PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Leccy Cars

In addition to making cars Tesla is becoming more involved with grid battery storage..

In Australia they installed a battery back up system saving the building of new power stations.. solar panels on peoples homes power up the batteries when it isn't needed and the battery system tops up the grid during peak demand. Apparently it has been very successful, was installed in 100 days from contract signing and has reduced power outages... and saved billions of Aussie dollars for new power stations.

Elon Musk famously offered to have it installed within 100 days or it was free.
And that really is the key - crack the energy storage problem and the use of fossil fuels will decline rapidly. A lot of other storage solutions are being tested, too - molten sodium batteries, flywheels, water pumping/gravity storage, thermal storage.

IMO, this is a leap that will be as important to humanity as the internet - and we are not far off.

Well IMO this is the one big ‘clanger’ Boris is likely to drop if he is not very careful

It will take the bottom’ out of both the New and Second hand Car markets

Electric cars will never catch on with the general public until the price comes down dramatically, the range (mileage) improves and Charging points become more common

Boris (in effect) taking peoples cars off them, is I would say a definite vote loser

You would be surprised at how quickly it is all progressing - a lot of time and money is being invested and many countries are already laying down the infrastructure for electric vehicles.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about it - it is slowly moving out of the hands of politicians because big companies see that there is money to be made with the demand from the public increasing.
Plus what will be learnt and applied from the Electric Grand Prix cars (do they call it FE?) they have. Even with petrol/diesel F1 cars so much was learnt and steadily incorporated into the 'everyday car', e.g. miles per gallon, better tires, aerodynamics, etc and the same will/is happen(ing) with FE(?) cars

And that really is the key - crack the energy storage problem and the use of fossil fuels will decline rapidly. A lot of other storage solutions are being tested, too - molten sodium batteries, flywheels, water pumping/gravity storage, thermal storage.

IMO, this is a leap that will be as important to humanity as the internet - and we are not far off.

Very sad that the UK is seemingly not diving headlong into this new industrial revolution... our short term finance driven economic system is holding us back.

I thought the HS2 pause might signal a new intention to develop and operate cutting edge travel tech... but no.. a missed opportunity to send a signal to the world post Brexit that we are onboard with the new technological revolution. In the next five years Humans will become an inter planetary species...

For anyone interested you can watch 9m wide rockets taking shape in Texas here (more than double the width of a conventional rocket)..

Last edited:
Plus what will be learnt and applied from the Electric Grand Prix cars (do they call it FE?) they have. Even with petrol/diesel F1 cars so much was learnt and steadily incorporated into the 'everyday car', e.g. miles per gallon, better tires, aerodynamics, etc and the same will/is happen(ing) with FE(?) cars
That is definitely very interesting - I'm a long way from being an expert on electric cars, so will read up on that.

Very sad that the UK is seemingly not diving headlong into this new industrial revolution... our short term finance driven economic system is holding us back.

I thought the HS2 pause might signal a new intention to develop and operate cutting edge travel tech... but no.. a missed opportunity to send a signal to the world post Brexit that we are onboard with the new technological revolution. In the next five years Humans will become an inter planetary species...

For anyone interested you can watch 9m wide rockets taking shape in Texas here (more than double the width of a conventional rocket)..

I believe that some battery manufacturers are springing up - and, of course, it is not just about manufacture and research, but setting up a complete chain to recycle and reuse. Let's hope that the government supports this - although I am not too optimistic about that going by past records.

That is definitely very interesting - I'm a long way from being an expert on electric cars, so will read up on that.

It may come in EVENTUALY probably will

But as I said earlier a lot to be done yet to make it practicable
Certainly the figure suggested is not realistic to ordinary people IMO

It may come in EVENTUALY probably will

But as I said earlier a lot to be done yet to make it practicable
Certainly the figure suggested is not realistic to ordinary people IMO
2035 is difficult, albeit still achievable, with many technologies well underway. Doing it all by 2050 shouldn't be a problem at all.

It won't be ordinary people making these leaps. They can watch Corrie while the great minds like me get it done

Good Luck with that then

I can see a long crowd of Car Owners stood there crying while their cars are loaded onto transporter's on the way to the Scrap heap
Who do you think they will take their revenge out on?
It will make Brexit look like a tea party

2035 is difficult, albeit still achievable, with many technologies well underway. Doing it all by 2050 shouldn't be a problem at all.

