PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lampard vs Gerrard

KeithLard

Patron
They've both retired from international football now, and both been fantastic servants for club and country...but who has actually been the better player.

The media have a love-in with Gerrard, and locally the numerous Plastic Scousers mean Gerrard also gets more of the vote as they all love him, but personally for me, it has to be Lampard.

The statistics alone say it all,

Lampard at Chelsea - 429 games, 147 goals
Gerrard at Liverpool - 479 games, 112 goals

Titles:

Lampard

3 Premier League (2005, 2006, 2010)
4 FA Cup (2007, 2009, 2010, 2012)
2 League Cup (2005, 2007)
1 Champions League (2012)
1 Europa League (2013)

Gerrard

2 FA Cup (2001, 2006)
3 League Cup (2001, 2003, 2012)
1 Champions League (2005)
1 Uefa Cup (2001)

You could say stuff about how Chelsea had more great players etc, and say Gerrard "led" Liverpool to glory - and he did in the 2005 CL Final and also the 2006 FA Cup - but Gerrard has continually bottled it in the Premier League, like last season for instance.

Lampard on the other hand has been an integral part of Chelsea for 13 years, he played almost every game in 2005, 2006 and 2010, and scored important goals in FA Cup finals and also played a massive part in them winning the CL in 2012, such as his pass in the Semi-Final vs Barcelona.

The difference is I see that Gerrard gets the favouritism for some reason, his glory balls (which often fail) are lauded as amazing, which Lampard does things simpler - but more effectively - he scores more goals and always has that knack of being in the right place at the right time. His goalscoring record for a midfielder is incredible, and at two-years older than Gerrard - he has carried that on at Manchester City this season.

For England, Gerrard was always favoured more. But I feel we missed a trick by playing them both, and while everyone favoured Gerrard - I think we should have played Lampard every day of the week, and especially at the 2014 World Cup.

What does everybody think? :)

They've both retired from international football now, and both been fantastic servants for club and country...but who has actually been the better player.

The media have a love-in with Gerrard, and locally the numerous Plastic Scousers mean Gerrard also gets more of the vote as they all love him, but personally for me, it has to be Lampard.

The statistics alone say it all,

Lampard at Chelsea - 429 games, 147 goals
Gerrard at Liverpool - 479 games, 112 goals

Titles:

Lampard

3 Premier League (2005, 2006, 2010)
4 FA Cup (2007, 2009, 2010, 2012)
2 League Cup (2005, 2007)
1 Champions League (2012)
1 Europa League (2013)

Gerrard

2 FA Cup (2001, 2006)
3 League Cup (2001, 2003, 2012)
1 Champions League (2005)
1 Uefa Cup (2001)

You could say stuff about how Chelsea had more great players etc, and say Gerrard "led" Liverpool to glory - and he did in the 2005 CL Final and also the 2006 FA Cup - but Gerrard has continually bottled it in the Premier League, like last season for instance.

Lampard on the other hand has been an integral part of Chelsea for 13 years, he played almost every game in 2005, 2006 and 2010, and scored important goals in FA Cup finals and also played a massive part in them winning the CL in 2012, such as his pass in the Semi-Final vs Barcelona.

The difference is I see that Gerrard gets the favouritism for some reason, his glory balls (which often fail) are lauded as amazing, which Lampard does things simpler - but more effectively - he scores more goals and always has that knack of being in the right place at the right time. His goalscoring record for a midfielder is incredible, and at two-years older than Gerrard - he has carried that on at Manchester City this season.

For England, Gerrard was always favoured more. But I feel we missed a trick by playing them both, and while everyone favoured Gerrard - I think we should have played Lampard every day of the week, and especially at the 2014 World Cup.

What does everybody think? :)

Lampard is better, though neither are/were as good as Scholes who retired too early IMO.

Lampard is the better player in my opinion.

It's actually a shame he'll be moving to the MLS next year, he could still do a job for Chelsea or even City too for the remainder of the season.

Without a shadow of a doubt Lampard, a man that is unassuming and humble, not a bad word said about him off the pitch and a fantastic footballer on it. He doesn't appear interested with the "oh look at me, I am captain fantastic Stevie G" Never let his country down unlike Gerrard has and from what I gather without knowing the guy appears to be a fantastic role model for kids.

