Lancashire Evening Post (Johnston Press) Enters Admin (Merged)

buckshawwhite

First Team
Bazooka Joe;n3403304 said:
Had not noticed until today it has Man U and Liverpool in the football section.
A wise move by the LEP. Widen its potential reader bases to more than half of the Preston area that "support" those teams. There once was a time when I couldn't wait for lunch time to pop out and buy the LEP.. PNE news, the property section, Jobs etc. But the world has moved on. I do appreciate that the LEP is still valued by many &hope it continues. They need to sort out their website though

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
There's probably room for the LEP, but they were slow to do anything recently about getting a training ground update and it took Blog Preston to go and do a report but they seemed to wake up to it. I do use though it as it does a good job of summarising the press conferences from Deepdale.

I don't seem to get many pop ups when I go on, just the odd one about taking part in a survey which you can choose to close.

It's not easy though, especially when Grayson left who was a good source to the LEP. No idea if Neil is the same or not but of course there's time required to build up the respective trust.

sedgwick__7

First Team
Tino;n3403803 said:
There's probably room for the LEP, but they were slow to do anything recently about getting a training ground update and it took Blog Preston to go and do a report but they seemed to wake up to it. I do use though it as it does a good job of summarising the press conferences from Deepdale.

I don't seem to get many pop ups when I go on, just the odd one about taking part in a survey which you can choose to close.

It's not easy though, especially when Grayson left who was a good source to the LEP. No idea if Neil is the same or not but of course there's time required to build up the respective trust.
They don't seem to produce proper, traditional reporting in terms of reporting much that is new, and produce very little, if nothing, that is critical of the club. They tend to 'look into reports' elsewhere on transfers then ask the club for a yes or a no on the rumours.

That is probably more down to the club though than the LEP. The local press are certainly in their pocket and seem to be more of an unofficial spokesperson rather than reporting and analysing on goings-on at the club.

Agree though it's useful to read the transcripts of the press conferences and etc.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
sedgwick__7;n3403847 said:
They don't seem to produce proper, traditional reporting in terms of reporting much that is new, and produce very little, if nothing, that is critical of the club. They tend to 'look into reports' elsewhere on transfers then ask the club for a yes or a no on the rumours.

That is probably more down to the club though than the LEP. The local press are certainly in their pocket and seem to be more of an unofficial spokesperson rather than reporting and analysing on goings-on at the club.

Agree though it's useful to read the transcripts of the press conferences and etc.

In fairness, in this day and age of media news the club holds all the cards. If it weren't for their cooperation with PNE ( and other regional clubs in Johnsons circulation) then they'd have probably gone to the wall a long time ago because many still only buy it for the North End/local clubs news.... Sad to say but they have to write what the club tells them ( or allows them ) to write....

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Although pleased the LEP will continue. But "Johnston Press" goes into administration... and within hours, it is bought by JPIMedia... with £135 million less debt. According to the FT, questions are being asked whether the administrators really tried hard to find better buyers for the assets.

And guess what... Johnston Press was due to make a contribution to it's Pension Fund, 48hrs before pulling the plug. Not only does that not happen... but the pension has over a hundred million deficit... and the new company just walks away from it.

beagleman

Reserve
It was a stalwart of every household in the past, births deaths marriages birthdays etc, post reader service holidays, used to be huge paper, my sack bulged as a child... Delivering them... Noticed it went off when it was in the newsagents at 10 am, not evening that. Needs a bit of a retro overhaul in my opinion, stick to Lancashire news and issues.

sedgwick__7;n3403847 said:

It just seems to report news and offer little opinion of its own ,especially on PNE matters. It's probably loaded with people who did media studies at university ,like other rags. A quality journalist needs to have character and balls about him ,there seems to be few of these type about and the gravy slurper has now become the norm.
Think it would be best if it became a free paper like "the citizen " was.
The quality of journalism on offer doesn't deserve to be paid.
Will stick to reading and putting it back in Morrisons and Tescos.

sedgwick__7

First Team
PNEroulette;n3404036 said:
It just seems to report news and offer little opinion of its own ,especially on PNE matters. It's probably loaded with people who did media studies at university ,like other rags. A quality journalist needs to have character and balls about him ,there seems to be few of these type about and the gravy slurper has now become the norm.
Think it would be best if it became a free paper like "the citizen " was.
The quality of journalism on offer doesn't deserve to be paid.
Will stick to reading and putting it back in Morrisons and Tescos.
As Libs has said, a lot of it is down to the climate nowadays and how the club deal with/use the local press.

Reading quite boring stuff with no opinion one way or the other isn't really my 'cup of tea' though. I'd rather read critical analysis and opinion on goings-on at the club, player performances, recruitment and etc. but it's just the facts then the official club line or whatever.

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
PNEESSEX;n3403217 said:
Like so many local newspapers it's probably had it's day. The website is hopeless and that's my only access to it. Consequently, i rarely bother with it
I had the Post delivered for 45 years but cancelled it last year as I wasn't reading it much apart from the football and most of that I'd already read on here or on Twitter etc. I subscribed to the tablet app at £3.99 pm for a while but got fed up with how long it took for the paper to load sometimes so I've now stopped that and now rely on the daily email with 'highlights' and what I read on Twitter.