Difficult?

You are right there
Because even at 2035 (if it comes in then) it will drastically effect the New a and Second Hand car Market well before that
People are worry about how Brexit will affect the supply chain; imagine if people STOP buying Cars because their future car will be worth Zero, and that effect on those employed making them

Good Luck with that then

I can see a long crowd of Car Owners stood there crying while their cars are loaded onto transporter's on the way to the Scrap heap
Who do you think they will take their revenge out on?
It will make Brexit look like a tea party
Your probably picturing electric cars as turd cars but my mate Joe Rogan tells me they are ace. And just wait for when you can install clunky engine sounds and gear box noises. It'll be like we're in normal cars. I don't think they'll start taking people's cars off em. I think they'll just stop building them for regular folk.. me and musk have been working on ways to improve it all John, even house deliveries are going to be delivered via a tube that goes underground and straight to your house.

Difficult?

You are right there
Because even at 2035 (if it comes in then) it will drastically effect the New a and Second Hand car Market well before that
People are worry about how Brexit will affect the supply chain; imagine if people STOP buying Cars because their future car will be worth Zero, and that effect on those employed making them
In the same way that we shouldn't have developed word processors because of the effect on the typewriter market. :)

I believe that some battery manufacturers are springing up - and, of course, it is not just about manufacture and research, but setting up a complete chain to recycle and reuse. Let's hope that the government supports this - although I am not too optimistic about that going by past records.

An opportunity for a high tech and innovation focused opposition to seize the political initiative.. hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Your probably picturing electric cars as turd cars but my mate Joe Rogan tells me they are ace. And just wait for when you can install clunky engine sounds and gear box noises. It'll be like we're in normal cars. I don't think they'll start taking people's cars off em. I think they'll just stop building them for regular folk.. me and musk have been working on ways to improve it all John, even house deliveries are going to be delivered via a tube that goes underground and straight to your house.
In the same way that we shouldn't have developed word processors because of the effect on the typewriter market. :)
The combine harvester was feared to death by the farming industry once upon a time
An opportunity for a tech and innovation minded opposition to seize the initiative.. hmmmmm.

All the above points are valid

If you check what I actually FIRST posted
It was because of the time part of bringing them in
If they can be brought in on time, and the present limitations be overcome, IF so fine?
BUT that will still leave thousands of Cars on sale NOW worth little or nothing in value
I am not sure how any Government is going to handle that and stay in Power

If they can be brought in on time, and the present limitations be overcome, IF so fine?
BUT that will still leave thousands of Cars on sale NOW worth little or nothing in value

What politicians say and what they deliver are usually quite different... Boris can't commit a future government to delivering his target.
If Boris is committing to a date he probably knows it is going to happen by then anyway.

The pace of change is undoubtedly increasing.

I believe electric cars and hybrids will become much more common... and there will be reduced demand for pure internal combustion vehicles. Hybrids will also become much more common.

Folks will still be driving diesel just not buying new.

What was the time frame. 10-15 years ? I think you'll be surprised at the rate things change.. might be a slow change for a decade then it just clicks and starts moving alot faster, some of the things we have now or at least how good some technology has become we couldn't imagine 20 years ago. The pace is fast Johnyboi

What politicians say and what they deliver are usually quite different... Boris can't commit a future government to delivering his target.

The pace of change is undoubtedly increasing.

I believe electric cars will become much more common... and there will be reduced demand for pure internal combustion vehicles. Hybrids will also become much more common.

Folks will still be driving diesel just not buying new.
Yup - and some sort of scrappage/part exchange scheme could help to overcome the initial reluctance.

Prices will come down as production methods improve and demand increases - just like solar panels.

Yup - and some sort of scrappage/part exchange scheme could help to overcome the initial reluctance.

Prices will come down as production methods improve and demand increases - just like solar panels.
I don't like the idea of everything being public transport tho. The pod thing... Minority report earth, no thanks. Leccy cars but driven by people. automation of everything isn't the way to go.. people go to sleep in them Tesla cars.. mad Berks