Without a shadow of a doubt Lampard, a man that is unassuming and humble, not a bad word said about him off the pitch and a fantastic footballer on it. He doesn't appear interested with the "oh look at me, I am captain fantastic Stevie G" Never let his country down unlike Gerrard has and from what I gather without knowing the guy appears to be a fantastic role model for kids.

Wasn't Lampard involved in some scandal regards 9/11 with John Terry?

I prefer Lampard over Gerrard. Not sure either has been a great servant for their country though as most of the international football for their generation has been shite.

For me it has to be Gerrard. Lampard is more of a finisher bur Gerrard's passing, crossing and set pieces are much better. Gerrard is also more of a leader. Lampard has played in a better team over the years and that is why he has more honours.

I prefer Lampard over Gerrard. Not sure either has been a great servant for their country though as most of the international football for their generation has been shite.

He was, he was in the party of Chelsea players drunk in a hotel with Americans. They mocked the Americans apparently and stripped and vomited in front of them.

To be honest, I went off him after that but it was one incident (albeit a hideous one) as a young man and he has expressed regret over it since he signed for the New York club.

I'd have to say Gerrard. Both have been poor overall for their country, and should have been removed and allowed Scholes to flourish more.
But at club level, I thin Gerrard edges it because of his capability of directly affecting big games. His performance in the European cup final that they won was nothing short of astonishing.
Lampard was always capable of scoring big goals and his influence did have dramatic effect on teams performances, but if I placed him in the same Liverpool teams that Gerrard has had to endure over the last decade I don't think he would have had the same impact. Gerrard in the Chelsea teams would have been as good if not better than Lampard.

But the main point is that they have both been shite for England, complete underperformance which highlights the fact that in world terms their standing is propped up heavily by the foreign players that they enjoy playing alongside for their clubs

So, in short, both are shithouses.

For me it has to be Gerrard. Lampard is more of a finisher bur Gerrard's passing, crossing and set pieces are much better. Gerrard is also more of a leader. Lampard has played in a better team over the years and that is why he has more honours.

Gerrards passing? 1 in 4 40 yard Hollywood passes making there target.

That turned out to be a load of over sensitive yanks nobber, they took the piss out of some Americans after 9/11 but didn't actually say anything about 9/11.

Gerrards passing? 1 in 4 40 yard Hollywood passes making there target.

Precisely Nobber.

Liverpool fans and MOTD highlights ignore all Gerrards failed 40 yard passes, of which there are many!

Sadly for England it was all too obvious, like in the 93rd minute against Uruguay, when he tried one and it sailed out of play.

Lampard does things simpler, but more effectively if you ask me.

A lot of "Liverpool" antipathy on here. Both have been good players neither could be bracketed in the "Greatest,"players categories.

I agree with others comments about Paul Scholes.

Gerrard only the basis he carried Liverpool for most of his career. There is obviously an "i hate scousers" lobby on this forum. Zinedine Zidane called him the best player in the world in 2009 and he won world club player of the year in 2005. Lampard was superb but in a better team.
On the subject of Scholes, why was he better than both?
He played in a better team than both, had a poorer games to goal ratio, couldn't tackle and had the 3rd worst bookings tally in the Prem and is the most booked player in Champions league history.
Before the Mancs on the forum come out having a go, I don't dislike Scholes and think he was a fantastic player but better than SG and FL? No.

Gerrard only the basis he carried Liverpool for most of his career. There is obviously an "i hate scousers" lobby on this forum. Zinedine Zidane called him the best player in the world in 2009 and he won world club player of the year in 2005. Lampard was superb but in a better team.
On the subject of Scholes, why was he better than both?
He played in a better team than both, had a poorer games to goal ratio, couldn't tackle and had the 3rd worst bookings tally in the Prem and is the most booked player in Champions league history.
Before the Mancs on the forum come out having a go, I don't dislike Scholes and think he was a fantastic player but better than SG and FL? No.

Spoken like a true Kopite.

I did state in my post there was no need for the Mancs to come out and have a go at my statement. I'm not surprised though.

I'll be honest Hedgehog - if you think Gerrard is/was a better player than Scholes then you either know nothing about football or you support The Vermin

You do the math.