PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lee Collins - Yeovil Town Captain passes away

Absolutely the right thing to be done.
Footballers start their careers as young as 16, a career that lasts in some cases 25 years, a career that let's face it, you can't get to the top of and then quit to work in normal public jobs. Once you hit that retirement age, which bare in mind isn't the 65+ age for normal jobs, what do you do? You've still got 30+ years of not having the job you love, being able to do what you've known your whole life.

Have people been failed in terms of mental health because of the stigma of them being overpaid and unrelatable to the fans? Just some people that kick a ball on a pitch or a pitch on a football screen, just some live versions of people that kick a ball on a pitch on a games console? People whose identities are reduced to the name on their clothes, like soldiers?

He left behind a lovely family, nobody should have to go through that.
Just to add, these lads have a proper rollercoaster of emotions poured at them. I have seen it first hand where they have everything thrown at them from being children. They are told they are brilliant everyday, sometimes for years. Then a club releases them without warning. Then another club takes a chance, tells them how good they are, then inevitably it goes sour, or injuries or the social side catches up. I can see how some struggle with the lifestyle.

Just to add, these lads have a proper rollercoaster of emotions poured at them. I have seen it first hand where they have everything thrown at them from being children. They are told they are brilliant everyday, sometimes for years. Then a club releases them without warning. Then another club takes a chance, tells them how good they are, then inevitably it goes sour, or injuries or the social side catches up. I can see how some struggle with the lifestyle.
I often cringe when i read on here how people completely forget that these footballers are young human beings.

One of the most disgraceful comments I read is describing these young players as deadwood etc.

I often cringe when i read on here how people completely forget that these footballers are young human beings.

One of the most disgraceful comments I read is describing these young players as deadwood etc.

Totally agree. I think footballers get a rough deal. Just because they are paid quite well doesn’t make them happy.

I actually had a look and the top ten paid footballers in the UK are worth less than the top ten musicians. Yet one group are classed as ‘overpaid’ and the other hardly gets a mention. Food for thought?

I actually had a look and the top ten paid footballers in the UK are worth less than the top ten musicians. Yet one group are classed as ‘overpaid’ and the other hardly gets a mention. Food for thought?

Interesting isn't it? Because singing and music is seen as a talent, an X Factor, while footballers are put down for being 10 grown men chasing a football plus a goalkeeper.
Football is liked by football fans, music is liked by most people on the planet, so although there are more people to scrutinise music artists, they get less scrutiny.

Yes, some footballers are overpaid, but then how do you pay an elite footballer £20 an hour in this day in age with everything that football has become over the years? Just isn't going to happen. Same with actors, same with music artists. It's a monster that gets fed, people shouldn't expect a ten tonne Goliath to be happy eating iceberg lettuce.

So much needs to change about footballer's mental health though, rugby players and F1 drivers too I suspect, perhaps the latter have broader career paths though.

Totally agree. I think footballers get a rough deal. Just because they are paid quite well doesn’t make them happy.

I guess you don't find many record companies struggling because of the money paid to artists. The musicians make record bosses wealthy.
Quite often it's the other way around with football. The truly big artists make a lot of thier money through royalties which is in direct proportion to thier success.
Still doesn't excuse the 'fair game' status footballers seem to have regarding the abuse.

Yep.
The deadwood type comment irritates me too.

It bemuses me on here to read that x, y or z player is/are crap, stealing a wage, pay them up, bin them off, etc.
These are people who have been deemed good enough at there profession to be offered and given a contract and for whatever reason it isn't quite working out. I doubt any pro footballer doesn't try to give 100%.

Also, Too many posters/fans criticise those who move on to better themselves as being 'disloyal' and then 2 days later will be on posts saying we should do the above (bin off, pay up etc) those they don't rate.

The pressures of being a pro footballer must be hard enough without irrational fans adding to there problems.