PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lancashire Cricket 2021

Indeed, a great side, especially in the one day format. Nowadays, the purists would turn their nose up at the long tail, well, 9,10,11 and Big Jack's lack of mobility when fielding.
Three years later i went to watch Lanky in the semi against Gloucester and Bob Ratcliffe was batting at 9 and he could bat a bit.... in fact Ratliffe and Simmons saw us home with 3 balls to spare..

I assume that Lee or Shuttleworth missed out

Edit : Shuttleworth did not play...

Last edited:
Three years later i went to watch Lanky in the semi against Gloucester and Bob Ratcliffe was batting at 9 and he could bat a bit.... in fact Ratliffe and Simmons saw us home with 3 balls to spare..

I assume that Lee or Shuttleworth missed out

Edit : Shuttleworth did not play...
You sound like me - I can’t remember what I had for tea last week but ask me about any game in the 80s (football or cricket) and I can give you chapter and verse!

You sound like me - I can’t remember what I had for tea last week but ask me about any game in the 80s (football or cricket) and I can give you chapter and verse!
It was a great day out.... I was 15 and my Dad woke me up about 8-30am and asked me if fancied going to the game against Gloucester.

We sat in the Wilson Stand - It felt like we got the last seats in the ground......... It was heaving.

Farook was so chilled out in the dressing room as the game came to a conclusion - he strolled around with a towel around his neck...
Meanwhile, big Clive who always normally looked relaxed, was stressing out... I watched all this through my Dads Binoculars !!!

Last edited:
What a great side that 1972 side was - i can rhyme it off without having to check any google searches :

Wood
Lloyd
Pilling
Lloyd ( CH )
Hayes
Engineer
Hughes
Simmons
Lee
Lever
Shuttleworth

You can also throw Ken Snellgrove and John Sullivan into the mix as fringe players....

That's the first line-up I remember - except Ken Shuttleworth. I remember watching all the others and can picture them clearly... but have no mental picture of him.

The first live game that i went to as a 12 year old Lancashire Fan was Lancashire v Kent in the 1972 Gillette cup semi final...

The game was rain interrupted and Kent had to come back the following day needing 48 to win off 12 overs with about 6 wickets left..... they didnt make it !!

How times have changed...............
I was listening to Bumble during the England game and they were discussing the first one day tournaments which were 65 overs a side. It was before my time, 60 over was my first recollection, indeed Bumble said it was just before his time. The average score in 65 over cricket was 208. Can you imagine, that would be an average run rate in test matches these days.

I was listening to Bumble during the England game and they were discussing the first one day tournaments which were 65 overs a side. It was before my time, 60 over was my first recollection, indeed Bumble said it was just before his time. The average score in 65 over cricket was 208. Can you imagine, that would be an average run rate in test matches these days.
I remember them talking about that and Ian Ward made the comment that most teams aim for that score in T20's now! I wasn't a fan of T20 initially, but the change in batting mentality since it was introduced has definitely benefitted the sport.

That's the first line-up I remember - except Ken Shuttleworth. I remember watching all the others and can picture them clearly... but have no mental picture of him.
Tall, swept back dark hair - a good quickie ( in those days )

Was interested to see Michael Atherton’s 18yr-old son, Josh de Caires, scored an unbeaten ton against Yorkshire while playing for Leeds-Bradford Universities. Less interested when I saw that he’s been going through the Middlesex academy!

Was interested to see Michael Atherton’s 18yr-old son, Josh de Caires, scored an unbeaten ton against Yorkshire while playing for Leeds-Bradford Universities. Less interested when I saw that he’s been going through the Middlesex academy!
Yeah I heard Athers mention that on commentary, He seems to be a real prospect, disappointing he didn't sign for Lancs.

Ton for Alex Davies in the latest friendly. Matt Critchley at Derbyshire is one we missed out on, he's a Preston lad. His career has stalled a little bit but I read an article from Stuart MacGill last year who had worked with Critchley, Parky & Crane and reckons Critchley will be the one most likely to have an international career

Atherton lives down there, which presumably had a bearing on his county. Interesting that he chose to use his mother’s maiden name to take some of the pressure of his dad’s surname off him. Having said that, her grandfather played for the West Indies so good cricketing genes!

Yeah I heard Athers mention that on commentary, He seems to be a real prospect, disappointing he didn't sign for Lancs.

Ton for Alex Davies in the latest friendly. Matt Critchley at Derbyshire is one we missed out on, he's a Preston lad. His career has stalled a little bit but I read an article from Stuart MacGill last year who had worked with Critchley, Parky & Crane and reckons Critchley will be the one most likely to have an international career
Critchley is a good fielder and batsman as well - something England will be interested in. He’s better than Bess in my opinion.

I’d suggest we’ve had the better of all 5 days of cricket we’ve played so far. I don’t think Luke Wells has played a part yet and we’ve got Jackson Bird to come, all looking good so far.

I’d suggest we’ve had the better of all 5 days of cricket we’ve played so far. I don’t think Luke Wells has played a part yet and we’ve got Jackson Bird to come, all looking good so far.
I'd agree, all the young quickies have had some success so far. We really need a couple to become consistent this season. I think Bailey has done enough over the past couple of years, so we need one of Saqib, Wood, Hurt or Lamb to have a real breakthrough season in the longer form. Noticed Moulton took 2-5 but probably a little early for him. Another player listed as born in Preston. (although I thought he was a Chorley lad). Preston is becoming a bit of a hot bed for cricketers.

Same for the batsmen, need one of Jones, Bohannon and Balderson to become more consistent.

Who do we think may have a breakthrough season?

Geoff Miller.
Apart from him, which other spinners have prospered at the Dustbowls of Derby?!
Are we allowed overseas cricketers, if so then Venkat, a cricketer I was intrigued with mainly because of his long name. Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan, all the commentators called him Venkat bar Benaud who would generally give him his full name. The lesser of India's fab four of spin bowlers around that time, behind Bedi, Prasanna and Chandra.

It was around that time, early to mid seventies I fell in love with the game. I would have done exceptionally badly at school if there was as much TV coverage then as there is now :ROFLMAO:

I'd agree, all the young quickies have had some success so far. We really need a couple to become consistent this season. I think Bailey has done enough over the past couple of years, so we need one of Saqib, Wood, Hurt or Lamb to have a real breakthrough season in the longer form. Noticed Moulton took 2-5 but probably a little early for him. Another player listed as born in Preston. (although I thought he was a Chorley lad). Preston is becoming a bit of a hot bed for cricketers.

Same for the batsmen, need one of Jones, Bohannon and Balderson to become more consistent.

Who do we think may have a breakthrough season?
Mahmood, Bailey and Bird will be the fulcrum of our attack for the first half of the season - although Bird only arrives for the third game. Wood will presumably be the fourth seamer but someone will have the chance for the first two matches because Bohannon will also contribute to the bowling. I‘ve always thought Lamb had the capability of playing regularly in first class cricket but a combination of injuries and our bowling strength hasn’t given him an awful lot of chances.

Balderson is interesting, he has the physique and looks like he can contribute with bat, ball and in the field. Sometimes all a young player needs is a chance and in those first two matches, in Spring, looking like under cloudy skies and in relatively damp conditions it’s an ideal opportunity for somebody.

Just watched Finn Allen hit 50 of 18 balls against Bangladesh, equal fastest in NZ history. He hit's the ball hard, all be it he's had a charmed life. Will be good at the top of the order for Lancs