that under those pricks.

Personally, I think if there was nothing wrong then the authorities would have come out and said so and/or he'd have put in an appearance.

Bobbage

Advisor to the Owner
People are very quickly offended.
Any worse than Yank, Frog, Jap, Ozzy, Argy???
"Chinky" isn't a phrase I'd use on here but I'm not going to lambast anyone who does.
The one thing that really gets me, is that Pak is a term proudly used as a national sign of identity (as is Brit, for example) but God or whoever forbid someone who adds an "i" on the end of that term of endearment, because THAT is then racist...

northender1881

Advisor to the Owner

Not to mention all the folk imprisoned in concentration camps.

If ever you want an utterly harrowing book to read I would suggest 'Escape From Camp 14'.

Joanpne

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm not offended by either. I was just offering a thought.
Me neither, I grew up with those words and most just associated them with ethnic origins. I knew when Aussies we’re talking about us they said pommies and the yanks called us limies, those words didn’t offend me either I knew they meant British.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Me neither, I grew up with those words and most just associated them with ethnic origins. I knew when Aussies we’re talking about us they said pommies and the yanks called us limies, those words didn’t offend me either I knew they meant British.
A little like myself but...........................

I bet you, like myself, dont use those words now, either.

chinky was one I used a lot, at one time, but now never do.

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron
With each phrase comes its own history and as such the knowledge of if it is societally acceptable to use. That's not for us to decide, of course, it's up to each ethnic group.

When you think about the slave trade and how certain words were used to dehumanise different ethnic groups similar history applies to other groups. Think of how Tottenham have come under fire in the past for anti-semitism.

So dependent on the context and history of each word you had all aforementioned, determines whether it is acceptable to use. One rule for one is not the rule for another.

Joanpne

Forum Patron
Patron

Being very honest, you are right I don’t. I don’t honestly know why either because there was never any malice or racism intended when I did say them.

giro

Manager
Only just spotted this.

Henry, I think your making wei tu much of this!

How high is a Chinaman.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
I still say Jocks, Taffys, Aussies, Argies, Gerrys , Japs, Froggies, Ities etc but I darent say the P word because it is assumed I am being racist......

times have changed and I guess we shouldn’t use any of the afore-mentioned terms......

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron

You've revealed a chink in your armour.