PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lancashire Cricket Ground - Farington

He's tagged 2 of the most odious tory councillors in his tweet

I’m not calling him a liar but I find it so hard to believe that neither Lancashire County Council nor Lancashire County Cricket Club would not have contacted or consulted with South Ribble Borough Council before releasing the plans to the public.

I can see Farington Parish Council being left out of the picture at this stage but I’d be blown away if there was no contact at all with South Ribble.

Hoping it’s just the councillor seeing his arse because he was last to know and not the opinion of the borough as a whole.

To be fair, its pretty poor form not to communicate with other affected councils before going public, if that is indeed the case.

And when you exclude people from processes that is the sort of response you get

There is little cause for real objection though and I suspect most residents when they think about it will be on board.

The reality is most county championship games are attended by just a few hundred of us diehards. I suspect there are more players than spectators at the women's games.

The 5000 would only be if they got a T20 game which is only going to happen once or twice maximum a year. And cricket fans are generally a far more civilised bunch than, dare I say, football fans.

It is only a short dash to the motorway but it will be important to ensure there is adequate car parking. I believe the train will prove a popular form of transport too.

As others have mentioned , the longer term alternatives for this site are more houses or an extension of the motorway. A gentile cricket ground is a no brainer and will be fabulous for the profile of the area.

I’m not calling him a liar but I find it so hard to believe that neither Lancashire County Council nor Lancashire County Cricket Club would not have contacted or consulted with South Ribble Borough Council before releasing the plans to the public.

I can see Farington Parish Council being left out of the picture at this stage but I’d be blown away if there was no contact at all with South Ribble.

Hoping it’s just the councillor seeing his arse because he was last to know and not the opinion of the borough as a whole.
Knowing those involved both at Borough and County level they weren't consulted but informed on the day of the press release, obviously two sides have a different opinion on the rights of that. The application itself is controversial as County only have powers to self determine on certain applications, sports is for the borough to decide, potentially a court case in the future.

This is why we can’t have anything nice around here.

Councillor’s egos have been bruised because they weren’t consulted first.

No issues flinging houses up on an already busy Wheelton Lane or building numerous estates on green space in Farington Moss by the tank.

View attachment 5356
There aren't even any residents around there. Bunch of tosspots, chorley planning committee just the same. They are only interested in residents housing prices. Short sighted beyond belief.

There aren't even any residents around there. Bunch of tosspots, chorley planning committee just the same. They are only interested in residents housing prices. Short sighted beyond belief.
The Post ran a strong piece earlier this month talking about local residents being adversely affected - there are 6 properties on the Woodcock Estate, all worth a small fortune and presumably the owners will be very vocal (as would I to be fair if I was one).

Interesting author.

The Post ran a strong piece earlier this month talking about local residents being adversely affected - there are 6 properties on the Woodcock Estate, all worth a small fortune and presumably the owners will be very vocal (as would I to be fair if I was one).

Interesting author.

What a strange stance to take, you’d think the local rag would be supportive of something like this coming to the area.

The headline is so misleading, I’ve no doubt the six residents of the Woodcock Estate are against it but the vast majority of Farington residents I speak to are overwhelmingly in favour.

If I lived on the Woodcock Estate I’d be buzzing for this.

Yes ok, when it is in use, there will be some noise, etc, more traffic.

BUT!

That land for a going to get built on sooner or later and the chances are that it would just be yet another housing estate, where the Woodcock residents will have three story houses right up to their boundary, as well as all of the traffic and noise from such an estate relentlessly!

Give me a Cricket facility which wouldn’t overlook my property and would only be in use for a relatively small amount of time across the course of a year any day over having a load of houses.

BUT!

That land for a going to get built on sooner or later and the chances are that it would just be yet another housing estate, where the Woodcock residents will have three story houses right up to their boundary, as well as all of the traffic and noise from such an estate relentlessly!

Give me a Cricket facility which wouldn’t overlook my property and would only be in use for a relatively small amount of time across the course of a year any day over having a load of houses.
You’re absolutely right. It would either be a housing estate or an extension to the proposed Cuerden site across the road, retail or industrial units.

This proposal looks like the least dominating, kind to the existing environment facility they could possibly hope for and as you mention it would only be busy a few times a year.

BUT!

Fair points, but given this is green belt land, it's less likely (though not impossible) that a major housing development would be allowed, whereas building a facility for outdoor sport wouldn't necessarily be considered inappropriate.

Not quite as exciting as the IKEA once planned for this site but it's still quite a development for the Cuerden site.

Mixed use of residential, commercial and industrial. Plans for food outlets and a car showroom as well as office space and warehouse units.

Be interesting to see how this ties in with the Lancashire Cricket Ground across the way on Stanifield Lane. I would think Stanifield Lane would need significant improvements to handle access to both although looking at the below image the primary access for Cuerden would be from the M65 terminus and Wigan Road.

Also worth noting is that the greenbelt between Lostock Hall/Bamber Bridge and Leyland is almost disappearing. With these developments, the new units planned for Lancashire Business Park and the housing developments at Farington Moss, Preston and Leyland are quickly merging and becoming a single urban area.

Surely it would make sense for Preston City and South Ribble Borough to merge at some point, given the already strong links between the two and the fact they're almost becoming one.

https://lancashirecentral.co.uk/#home

1649337108583.png